New career later in life?

Soldato
Networking, you could easily get a Network+ and CCNA quickly enough if you were motivated.

Otherwise you could become a financial advisor? There are two 1 year courses you can choose from. Although this one is preferable among the industry apparently

Soldato
The way I’m reading it is that you want to get rid off your business and use the funds to start a new business.. unless it’s doing badly, Would your current business not survive without you?
Hire someone to do your role, that way you have some sort of income and a fall back career if needed..

Hire someone, get a job on another career path working for someone or a company to learn the ropes… who knows you might hate it and you wouldn’t have wasted funds setting up a business.. if it goes well then liquidate your business.

Soldato
This will sound very obvious and basic but what are you interested in doing? We spend so much of our life at work that it's probably a good idea to do something you enjoy and/or are good at and/or helps others (whatever that may mean). I had an old boss who used to frame it as "Imagine you're on a game show and you have 10 seconds to give your answer. What's your gut feel?". That's your intuitive answer. The harder part might be how to make that a reality but at least it gives you a sense of purpose.

Mine would be a pilot.

Op, could you afford to train as a pilot?

Associate
I must admit that I only have a very limited understanding of what they do, but I'm guessing that there is a risk that AI might start replacing those in the next decade or so?

Honestly I think AI will play a role in most careers relatively soon.

@hans gruber what is your age? With 20+ careers it can be quite hard to change if you're in your late 50s but easier if you're in your early 40s! It sounds quite vague to me currently and I think Magnolia hinted at the same that maybe it's a problem with current situation rather than a passion for something else. Changing wouldn't make it better then...

I would take some holiday and really try and clear the mind a bit. What is the purpose of work for you, why are you doing it? Is it covering up personal life, is it meeting your expected standard of living etc?

Simply swapping to start inevitably lower down the ladder is just a distraction than a solution.

I'm interested in hearing you solving this problem as I think it's good for everyone to examine this now and then.

Associate
OP
I hear that Baltimore is looking for structural engineers, you can probably educate yourself to degree level using all the expertise here.
I used to be quite good at this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.headupgames.bridgeconstructor&hl=en&gl=US, so maybe I should apply.

You have to be so old to understand this :cry:
Lol. It took me while. I never did recover from losing those detonators.

I'm early..ish forties and think if in 10-20 years I'm still doing exactly what I do now in the same way I will be really peeved. There isn't really any other direction I can take my current career. I work for myself and that is a bonus and I would like to do something that has little or much less contact with general public. I enjoy working on my own and am much pore productive when I do.

Soldato
I used to be quite good at this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.headupgames.bridgeconstructor&hl=en&gl=US, so maybe I should apply.

Lol. It took me while. I never did recover from losing those detonators.

I'm early..ish forties and think if in 10-20 years I'm still doing exactly what I do now in the same way I will be really peeved. There isn't really any other direction I can take my current career. I work for myself and that is a bonus and I would like to do something that has little or much less contact with general public. I enjoy working on my own and am much pore productive when I do.

Honestly in the same boat, i've been working in retail for the past 15 years and worked up into senior management but its so boring and tiresome. I've recently took up a new path being in my late 30's now and decided to take a career as a Driving Instructor. It's good to look at new things and new paths to keep life interesting and fresh, nothing wrong with it at all.

Caporegime
Honestly in the same boat, i've been working in retail for the past 15 years and worked up into senior management but its so boring and tiresome. I've recently took up a new path being in my late 30's now and decided to take a career as a Driving Instructor. It's good to look at new things and new paths to keep life interesting and fresh, nothing wrong with it at all.

I did a similar thing. I was circa 15 years in food manufacturing. Worked my way up to senior management (In charge of 50-100 people). Became entirely depressed with all the politics and mentally challenged people above and retrained as a HGV driver 3 years ago. I am 37 now.

I absolutely love the job I do now. No longer have the Sunday dread and am always excited for the day ahead. Working on your own is a massive positive for me. Only negative is you get treat like a second rate citizen by most people and the hours are long but I have thick skin and only work 4 days a week so I do regular hours.

I could quite easily do this job until I retire and even a couple of days a week to top up my pension. I think it is a great ace to have in your sleeve too as you can literally work anywhere in the world.

Saying all that I am looking to do something at the Open Uni this September as I have a lot of free time on my hands and always want to improve financially. Academically I was always quite strong (A's in Maths and Science) but my father died when I was 20 and I had a child at 21 so was thrust into the work place quite quickly as I needed to provide. Only now am I really financially secure to do something else without any great risk.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did a similar thing. I was circa 15 years in food manufacturing. Worked my way up to senior management (In charge of 50-100 people). Became entirely depressed with all the politics and mentally challenged people above and retrained as a HGV driver 3 years ago. I am 37 now.

I absolutely love the job I do now. No longer have the Sunday dread and am always excited for the day ahead. Working on your own is a massive positive for me. Only negative is you get treat like a second rate citizen by most people and the hours are long but I have thick skin and only work 4 days a week so I do regular hours.

I could quite easily do this job until I retire and even a couple of days a week to top up my pension. I think it is a great ace to have in your sleeve too as you can literally work anywhere in the world.

Saying all that I am looking to do something at the Open Uni this September as I have a lot of free time on my hands and always want to improve financially. Academically I was always quite strong (A's in Maths and Science) but my father died when I was 20 and I had a child at 21 so was thrust into the work place quite quickly as I needed to provide. Only now am I really financially secure to do something else without any great risk.

That's an epic rollercoaster man, you've been through quite abit and i'm so happy for you now that you're able to do more with your life.

I've always been the opposite school wise, i was never that academically inclined, hated studying and only managed B & C's at GSCE, College, did Uni but barely. I've always felt if i hadn't gone to uni and just worked i probably would have gotten more out of life if i got into an apprenticeship instead as i've always been more of a creative character and liked using my hands more.

That's another reason to get out of what im doing now, so i can provide for a child. There is no way i can sustain that if i stayed at what i'm doing now if the wife stays home hence another reason to change career. The plan is to work 4 days 10-11 hour weeks which should be enough to sustain a hefty income while allowing me to stay home and relieve the pressure on my wife.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom