New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
IIRC (and I'm going to do a horrible job paraphrasing this since I can't find where I originally read it) TOS used space to look at the human issues of it's own time, TNG looked at how our 'ideal' morality/ethics (at least the writers ones) held up or when tested or compared to other alien ones, and obviously DS9 started exploring the grey or ambiguous areas of ethics and morality through the character interaction and politics/war etc. From Voyager onwards it became more and more about pew pew, exposition and Trek lost sight of what made it good in the first place, and most of the films are guilty of this too. They also turned the Borg into jobbers, the ultimate sin.

Trek in principle works best as a series and if they're going to make another one, for it to be any good at least from the perspective of asking the viewer questions or making it stimulating - to me anyway - they need to go back to what made it good in the first place. The last couple of films don't fill me with any confidence...

EDIT - just saw the post above mine, that's mildly encouraging.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
I don't really think that's true, some of the best episodes of DS9 had lots of pew pew, exposition, when the federation fleet charges the dominion line to retake DS9 for me its still one of the greatest moment in TV and the hairs on my neck still stand up when ever I see it to this day.

Voyager and Enterprise (season 1 and 2) problems was it was just rehashing what had come before. Enterprise became enjoyable when it started to try something a bit different.

The truth is probably some where in-between, you want a good balance of both, I think you need one to compliment the other.

Meyer return can only be a good thing :D

Associate
If you like the Borg as they were in TNG (except maybe that ridiculous splinter faction that had Lore had) just don't watch any Voyager, they make the Borg weaker and dumber with each appearance

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Anyone who wants a continuation of the old shows without the limitations of what is allowed on TV needs to start at the top of this and get reading (you can skip the Enterprise books if you're not into that crew, but I will say you are missing out!).

http://www.shastrix.com/books/star-trek-reading-order.php

When you hit the Destiny Trilogy everything gets epic.

By the time you get to the Typhon Pact the whole Trek Universe gets shaken up.

:D

Associate
Anyone who wants a continuation of the old shows without the limitations of what is allowed on TV needs to start at the top of this and get reading (you can skip the Enterprise books if you're not into that crew, but I will say you are missing out!).

http://www.shastrix.com/books/star-trek-reading-order.php

When you hit the Destiny Trilogy everything gets epic.

By the time you get to the Typhon Pact the whole Trek Universe gets shaken up.

:D

Isn't the DS9 Relaunch series in the same continuity are those. Seems to be missing quite a lot.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Those are all the 'Post Nemesis' books. Some of the DS9 relaunch are set prior to Destiny. Same with a few of the TNG books.

Post Nemesis books have more freedom with storylines as they don't overlap any TV or Movies.

Associate
The downfall of Star Trek (in TV form) was that it was a case of 'too little, too late' when they finally cottoned on to the fact that people wanted epic story arcs instead of self-contained episodes with little continuity. Enterprise was pretty good fun, too - apart from the nausea-inducing title song.

Hopefully they do something fresh and original with the new show.

Back
Top Bottom