New build that won't melt?

Associate
Hey all,

Been a while so this is a slightly more nervous build.... mainly because of the doubt around the 12VHPWR fear of melting...

If anyone can see any glaring errors I've made, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.
One of the main reasons for posting is that hopefully somebody has some experience with the cablemod i chose. I'm going on the assumption that with it being an extension, so therefore using the original cable from psu, it will be ok?

(Also, what happened to the browser addon for baskets? o_O)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £4,519.73 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

£245 (incl. VAT)
£150 (incl. VAT)
£140 (incl. VAT)
£305 (incl. VAT)
£290 (incl. VAT)
£420 (incl. VAT)
£360 (incl. VAT)
Soldato
The build is fine, you picked a ATX3.0 PSU which has the native connector for GPU's no need for any of the included adapters with GPUs.

The media did blow up worry and scaremongering, yes a few PC's had issues, but honestly the % this happened to is very mininal. Just make sure to push the connectors in well and don't have sharp bends in the connector cables near the connectors.

Man of Honour
From what I've seen on the repair shop channels on YouTube, using the native PSU cables is the most reliable option, so if you can avoid an extension cable I'd strongly recommend it. CableMod have recalled their angled adapters and a lot of these showed up in the repair shops, but I don't think any other adapter was included in the recall.

Suggestions to make it cheaper:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,480.82 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Comments on your build:
This is unusually fast memory for the X3D, have you checked how likely you are to hit these speeds and if it is worthwhile?

This is really expensive for 2TB, pretty much double a high-end PCI-E 4.0 drive, have you checked that your workloads meaningfully benefit?

Associate
This ram will be better suited to the x3d chip.

The Corsair ram you specced isn't on the motherboard qvl and it's stated as optimised for intel, doesn't mention AMD.

So there is a high possibility you will have issues caused by the ram.

The am5 platform is very sensitive to ram types

Last edited:
Soldato

This is unnecessary unless you are doing major IO and Gen 5 SSDs run very hot.

Save yourself up to £400 and get a much cheaper model. If you must have white then the Zotac is £200 cheaper, has a 5 year warranty, and has UK RMA.

Associate
OP
Appreciate all the responses guys. All very sensible too. Thanks.

Regarding the GFX card, I know i could save some money but i could save a lot of money on the whole build if i wasn't going for aesthetics (This is unusual for me as i don't normally care about it) The Zotac mentioned, unfortunately looks like a soap dish and it would laugh at me every time i booted up :D
Ram wise is again, aesthetics, speed and timing wise the G skill is the better choice. I'll see how i get on though.

SSD is going to be handy later down the line and i have 2 other ssds already for main drive etc. Trigger is pulled now so lord have mercy on my soul.....

Associate
Appreciate all the responses guys. All very sensible too. Thanks.

Regarding the GFX card, I know i could save some money but i could save a lot of money on the whole build if i wasn't going for aesthetics (This is unusual for me as i don't normally care about it) The Zotac mentioned, unfortunately looks like a soap dish and it would laugh at me every time i booted up :D
Ram wise is again, aesthetics, speed and timing wise the G skill is the better choice. I'll see how i get on though.

SSD is going to be handy later down the line and i have 2 other ssds already for main drive etc. Trigger is pulled now so lord have mercy on my soul.....

Shame they don't do that Corsair ram at a slower speed tbh, looks fantastic.

Lolz at the soap dish, everytime I look at the. Zotac cards I think they look odd and like I see something similar elsewhere, soap dish describes them perfectly.

Associate
OP
Shame they don't do that Corsair ram at a slower speed tbh, looks fantastic.

Lolz at the soap dish, everytime I look at the. Zotac cards I think they look odd and like I see something similar elsewhere, soap dish describes them perfectly.
Yeah i had to go with a couple of things i didn't ideally want. Really wanted a 420 Galahad cooler also.
I will be passing stuff to my Dads build eventually so will be able to go full custom water loop at some point and he can have the cooler and ram if need be.
You've got me worried about the ram now though o_O Hopefully it plays nice

Commissario
I'm not sure if it's included in that case or not, but make sure you have some additional support for the video card.

I've seen a lot of posts and videos of the higher end video cards that have died due to the weight of the card being far too much for what the PCIE connector and backplate alone can take, so make sure there is something that can support the weight near the front of it and an extra £5-30 for one is well worth it.

I've said it before, the old Globalwin 802 was decades ahead of it's time, it had a bracket you could fit that allowed you to support every single card in the machine (IIRC it was an extra £6 at the time, and had the main upright bar and a set of something like 20 assorted supports you could choose from).

Associate
OP
I'm not sure if it's included in that case or not, but make sure you have some additional support for the video card.

I've seen a lot of posts and videos of the higher end video cards that have died due to the weight of the card being far too much for what the PCIE connector and backplate alone can take, so make sure there is something that can support the weight near the front of it and an extra £5-30 for one is well worth it.

I've said it before, the old Globalwin 802 was decades ahead of it's time, it had a bracket you could fit that allowed you to support every single card in the machine (IIRC it was an extra £6 at the time, and had the main upright bar and a set of something like 20 assorted supports you could choose from).
It is supposed to come with an anti sag bracket... We shall see tomorrow morning o_O

Associate
Yeah i had to go with a couple of things i didn't ideally want. Really wanted a 420 Galahad cooler also.
I will be passing stuff to my Dads build eventually so will be able to go full custom water loop at some point and he can have the cooler and ram if need be.
You've got me worried about the ram now though o_O Hopefully it plays nice

The g skill will be fine.

Im pretty certain that the high speed Corsair would have quite the number of issues or at least require plenty of tweaking to make stable

Associate
OP
The g skill will be fine.

Im pretty certain that the high speed Corsair would have quite the number of issues or at least require plenty of tweaking to make stable
Yeah that's the one i ordered... the corsair :D I have no issue with tweaking but may just swap it out if there are too many issues.... Couple of hours before it all hits the doormat... wish me luck

Associate
OP
Ram is fine and dandy for those that may be interested. Booted at 4800 but it pushed to 6k with no issues.
Not tried pushing it any further as build is technically not finished due to ordering the wrong Lian Li fan controller ¬_¬
Tomorrow.....

Associate
OP
Few days of testing and running some games. Stable with the Corsair at full speed. No overclocks yet, may try later for gits and shiggles.
OCD regarding bottom fans being upside down is also stable but may get some reverse further down the line.
QMEfWpb.jpg

Associate
Few days of testing and running some games. Stable with the Corsair at full speed. No overclocks yet, may try later for gits and shiggles.
OCD regarding bottom fans being upside down is also stable but may get some reverse further down the line.
QMEfWpb.jpg
Like that, very nice, well done to you.

Associate
OP
Very nice mate! Just the right amount of subtle lighting without turning into a disco/pride parade!
When i finally got the right controller, i installed it and the six fans came on with full rgb mentalness before i could get the software sorted. It was like one of those houses at Christmas that always go over the top with Christmas lights. Crazy.

Associate
Just seen so a little late. Very nice build. i assume the aio came with thermal paste preapplied. I'd be a bit careful with arctic silver. It's electrically conductive and a bit old school, so do a messy job and it can short your mobo out. This was pointed out to me as used it on my first every build many moons ago. Now i use noctua nth2 but my last was arctic air cooler and think came with mx5 in the box. I like them as they are long lasting pastes so dont degrade in performance quickly, unlike some that require repasting every year. They're also non conductive so if you make a mess, it's a mess, that's it

Associate
OP
Just seen so a little late. Very nice build. i assume the aio came with thermal paste preapplied. I'd be a bit careful with arctic silver. It's electrically conductive and a bit old school, so do a messy job and it can short your mobo out. This was pointed out to me as used it on my first every build many moons ago. Now i use noctua nth2 but my last was arctic air cooler and think came with mx5 in the box. I like them as they are long lasting pastes so dont degrade in performance quickly, unlike some that require repasting every year. They're also non conductive so if you make a mess, it's a mess, that's it
It did come with paste but i cleaned it off and used the AS5.. Used it for donkeys years with no issues. Pea size ftw ;)

Back
Top Bottom