• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New graphics card needed.

Associate
Good Morning everyone,

I am looking for some advice on getting a graphics card for my PC. My PC is only used for photo & video editing using Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Topaz plug ins. With the recent updates and addition on AI features the demand on my system has increase causing it to run slow.

I will need to add a graphics card in order to make the running of he program smoother.

My MOBO is a micro ATX and I only have on PCI-E X16 slot which is going to limit what cards I install. My pc also only has the standard PSU.

I am not looking at spending mega bucks but just need to get the program up to speed.

My current set up is:

Ryzen 7 5700G Octocore
12 GB Ram
250GB SDD
2TB SATA HDD

Any idea would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Associate
Morning,

A budget and what Brand and watt PSU (eg 500, 600 etc) you have would be helpful.

I see from your spec you don't have a dedicated GPU just the onboard one, so it will be an upgrade, but that upgrade is best balanced from knowing budget.

Soldato
I will have a look at the PSU it is just the standard one in the HP desktop.

Budget is just what will do the job for photoshop

£100-£200

No such thing as a standard one in a HP desktop, some don't even come with standard connectors or without pci-e connectors. For people to be able to help you correctly you need to give them all the information. A good start would be the HP desktops model number you own then they can look up its specifications. Also the wattage of the psu and connectors available is very important and how do you even know this HP desktop even has PCIE power connectors ? So how can we ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I haven't seen any benchmarks for the new AI features unfortunately, but for your budget you're looking at:
RX 6600
RTX 3050 6GB
RTX 3050 8GB
Arc A750

If you can stretch your budget a bit higher then:
3060 12GB
A770 8GB
RX 7600 8GB

If you can afford the extra, I'd probably buy the 3060 12GB, but the A750 seems pretty competitive if you can't.

If you don't have a power connector and the PSU is a custom one, then the 3050 6GB is the only one out of those options that would work.

Man of Honour
It’s a

HP Pavilion TP01
Is it this one?

The motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot and could theoretically be upgraded with a dedicated graphics card, provided the card doesn't require a GPU power connector, which the power supply lacks. However, given that the power supply is rated at just 180 watts, adding a discrete GPU might not be a wise idea. Also on the board is a PCI Express x1 slot for add-in cards.

Soldato
Is it this one?

Needs a new pc to add a graphics card for the apps required. The psu will go bang even with a gpu that uses 75w from the pcie slot and the slot is only PCI Express x1 slot for add-in cards. Don't Nvidia modern gpus require a min of x8 wired slot to even work as even older Nvidia cards back in the day required x4 minimum and no idea about current AMD cards?

As I said no such thing as a standard psu or anything in a HP built desktop.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that was an "and", so it has a 16 lane slot and a 1 lane slot.

Ahaa , that makes more sense then, but have seen physical x16 slots wired for x1 x4 x8 electrical too. If that is the case then if the motherboard uses a normal type psu with the standard connectors then maybe updating the psu to a better psu and then adding a gpu. 180w even with a slot powered GPU maybe still pushing it with that desktop. As the cpu uses 65w, gpu 75w, that is 140w there not including motherboard, storage etc that is in that pc.

Associate
OP
Sorry. I’m not clued up on all this so I apologise if my info is limited. It’s just for photoshop cc 2024 and editing.

Could any suggest a suitable card?

Man of Honour
if the motherboard uses a normal type psu with the standard connectors then maybe updating the psu to a better psu and then adding a gpu
From a quick google, the motherboard doesn't use a 20/24 pin (has 2x 4 pin), so I'd assume a standard PSU is not compatible.

180w even with a slot powered GPU maybe still pushing it with that desktop
Yeah, hard to know what to suggest really, for gaming I think a slot powered GPU like a GTX 1650 or RTX 3050 6GB would probably be fine, but these newer Adobe features can be pretty demanding (even with 2D work) and I don't know what would happen if the CPU and the card were 100% simultaneously.

Man of Honour
This card will not be for gaming only running photoshop
Yeah, it is hard to recommend anything, given the limitations you're working with here.

You could open it up and check that there's definitely no power connector and what the rated power is on the PSU label (if visible).

Soldato
180w is very little to work with.

if you bought something like rtx 3050 that is 125w + your cpu is 65w that's already running out of spec, which is not a good thing.

unless you can upgrade the power supply unit somehow I would not risk it. If you find out the type of psu you have you might he able to buy a replacement of the bay but rated higher but need to check that is has the correct connectors for the motherboard and the new graphics card you want to buy.

alternatively you can buy a new cheap case and power supply and drop your motherboard in there with new gpu. Its the cheapest way to get extra performance without your pc frying or catching fire. You could buy a second hand case to save money. Just make sure the case can take the motherboard and maybe a cheap 500w psu.

Man of Honour
The power unit is the standard HP Model No: 180W
This is the slot I have. Here
Don't think that is a goer, tbh. In theory a 3050 6GB might work, but you're borderline (especially for any intensive stuff that uses CPU/GPU), so wouldn't want to pay nearly £200 and find it doesn't help.

There are older cards like the 1050, but I don't honestly know if that would be any faster for your usage, so couldn't recommend that either.

Soldato
The power unit is the standard HP Model No: 180W

This is the slot I have. Here

These things are realistically going to limit what GPU you can fit and power in your system. A RTX 3050 6GB would be on budget but you'd need to double check it'll work when powered from the slot. 180w is pushing it.

180W prevents you from putting in older cards like the 1060 6GB or 1660 Super 6GB etc, since these older generations weren't as power efficient as the 30x and 40x series and integrated graphics. Not really worth looking at AMD cards at this power consumption point because they have always been less power efficient than Nvidia.

You might find that even if you upped your PSU and fitted something like the above, you won't get a huge uplift in performance. The dedicated vram would take some pressure off of you system ram. But the 5700G isn't terrible if you aren't gaming. You might get more bang for the your buck by upgrading your system ram to 16GB of whatever the fastest ram your motherboard can support.

Back
Top Bottom