New Build help please for Video editing and Podcast Video Capture

Associate
Hi all - advice on the latest spec kit for this build would be appreciated, thanks.

• Budget: £1500 to £2000 (of course, if cheaper, won't complain!)
  • Will be used for: Davinchi Resolve Video Editing, Audio Editing with Descript, 4K Video Capture from DSLR and Audio from Focusrite Scarlett - won't be gaming - needs to be quiet - I will be capturing using Elgato Camlink 4k via USB, but I want to make sure if necessary, I can use the 4K Pro with the motherboard
  • I don't need monitor, keyboard or mouse and I've got a Windows License already
  • I've already got the SSD: Crucial T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink. I have a Thunderbolt dock. If I can go graphics card free that would be a bonus for energy usage if an onboard CPU graphics option would suffice.
Many thanks

Scott

Man of Honour
Hi.

Davici resolve as far as I'm aware greatly benefits from GPU encoding using cuda and is much faster than CPU.

Intel CPU with there dedicated encoder mite be a good option but if time is money then a gpu should be on the list.

You could always buy a 14700k intel and see how it performs using the integrated solution then drop in a GPU if you want later.

Would suggest you look further into GPU encoding in the programmes you use.

Mite as well go 64 GB memory.

Ok added a 3060gpu but can be dropped if you want to try intel quicksyn encoder.

CPU cooler get the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 se for £30, it's the performance king.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,280.88 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your advice and time, really appreciated. Is this the latest generation of kit so should be pretty future-proof? I think I'll try the CPU on board graphics first as you suggest and see how I get on.

Is the cooler nice and quiet too? I've usually used Noctua coolers before.

Cheers

Scott

Man of Honour
ha fair question, I just mean the latest generation of CPU / Memory etc so I'll get a good life out of it
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this kind of editing is either: it works, it doesn't work and the secondary question is: "how long does it take?". So, I'd assume that if the PC stays capable of doing what you need, then it will last until you're fed up with how long it takes.

In regards to the CPU, the 14700K is one of the fastest consumer productivity / content creation CPUs you can buy (i.e. excluding threadripper and xeon PCs, which are outrageously expensive) and 64GB of RAM should be more than fine for now.

You can see how it performs in reviews like this.

The graphics: Intel's integrated graphics are very capable, but if their speed and responsiveness will be enough for your needs, I don't know. You could get anything from a £300 4060 to a £2K 4090, so it really depends on you. Puget and this YouTube channel have a lot of content creation articles, like this:

I think the suggestion of starting off with the UHD 770 and seeing how it goes makes sense.

Man of Honour
Thanks for your advice and time, really appreciated. Is this the latest generation of kit so should be pretty future-proof? I think I'll try the CPU on board graphics first as you suggest and see how I get on.

Is the cooler nice and quiet too? I've usually used Noctua coolers before.

Cheers

Scott
Your welcome

The Thermalright Phantom Spirit Cpu cooler is excellent but intel 14th gen run hot and as your not using a GPU then CPU is going to work hard.

Review with 13700k

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom