'New Deal for Football'

Don
The Times are reporting a long list of reforms from 2024 are being discussed by the PL. I guess no everybody will subscribe to the Times so some bullet points of the ideas being discussed are as follows:
  • No more FA Cup replays.
  • Teams in Europe will either not compete in the League Cup or field u21 teams.
  • Parachute payments will be greatly reduced.
  • Extra funding will go to the EFL however this will be paid on a sliding scale so more money goes to those at the top of the Championship than those at the bottom.
  • Tighter spending restrictions on PL clubs, similar to UEFA's new version of FFP where by clubs have to reach a certain breakeven threshold but also cannot spend more than x% of turnover on wages and transfer fees. PL will push for EFL to introduce the same.
  • The PL would provide infrastructure grants to the EFL - money towards stadium improvements etc.

So essentially the PL are bribing the EFL - free up the calendar with no more FA Cup replays and European sides in the League Cup and we'll pay you more money, and we'll pay for it with less money going to relegated PL sides.

Caporegime
The Times are reporting a long list of reforms from 2024 are being discussed by the PL. I guess no everybody will subscribe to the Times so some bullet points of the ideas being discussed are as follows:
  • No more FA Cup replays. Agree
  • Teams in Europe will either not compete in the League Cup or field u21 teams. Disagree
  • Parachute payments will be greatly reduced. Agree
  • Extra funding will go to the EFL however this will be paid on a sliding scale so more money goes to those at the top of the Championship than those at the bottom. Agree
  • Tighter spending restrictions on PL clubs, similar to UEFA's new version of FFP where by clubs have to reach a certain breakeven threshold but also cannot spend more than x% of turnover on wages and transfer fees. PL will push for EFL to introduce the same. Agree
  • The PL would provide infrastructure grants to the EFL - money towards stadium improvements etc. Agree

So essentially the PL are bribing the EFL - free up the calendar with no more FA Cup replays and European sides in the League Cup and we'll pay you more money, and we'll pay for it with less money going to relegated PL sides.

Caporegime
Playoffs need revamping too. I don’t like current format.
I've thought about this a few times. Finishing higher in the League should come with a benefit. I thought about 6th and 5th play each other, winner plays 4th and then winner plays 3rd place. That way 3rd place plays only 1 extra game, 4th potentially 2 extra and 5th and 6th play 3 more to get promoted.

Caporegime
I've thought about this a few times. Finishing higher in the League should come with a benefit. I thought about 6th and 5th play each other, winner plays 4th and then winner plays 3rd place. That way 3rd place plays only 1 extra game, 4th potentially 2 extra and 5th and 6th play 3 more to get promoted.
3rd in championship plays 18th in premier league. Sounds rubbish I know, but what a game that could be and it gives both clubs an opportunity, one for survival and one for glory

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don’t they do it in Scotland?
They used to. Then they introduced this weird split like four or five games from the end of the season. Not sure if they still do the playoff thing now though. I don't follow Scottish football that closely other than my local team and Heart or Midlothian.

Associate
Tighter spending restrictions on PL clubs, similar to UEFA's new version of FFP where by clubs have to reach a certain breakeven threshold but also cannot spend more than x% of turnover on wages and transfer fees. PL will push for EFL to introduce the same.
So no way for a mid size club to consistently punch up and become part of the new top 4 in our lifetime. I don't know why there isn't a system where if you have a player come through your academy for X years their wages don't count towards the Financial figures.

Soldato
Don’t they do it in Scotland?

They do and it's bloody pointless when there's only 10 teams in a league! The fourth place finish plays the 9th place in the league above while 2nd plays 3rd. The winner of those two play each other for the second promotion place behind the league winners. When brechin went up to the championship it worked out we had a greater number of losses than wins and still finished 4th :o I would hope that this wouldn't be the case if it's introduced down south.

Don
OP
This is a PL wide plan, not the top 6. The reason why many of the smaller PL sides will want this plan is because it will allow them to stop losing millions of pounds each season. As things stand, in order to compete they have to spend more than they can afford to but as soon as a cap like this is put into place then it prevents everybody from spending ott.

UEFA are introducing this same cap and it is likely to be even stricter than the PL's.

Soldato

The problem with this, is that usually the team that finishes 3rd and 4th to an extent have been in around the chase for automatic promotion and can have a psychological disadvantage to the teams that finish 5th and 6th that have gone on good runs of form to get there. Making them play more games and making the higher teams play less on the way to a final, 2 weeks after the end of the regular season would exacerbate this, not alleviate it.

Soldato
I agree with scrapping replays. I also agree with European clubs not playing in the League Cup. The FA and the FL won't though as they milk them for all they're worth.

I don't agree that spending caps bake anything in. The lack of spending cap means in that clubs spend money they haven't got or get from non-sporting sources, which damages the integrity of the sport itself. A line needs to be drawn sometime.

Back
Top Bottom