New pc between £700 to £1.000 for VR SIM racing

Associate
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to get a computer, I have a laptop I bought 5+ years ago and it's still working completely fine but it struggles sometimes when I want to play some VR games.

I'm not a very demanding user, I don't really play many games but I'm planing to play SIM racing with a rig and VR. (Asetto corsa)

I've been looking at some ready built and I did find this AMD Ryzen 5 5500, NVIDIA RTX 4060 8G and also a Curved 27" 1440p 170hz for £1.000

I don't want to get close to the £1.000 mark but I'll if I have to.

I'm not to bother of building it to save some money but I rather to buy something ready to go.

Any advice on what to get?

Thank you for the help.

Associate
OP
Amazing! Thank you so much for your reply. I'm not to bothered about the monitor or building it myself to be honest. I will have a proper look at the list you sent me.

I really appreciate your help!

Associate
OP
Thank you! Still missing few bits so it will go £1k+ easily, may look at alternatives but keeping your recommendations in mind

Associate
OP
I will be using it mainly with VR and normal use with the screen, so probably I'll use a cheap screen I have already.

I just don't want to go over £1k as my budget was £700 initially lol

Associate
OP
The £300 extra makes a big difference for a whole PC build including monitor, especially if you're playing at 1440p.

1440p builds are normally more like £1K5 if there is a monitor required, since you're paying around £400-£600 for the graphics alone, then a monitor is usually £200-£300 and that doesn't leave a whole lot for the rest.
What would you recommend for a Non monitor set-up then?

As I'm happy to don't buy a monitor or maybe get a second hand one in the future

Associate
OP
Yeah apparently it is not great for it for what I've seen so I may be better not getting it just in case it is not gonna be working great and regretting it‍♂️

Associate
OP
I'm not a really a gamer whatsoever so I won't be needing a huge thing, just planning to play some Asseto corsa every now and then.

I think I'm gonna have to spend like £3k in the end hahaha

I'm just trying to get under £1k.

I'm still "playing" with my laptop and it has a gtx 1060 4gb...

I have to say you guys are amazing, I really appreciate all this help!

Associate
OP
If you're willing to buy without monitor, I think we'd have to stick with the 5600/12400 option for the CPU.

The CPU includes a cooler in the box.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,022.83 (includes delivery: £11.98)​
The RX 7700 in my earlier post might perform differently in VR (to the 6800) because I think the encoding/decoding hardware has been upgraded, but I don't know much about it either I'm afraid.
Amazing, I will have a look and try to have a think. Also I wasn't sure if the cooler was good enough or not.

So many options nowadays, I think last time I put a build together myself it was when the dual core came out

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Associate
OP
If it helps, then just to clarify a few things.

If you say to us "I want to play @ 1440p", especially if it involves VR, we're immediately going to think "DOUBLE THAT BUDGET!" because the truth is that 1440p gaming (especially VR gaming) is very demanding with modern games and we will very rarely make you a spec for just one or two games, because:
1. The PC won't last long when you decide to switch to the latest AAA racing game, or whatever.
and
2. The lack of utility in the build is something hard to justify when you're still spending a lot of money, relatively speaking to many other hobbies.

Sooo... that said, can you play at 1440p with a lower-end card like a 3060 12GB, 4060, or RX 6600? You absolutely can, many games (especially older ones) will run just fine and if you use FSR or DLSS you'll get by in many more.

How to know?
There's two ways: check benchmarks for those specific games or check YouTube videos with the kind of hardware you're thinking of, e.g. search for "F1 2020 RTX 3060 1440p".

Here's an example build closer to the budget:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £781.84 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

In this review, F1 2020 gets 126+ FPS at 1440p (max settings, no upscaling):

In this review, F1 2022 gets 42 FPS average at 1440p (ultra settings, no upscaling). FYI: 4060 gets 52 FPS average, though there may be texture quality issues with only 8GB that aren't shown in the benchmark.

You'd need to look for AC specifically, since it is not present in those benchmarks, I just did a quick search:

I hope that helps with having some more context for your decision.
Amazing thank you! I'll have a look at it later.

Hopefully I can make my mind up and it works well with quest 3 too as on that setup I could get a monitor too.

Associate
OP
I'd recommend you have a good read up on reddit before you buy.

From a quick look, there are a lot of users who say that a card like the 3060 or 4060 is very much borderline for playability, though there are also a fair number of users who say that they have one and it is fine for them, so I suppose it depends on your expectations and the requirements (..and especially the age, I assume) of the games.

So long as you're going into this with your eyes wide open about the compromises you might have to make and that it'll probably only be good enough for today's games, I suspect you'll get away with it.
I guess next would be to get something like 4070 super? Is there anything in between that is worth having while keeping it cheap?

I get that to be able to play properly I'd need to spend a bit more than I was expecting but I don't think I could afford it or my other half would allow me hahahah

Associate
OP
Would you still choose 3060 over 4060?
Not really, the 3060 12GB is a decent card, especially around £250.

The 4060 Ti is barely any faster than the 3060 Ti (sometimes it is slower!) and the 8GB of memory is poor for 2024.

The 16GB version is more usable, but it costs way too much for the performance on offer and since they didn't increase the bus width with the memory, it is far less effective at higher resolutions than the 16GB of memory suggests it should be.

Worse than the 3060 12GB, so if that's barely enough for the Quest 3, then the 1660 Super definitely won't be enough.

Associate
OP
I'm happy to drop the monitor and get it in the future if I can get a whole pc for £1.000.

I just can make my mind up with so many options

Could be contemplating the 4070 super if I could get EVERYTHING squished to £1k.

I know it's really hard to buy good and cheap, but worth trying and in the future I could always keep upgrading expending less at once if that makes sense?

Associate
OP
I upgraded my old AM4 setup a little while back with a 5800X3D I got a good deal on myself, night and day difference over my prior 3700X in a lot of what I play.

Also on a 4070, which again I got a decent deal on. I don't personally mind buying second hand, but some people are iffy with it which I suppose is understandable.
I'm more than happy buying second hand, I just don't know where to look really apart of FB and here now

Associate
OP
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,000.92 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

A £1000 rig + 4070S is doable new, but the quality of the build is going to suffer in certain respects.

The rig wont run particularly hot so the case will be alright, but it's not the best case in the world, there's some other stuff that could be better. Other people might be able to better recommend where to get good second hand deals, I tend to stick to member markets on forums like this one but you need 1000 + posts in the case of OCUK to access it.
That's pretty good on the "budget"! Thank you!

As long as I can have enough room to upgrade it in the future I'm quite happy to be fair.

Back
Top Bottom