• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New cpu

Associate
Hi guys, so im looking to upgrade my cpu as im being bottlenecked with mine.
So at the minute i have a Ryzen 5 2600 pairing with a 6800xt gpu on a aorus elite b450 motherboard.
The last couple of games i have tried to play, i am struggling with, like battlefield 2042 which i am getting 100% cpu usage and hell let loose.
I dont play loads so not really after a top end one, just somthing that i can casually play without problems.

Thanks

Soldato
Thank you, oh god i hate updating bios!!, last time i did that, 1 of memory slots stopped working and kept causing BSOD,, took me ages figure out what was causing it .

You can check the current BIOS version but B450 was released before 5xxx so would likely not recognise the CPU. 3xxx is not really worth the upgrade right now unless on a very tight budget.

For gaming I'd go for the fastest 8 cores in my budget though the 5800x is not that much faster hence 5700X

As long as you pick the right BIOS it's rare for an issue to occur.

Associate
If it's purely for gaming use, then consider the 5800X3D if you can get a good deal vs the 5700X or 5800X. You would need to update your BIOS to support the new processors though. If you have made any changes to your BIOS settings over standard, then it's always a good idea to take some photos of each menu page on your phone with details of the settings. There were a couple of settings such as CPU fan for an AIO water cooler that was fitted, RAID and default boot order that I had change after an update.

Associate
OP
If it's purely for gaming use, then consider the 5800X3D if you can get a good deal vs the 5700X or 5800X. You would need to update your BIOS to support the new processors though. If you have made any changes to your BIOS settings over standard, then it's always a good idea to take some photos of each menu page on your phone with details of the settings. There were a couple of settings such as CPU fan for an AIO water cooler that was fitted, RAID and default boot order that I had change after an update.
Thanks you, is it worth the extra 60-70 pound for occasional gaming, dont get me wrong, it is only gaming i use it for but only use it maybe twice a week these days.

Also on the subject of bios, would you or anyone have any idea that when i boot my pc up, it dont boot, the fans come on and off and you can hear try start up then cuts off. But just keeps doing it over and over, nothing starts up, i have to keep wiggling my mouse and pressing keys on my keyboard for it to start up.

Man of Honour
Thanks you, is it worth the extra 60-70 pound for occasional gaming, dont get me wrong, it is only gaming i use it for but only use it maybe twice a week these days.
This video is a comparison between the 5800X and 5800X3D:

This video shows how competitive the X3D is with newer CPUs:

HUB said in the video above that the 5700X3D is usually the better buy because it isn't much slower than the 5800X3D and is often much cheaper, though I'm not sure what the UK prices are right now.

Associate

Also on the subject of bios, would you or anyone have any idea that when i boot my pc up, it dont boot, the fans come on and off and you can hear try start up then cuts off. But just keeps doing it over and over, nothing starts up, i have to keep wiggling my mouse and pressing keys on my keyboard for it to start up.
Only you can decide if it's worth the extra money! Some people will pay hundreds for a slightly better graphics card, or faster memory that gets them at most a few extra fps.

For occasional use, I'd be tempted to go wth the cheaper option as you will likely notice a big improvement over your current setup. The extra performance from the X3D might be worth the extra outlay for some games where the extra cache makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom