Associate
Hi there,

I've just built a new system consisting of:
Asus A8N-SLi Premium
AMD X2 3800
1 Gb pqi DDR400
XFX 6800 GS (xxx edition)
Antec Sonata II & Antec 450W Smartpower PSU

After switching the system on for the first time, I get the Asus logo screen with a message telling me to hit Delete to enter setup. However, when I hit delete, nothing happens. If I reboot and hit delete early enough, i can get the message to change to "Entering Setup..." but the system just hangs and I cannot get into the BIOS.

My Power LEDS are all on and Power/Reset buttons are working fine. I get one short beep when I turn the computer on at first (which was normal enough in my last PC) but no other beeps/warnings. Also, the PSU fan does NOT seem to be spinning at all but the 120mm case fan is. My PSU fan is correctly connected to the PWR_FAN connector on the motherboard - is it normal enough for it not to be spinning until the system boots up or is this a problem?

Any help appreciated on this - I'm hoping someone else has came across this problem and might be able to offer some advice.

Cheers.

Associate
If you have a speaker connect it up. The asus motherboards have the speaking error reporter.

Also make sure you have connected all the relevant power connectors to the motherboard. Asus boards usually have extra ones (the last one I built did).

I guess your PSU fan is temp controlled and no doubt its chilly its not spinning yet?

Are you using PS2 Keyboard or USB?

Sounds a bit odd though , sorry I can't help anymore but I think the beep is deffo an error.

Associate
i have the same motherboard, i get the beep on startup and it's normal... i also have found u have to hit delete realtively early for it to enter setup... hmm but usually if it says Entering Setup... it will.. but im sure the beep is normal on startup.

McG

McG

Associate
OP
I have a ps2 keyboard - and you're right, I have to hit Delete very early to get the "Entering Setup..." message, but it just hangs there...

I think I have set things up wrongly - maybe you could give me some advice on re-arranging my cables? My rear fan and case 4 pin power plugs have been inserted into the EZ-Plug slot - I'm 99% sure now that this is wrong (I'm at work so I can't reseat them until this evening) Can you confim for me where they are actually meant to be seated? I'm using a 24-pin psu which has been seated in the correct 24-pin slot. I'm only running one gfx card so am I right in saying that there shouldn't be anything in the EZ-plug at all? Sorry - new at this pc build business!

Thanks in advance.

Associate
You are indeed correct, you don't need to plug anything into the EZPlug slot, unless your using two graphics cards. Try removing any connections on that first, and maybe try connection the CPU Fan, to a different 3 pin header on the motherboard in case something has happended to the cpu fan header. It should still boot up, but will probably complain about no fan speed, which can be switched off if needed.

Associate
I installed one of these boards yesterday.
I did not use the EZ-plug as u only need it for SLI.
Try keeping the delete key constantly depressed when you reboot. Also see if you can borrow a friends USB keyboard.
Have u installed the rectangular P4 power connector?
Also try clearing the CMOS.
The initial short beep just confirms that your graphics are ok.

McG

McG

Associate
OP
not sure if I've installed the rectangular p4 power connector - where abouts on the board should it have been installed and what's meant to be plugged into it? The problem I had is that I didin't know where else to plug the rear fan and the front power lead (both on the antec sonata case) so thought they had to be plugged in to the EZ-plug. I'll re-arrange cables when I get home from work and keep you posted...

Cheers for the helps guys.

McG

McG

Associate
OP
yeah - i have connected the lead from the PSU into the 4 pin connector, and also have the 24 pin lead coming from the PSU connected to the board. I'll have to have a good look when I get home and post back thsi evening...

Cheers

McG

McG

Associate
OP
Hi all - just wanted to say thanks for the help! I'm now up and running ok - cables plugged into EZ plug was one problem and IDE cables seated incorrectly was another... :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Back
Top Bottom