New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
Boring episode and yet again Burnham is the only one who can save *insert here*. On this occasion bringing the Ni'Var and the Federation together. No whispering speeches/condescending this week which was a big +. I don't always want space battles, some of the best episodes of TNG were Picard being authoritative and bringing diplomatic solutions etc, but this episode was just pants.

Glad Tilly has gone for awhile - i lol'd when she said she will 'run' and distract the ice monster - 3 seconds later and she's on her ass! Honestly i'm not being fattest, it's just she looks so out of place compared to the rest of the whole galaxy!

Looks like Saru is going to be getting his leg over soon too :)

Soldato
The Adira/Gray story also seems like a woke tick box exercise. I don't mind Adira, but Gray is a totally non-character which grinds every episode to a halt when he/she/it is on screen.

Associate
This might be a low point, but it's still one of my favourite franchises of all time. It's not like the other trek's didn't need some time to grow into themselves, it's just annoying that Discovery doesn't seem to have any interest in doing so.

Soldato
The Adira/Gray story also seems like a woke tick box exercise. I don't mind Adira, but Gray is a totally non-character which grinds every episode to a halt when he/she/it is on screen.

Fans or Activist would say that exactly the point of Star Trek, that it has always been a ground breakers, like having an African lady in the 50s as a main character or how TNG portrays a Utopian lifestyle etc etc, but this isn't done with any tact like previous series, it's literally ramming it down your throat, so much so it actually overpower the storyline.

The characters are just so one dimensional, you don't grow to like them, your forced to know that they are only 'the gay one', the trans one', 'the strong woman', 'the don't body shame', etc etc.

Soldato
The characters are just so one dimensional, you don't grow to like them, your forced to know that they are only 'the gay one', the trans one', 'the strong woman', 'the don't body shame', etc etc.
Not all of then, Saru, Lorca, Pike, Philippa Georgiou are the exceptions.

Soldato
I don't get what people see in Michelle Yeoh. The woman is more wooden than an infant school Christmas play.
While I can understand not liking her I don't get how you can call her wooden. She is subtle yes but its those little delicate and precise emotions and movement that make her such a good actor. Like when she talks to Pike about being retired she does a slight tilt of the head, opens her eyes a little bit and rises her eyebrows to answer the question which completely change the meaning of the scene. She does that in a subtle way not in a clear over the top way like say Spock rising his eyebrows.

She does this a lot which it appears some people miss, like when she has that small sly smile to say she knows something the other person doesnt. People miss it and think she is wooden but once you clock onto the small delicate and precise emotions she displays her character completely changes. It makes a nice change from all the over the top emotive characters like Burnham.

Caporegime
she was too OP like a pantomine superhero though, probably straight off a marvel set that character.

more likeable that most the other cast though

This might be a low point, but it's still one of my favourite franchises of all time. It's not like the other trek's didn't need some time to grow into themselves, it's just annoying that Discovery doesn't seem to have any interest in doing so.
kinda makes me glad there's been no stargate for awhile :D

oh wait there was one I think most stargate fans totally skipped and it went by unoticed. I think some prequel crap

Still annoyed SGU got cancelled, it started to get good finally then boom cancelled :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
oh wait there was one I think most stargate fans totally skipped and it went by unoticed. I think some prequel crap
That has to be the worst Sci Fi I have ever watched it makes Discovery's worst episode look like an Elite work of art. Crap doesnt cover just how bad it is. Not just the script and acting but even the camera work was beyond terrible.

Soldato
Not all of then, Saru, Lorca, Pike, Philippa Georgiou are the exceptions.
Isn't it funny that those are probably the most likeable characters.

Still annoyed SGU got cancelled, it started to get good finally then boom cancelled :mad:

This was good from the start I don't think it got cancelled because of quality, if I remember rightly it was put in a bad time slot and was up against very popular shows at the time. The studio messed that up from the start. I'm honestly gutted Netflix hasn't picked it up, like Amazon did to the Expanse.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Isn't it funny that those are probably the most likeable characters.

This was good from the start I don't think it got cancelled because of quality, if I remember rightly it was put in a bad time slot and was up against very popular shows at the time. The studio messed that up from the start. I'm honestly gutted Netflix hasn't picked it up, like Amazon did to the Expanse.

Same. It was getting good.

Stargate is a great franchise. Particularly atlantis

Just watched lost in space. Its so much better than discovery.

Soldato
I'm about ready to give up on this

Just getting silly with all the crying and mental health issues. It's like whatever is going on in the media, they have to bring it into the story somehow.

I almost never post in this sub but watching s4 I can't stand this season, I had to check to see if others felt the same way and your post covers my own thoughts.

Have to respect the self harm some of you are still putting yourselves through by watching this :p

Man I was hoping it would get better, what the hell happened to this show.

There's a 4th series reportedly coming. Now that Amazon have purchased Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer we should get some official news hopefully next year.

Man of Honour
Today's episode follows on from the interesting developments from last week. I think I kinda like where this is heading. Zora developing sentience since the sphere data opens up a new avenue of potential outcomes for the Federation and I kinda like Zora's new prime directive.

Interesting and entertaining. This is good!

Back
Top Bottom