Associate
Hi there,

I've just built a new system consisting of:
Asus A8N-SLi Premium
AMD X2 3800
1 Gb pqi DDR400
XFX 6800 GS (xxx edition)
Antec Sonata II & Antec 450W Smartpower PSU

After switching the system on for the first time, I get the Asus logo screen with a message telling me to hit Delete to enter setup. However, when I hit delete, nothing happens. If I reboot and hit delete early enough, i can get the message to change to "Entering Setup..." but the system just hangs and I cannot get into the BIOS.

My Power LEDS are all on and Power/Reset buttons are working fine. I get one short beep when I turn the computer on at first (which was normal enough in my last PC) but no other beeps/warnings. Also, the PSU fan does NOT seem to be spinning at all but the 120mm case fan is. My PSU fan is correctly connected to the PWR_FAN connector on the motherboard - is it normal enough for it not to be spinning until the system boots up or is this a problem?

Any help appreciated on this - I'm hoping someone else has came across this problem and might be able to offer some advice.

Cheers.

McG

McG

Associate
OP
I have a ps2 keyboard - and you're right, I have to hit Delete very early to get the "Entering Setup..." message, but it just hangs there...

I think I have set things up wrongly - maybe you could give me some advice on re-arranging my cables? My rear fan and case 4 pin power plugs have been inserted into the EZ-Plug slot - I'm 99% sure now that this is wrong (I'm at work so I can't reseat them until this evening) Can you confim for me where they are actually meant to be seated? I'm using a 24-pin psu which has been seated in the correct 24-pin slot. I'm only running one gfx card so am I right in saying that there shouldn't be anything in the EZ-plug at all? Sorry - new at this pc build business!

Thanks in advance.

McG

McG

Associate
OP
not sure if I've installed the rectangular p4 power connector - where abouts on the board should it have been installed and what's meant to be plugged into it? The problem I had is that I didin't know where else to plug the rear fan and the front power lead (both on the antec sonata case) so thought they had to be plugged in to the EZ-plug. I'll re-arrange cables when I get home from work and keep you posted...

Cheers for the helps guys.

McG

McG

Associate
OP
yeah - i have connected the lead from the PSU into the 4 pin connector, and also have the 24 pin lead coming from the PSU connected to the board. I'll have to have a good look when I get home and post back thsi evening...

Cheers

McG

McG

Associate
OP
Hi all - just wanted to say thanks for the help! I'm now up and running ok - cables plugged into EZ plug was one problem and IDE cables seated incorrectly was another... :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Back
Top Bottom