*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
Hoping for:

Full backwards compatibility including all digital purchases and some kind of upscaling effect on old games.

Dual screens with one being able to be used a media screen while playing games along with much better support for TV viewing apps, not just Youtube and a couple of anime apps as per the Switch. The 2nd screen could either be a fold out as per DS or a slide up screen, or even fully detachable. Both screens identical and touchscreens so users can configure how they want and interchange them. Could be amazing for 2 player games each having their own screen.

Possibly even a way to use existing Switch screens and controllers with the Switch 2 as well.

The dual screens could allow for many streaming possibilities and I expect it be be streamer friendly out of the box. I doubt Nintendo will bother with VR, though could be wrong. They may end up implementing VR in the most user friendly way to date if they do go for it.

Joycons need a proper D-pad as standard and improved sticks. Console specs will be underpowered but still adequate, likely options for true 1080p or upscaled 4k on most games. I think Nintendo will aim for 60 fps in most of their games and tone down graphics if needs be.

There's a chance we'll see Xbox game pass on the Switch 2 as well, likely limited to MS exclusives to not harm Nintendo's own 3rd party sales.

It's highly unlikely but I'm not totally ruling out the possibility of a Steam app on it as well, a lot depends on how much market share Steam deck 2 gets which will likely at least double the power of the Switch 2. Steam and Nintendo could share profits on Steam games purchased on the Switch store, could potentially be highly profitable for both in new markets. It's very doubtful they'd agree to do business on that level though.

Interested to see how many of these, if any, actually happen.

Associate
My prediction:
1.Backwards compatible with existing switch games
2.Support existing Switch accessories(joycons, ethernet adapter, charger, controller)
3.Some type of method to boost performance to existing switch games without devs/publishers pushing their own patch to support the new hardware if they choose not to do it
4.Maybe another push for bigger battery
5.Similar resolution output to the steam deck
6.Slight upgrade to battery
7.Similar performance or better than the steam deck
8.Cost similar or less than the steam deck

Last edited:

XPE

XPE

Soldato
My prediction:
1.Backwards compatible with existing switch games
2.Support existing Switch accessories(joycons, ethernet adapter, charger, controller)
3.Some type of method to boost performance to existing switch games without devs/publishers pushing their own patch to support the new hardware if they choose not to do it
4.Maybe another push for bigger battery
5.Similar resolution output to the steam deck
6.Slight upgrade to battery
7.Similar performance or better than the steam deck
8.Cost similar or less than the steam deck

I think BC only with no performance boast for old games, Nintendo have never been too bad with backwards compatibility but I don't remember the BC ever making things better.

Not too sure about the support for existing Switch accessories, controllers have gotten expensive and selling pro controllers must be a nice money maker for them these days.

As for performance god knows, as this is Nintendo we could get anything :eek:

Associate
My hopes are :

1. Proper backwards compatibility with performance boost for 1st party/native games.
2. OLED display
3. Switch Pro controller support.

Reality :
1. LCD
2. Sounds like we're getting new joycons ( attach via magnetism rather than rails ) with extra controls/paddles, which means old Switch joycons/Pro controllers, whilst possibly still supported, will offer a lesser experience by virtue of having fewer inputs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I doubt we'll see a significant resolution bump on a portable screen, 720p is ample for a 7 or 8 inch screen, all you'd achieve from more resolution is needing more power to drive it and all the drawbacks that brings to the portable form factor.

I'm most interested by what they'll bring that's new/different. I'll be surprised if it's simply the same fundamental concept but with more power and a bit of spit and polish - that hasn't really been Nintendo's game since the GC.

Associate
I'll be happy if the new system can offer consistent 40-60fps at least for 1st party titles, that would be the number 1 thing I would like to see.
I think BC only with no performance boast for old games, Nintendo have never been too bad with backwards compatibility but I don't remember the BC ever making things better.

Not too sure about the support for existing Switch accessories, controllers have gotten expensive and selling pro controllers must be a nice money maker for them these days.

As for performance god knows, as this is Nintendo we could get anything :eek:
Yeah backwards compatibility with performance boost is wishful thinking, since Sony just went screw it we will give you the same game but charge more with the performance gains.
I still reckon we will see support for previous accessories, I can't see them ditching Bluetooth, since the joy cons and pro controller all use Bluetooth.
Probably sell a new and improved pro controller and new joy cons with better buttons etc.

Associate
All the rumours point toward an early March 2025 release - the official announcement will probably be Q4 this year. Better late than never, I guess. I'm interested to hear what games they'll announce in June to fill the void until then.

Associate
Wonder if we'll get a cross release a bit like BOTW? Something like the Metroid Prime 4 that's been coming for ages and is now a little late in the life cycle. Certainly has the gravitas amongst Nintendo fans though I'll admit perhaps not to the same extent as a Zelda game might.

Man of Honour
Wonder if we'll get a cross release a bit like BOTW? Something like the Metroid Prime 4 that's been coming for ages and is now a little late in the life cycle. Certainly has the gravitas amongst Nintendo fans though I'll admit perhaps not to the same extent as a Zelda game might.

I half wonder if there's a big first party game coming for Christmas that hasn't been announced yet that would be cross-platform; Mario Odyssey 2 maybe? Mario Kart 9?

Anyway as long as its backward compatible I'll be on the pre-order list; I don't see how Nintendo can get this wrong

Man of Honour
It's highly unlikely but I'm not totally ruling out the possibility of a Steam app on it as well, a lot depends on how much market share Steam deck 2 gets which will likely at least double the power of the Switch 2. Steam and Nintendo could share profits on Steam games purchased on the Switch store, could potentially be highly profitable for both in new markets. It's very doubtful they'd agree to do business on that level though.

I think there's zero chance of that at all; most people buying a Switch aren't giving a hoot about the Steam Deck or its successor; the Switch has shipped over 140 million units; Valve don't release figures but analysts have suggested that sales of the Deck are no more than 4 Million Units since launch.

They're basically in two different markets; the Switch / Switch 2 is effectively in the console market; the Steam Deck in the PC market - I don't think Nintendo see the Deck, ROG Ally or Legion as a threat at all (except emulation wise which is why they're going so heavily against Yuzu, etc)

Soldato
I half wonder if there's a big first party game coming for Christmas that hasn't been announced yet that would be cross-platform; Mario Odyssey 2 maybe? Mario Kart 9?
It will surely launch with some sort of Mario title, be it a proper main line Mario game or a big hitter like a new Mario Kart. Metroid isn't a console seller, it takes years to sell what Mario or Zelda sell in weeks.

Associate
It will surely launch with some sort of Mario title, be it a proper main line Mario game or a big hitter like a new Mario Kart. Metroid isn't a console seller, it takes years to sell what Mario or Zelda sell in weeks.
I do agree with you that it's not the best console seller, I'm just thinking what has already been confirmed as in development between now and the end of Switch 1. Can't remember the other known projects off the top of my head which is why I picked it.

What I will say is that BOTW drew in more than just existing fans of the Zelda series, partly due to the existing fans (justified) hype enticing them to check it out. I think a similar thing could happen with MP4 albeit at say 10% of the sway Zelda carries. Afaik the fandom with the Prime series is pretty strong. Metroid Dread seemed to do ok too and will no doubt have been a first dip into the series for the many new-to-Nintendo Switch owners.

If MP4 turns out to be the BOTW of the series then good reviews and hype will probably rumble through to new players and help boost sales in the first year. Would require good marketing to back it up obviously (and of course, actually being a great game to boot)

XPE

XPE

Soldato
I just don't think Metroid Prime is a system mover, it feels like a franchise that sales would benefit from the systems momentum.

Remember we never got a new Mario Kart this gen, the team must have been working on something all this time, that would be a good system seller and a require people to buy the online pass for it.

Associate
I just don't think Metroid Prime is a system mover, it feels like a franchise that sales would benefit from the systems momentum.

Remember we never got a new Mario Kart this gen, the team must have been working on something all this time, that would be a good system seller and a require people to buy the online pass for it.
I agree - outwith the US/UK, the Metroid franchise isn't that popular, certainly not in Japan. However, Mario Kart 9, or another 3D Mario platformer would be a huge draw. I'm sure we'll get a 1440p/4K remaster of an old Zelda title too eg. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker or even Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Next console will have the successor to Odyssey and probably MK9. I imagine they have had both done for a while now. Certainly MK9 since its been basically 10 years since it was developed. Its been 7 years since Nintendo released a proper full 3D mainline mario game as well so again, thats probably been done for a while.

Nintendo have been printing money with the Switch with little effort which I think is why we haven't seen some of the big hitting sequels dropping yet. MP4 is just a mystery at the moment. It should have been out in the past few years but development was restarted and its perhaps turning into development hell. Who knows.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
The first year of the Switch was stacked, they had Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario 3D, Xenoblade and Splatoon. That was a very strong line up and I suspect they will try to repeat that success for the switch 2, maybe Mario Kart for the launch and keep the 3D Mario game for the Christmas period and a bunch of strong games in between (Zelda 2D oracles remake/follow up to Kirby forgotten lands maybe?)

Back
Top Bottom