New Headphone DAC/AMP

Soldato
For around £400, is there anything out there worth considering over the MoJo 2?

I am going to be using it at my desk and was considering the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M, but I don't need any of the other stuff it has built in, my speakers are active so they sort themselves out. Not sure the new Zen DAC 3 will offer the quality I want either?

I just want the best sonic performance for my 660s (maybe soon to be 660s2)

ta :)

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure about your expectations but the Zen Dac is a very good piece of kit. I'm running a V2 (and a Zen Can) into 660s and there are no complaints here. The Zen Dac only offers a USB input so provided that meets your needs, I would give it a go.

I haven't tried a Mojo so it may by a bigger step up.

Soldato
For around £400, is there anything out there worth considering over the MoJo 2?

I am going to be using it at my desk and was considering the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M, but I don't need any of the other stuff it has built in, my speakers are active so they sort themselves out. Not sure the new Zen DAC 3 will offer the quality I want either?

I just want the best sonic performance for my 660s (maybe soon to be 660s2)

ta :)

What active speakers do you have and are you using balanced connections to them ? Also you state you don't need all the features of the DacMagic 200M, so what features do you not need and what features do you really need ? What devices will you be connecting as source to the dac/amp too ?

Just trying to work out a good dac/amp for you and one that has a pre-amp output too so easy to control volume of active monitors too. I also don't rate the DacMagic for the price currently as there are better products for the price out there now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What active speakers do you have and are you using balanced connections to them ? Also you state you don't need all the features of the DacMagic 200M, so what features do you not need and what features do you really need ? What devices will you be connecting as source to the dac/amp too ?

Just trying to work out a good dac/amp for you and one that has a pre-amp output too so easy to control volume of active monitors too. I also don't rate the DacMagic for the price currently as there are better products for the price out there now.
Ruark MR1 MK2. Just use optical out of the PC or Bluetooth from my phone when on the work laptop, they are fine as they are.

No features, just good audio for my headphones, USB connection.

Ruark MR1 MK2. Just use optical out of the PC or Bluetooth from my phone when on the work laptop, they are fine as they are.

That being the case,

From Schiit UK, in stock, built in DAC, bags of power.

Or if you want something a bit higher end and don't mind going s/h,

Last edited:
Associate
I've got an E50/L50 combo for my HiFiMan Sundara's which I'm really happy with.

That stack should come in under £400 now.

I prefer anything at the PC be balanced or at least balanced into the headphone amp due to PCs being notorious for interference. Especially if you have a powerful graphics sucking down 300~400w+ of power when in action.

Last edited:
Associate
SMSL SU-1 DAC and Topping L30 II Amp.

Soldato

That being the case,

From Schiit UK, in stock, built in DAC, bags of power.

^.. that or even maybe consider Fiio K7 or the K7BT if you want bluetooth support.

Standard version £190 and BT version £230

I got my Fiio K9 Pro ESS from them they had best price at time and delivery comes quick too via amazon delivery.

ALSO found the standard K7 cheaper on Amazon.

£158.32 for standard K7 at moment on amazon cheapest anywhere and a bargain if you don't need the BT feature.

Good review here showing the software and hardware well :-

Last edited:
Soldato
I can only comment on what I own (so don't know how it compares) but I have a CA DAC-Magic Plus with upgraded PSU and HD650 Headphones and it has been a solid, great sounding set-up.
I have a few devices connected to it so use it as a switcher too.

The 200m is very similar but obviously is a level up over the Plus , i'd love to give it a go but cannot justify the price.

Last edited:
Associate
Or if you want something a bit higher end and don't mind going s/h,

This would be my choice - have had an Element II for a few years now and find it fantastic with my HD650.

Man of Honour
Problem with thazt is that it's a desktop showpieve and needs to be in your face to see the display etc, not one that slips amongst other stuff at the back neatly. It's basically like a DJ's deck. Otherwise awesome specs and the clear dial option looks really cool.

Problem with thazt is that it's a desktop showpieve and needs to be in your face to see the display etc, not one that slips amongst other stuff at the back neatly. It's basically like a DJ's deck. Otherwise awesome specs and the clear dial option looks really cool.

To be fair people have been using the older Element amps without a display for years, it's not something you really need to look at often, once it's setup and you've selected you filter your done really.

Associate
It doesn't "need" to be anywhere, mine doesn't have the display, and I don't get the impression that the one on the III needs to be looked at constantly!

I would say its appearance is a positive, if you want it on display it looks great and understated. As well as the audio upgrade, the all in one nature was a massive improvement over my previous SMSL DAC and Graham Slee amp.

Back
Top Bottom