New DGteam Firmware (DG834GT)

Associate
Just installed this on my DG834GT. Gone from 3 and a bit meg up to 4meg now, which I'm very happy with considering my crappy line, though I'll have to monitor it for a few days, see how well it holds. Was a bit of a fuss to install it, since my router likes to brick itself every time you try and upgrade the firmware through the web interface. Works fine with the recovery tool on an XP machine however.

All I have done so far is play with the SNR slider. Set it to 10% with my current SNR margin between 7.4 and 7.6db. Obviously the firmware adds quite a lot of stuff to the web interface, most of which I don't understand. Is there anything else I can be doing to really maximise the speed/stability of my line?

Associate
Currently:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4256 kbps 576 kbps
Line Attenuation 46.0 db 28.0 db
Noise Margin 6.5 db 13.0 db

Don't have the previous stats, but downstream was roughly 3300kbps with of an SNR margin of around 12db. Attenuation and upstream are the same.

I have played with it since previous post as you can probably see, SNR slider is now at 1%

Soldato
phyre is ON
ADSL 2 is OFF (i get better speed forcing ADSL on my line)

SNR tweak until it becomes unstable then back it off about 5%
mostly everything else is at default
i can squeeze 3 meg from my line (below is currently at 100% snr.changeing this only makes a marginal difference nowb that i am on sky BB)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 3072 kbps 768 kbps Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db Noise Margin 7.5 db 8.0 db

InQ

InQ

Associate
Hi all,

I have a DG834GT running the latest Netgear official firmware - v1.3.23.

I am looking to upgrade to the DGteam to have a play more than anything, would you go with the DG834GT_V1.03.23_DGTeam_1012_eng_adsldrv023o.zip firmware or are there known issues? (from siteguru.co.uk).
Also is there any instructions to go through to make sure it doesnt go pearshaped?

I'm on ADSLMax but going to ADSL2+ in a couple of weeks (TalkTalk LLU but via XILO).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
This thread just caught my attention!

I've got a DG834GT that I use solely as a modem, as out of all the routers/modems I found in my cupboard it's the fastest on my line (O2/BeThere ADSL2). It's running the latest Netgear official firmware v1.3.23 and is in modem mode (192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm for those that didn't know stock firmware can do it).
As such all of the fancy features of DGteam firmware are useless for me, all I use the DG834GT for is as a modem (a pure PPPoE to MPOA bridge passing the public IP address to my router's WAN port).

Is there anything to be gained from using the DGteam firmware instead of Netgear v1.3.23? Does it have a better broadcom modem driver that'll get faster sync or anything?

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Soldato
Well I've flashed DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv023o.img onto mine... and I can't get modem mode to work properly. On the Netgear Firmware modem mode gets rid of loads of the menus and my routers WAN port (plugged into LAN1 on the DG834GT) gets my public IP address, but on the DGteam firwmare the routers WAN port gets given 192.168.0.2 :rolleyes:.

Is there a way of getting Modem Mode to work properly on DGteam? Or should I head back to the Netgear firmware?

Associate
OP
Mines been on modem for years, it only supports fully bridged i.e. in modem mode it doesn't assign ips. The only options under lan should be router ip and sub net mask. I found assigning the modem a static ip then rebooting both it and the router was all that was ever needed. If the router defaults to 192.168.0.1 and the modems taken it the router will just have something else.

This issue is one of a couple reasons it's so much easier having the modem on 192.168.0.1 and the router/everything else on 192.168.1.x.

Soldato
Mines been on modem for years, it only supports fully bridged i.e. in modem mode it doesn't assign ips. The only options under lan should be router ip and sub net mask. I found assigning the modem a static ip then rebooting both it and the router was all that was ever needed. If the router defaults to 192.168.0.1 and the modems taken it the router will just have something else.

This issue is one of a couple reasons it's so much easier having the modem on 192.168.0.1 and the router/everything else on 192.168.1.x.

I know how it's meant to work, and indeed I've done it on my DG834GT with Netgear v1.3.23 :). However when on DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv023o.img it doesn't work (just like how on a DG834Gv5 with the Netgear firmware you can set it to modem mode but it doesn't actually make the change).

I've had a quick google and found other people having problems with Modem Mode on DGTeam firmware too (even a thread here on OcUK), but you say you've got it working... Which version of DGTeam firmware are you running?

Associate
OP
1018 o230. I reset, flash then reset usually. If things don't work I simply repeat until they do. Must be a glitch somewhere. Iirc 1018 was pretty much all bug fixes, but 1012 has the same adsl driver so it's probably worth a shot if it still wont play ball.

Soldato
Do you just pick it and flash the firmware like any other router? Nothing special to do before I try mine with this firmware? I'm running Netgear stock 1.3.23.

I did the reset pin to clear my settings, but then just uploaded it through the update menu in the Netgear firmware :).

Back
Top Bottom