No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Caporegime
A user on the No Mans Sky sub reddit who created a thread giving information about requesting refunds for the game has been banned.

I didn't think reddit had any affiliation with the game developers so why ban him?
It does make me laugh how the mods of community places just ban people when their submitted content is "controversial". It's like the pCars beta forums, if you gave criticism they simply banned your account.

https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4zuydl/psa_steam_is_offering_no_mans_sky_refunds/

reddit frequently has issues with censorship. Most subs at some point go through some drama with 2-3 crazy mods who shadow ban anyone who says anything they don't like.

That whole, forget her name thankfully, the indie game making girl who was sleeping with basically the only journalist to review the game, giving her crap game a positive review and all here SJW shenanigans, almost anyone who said anything remotely negative got banned, threads were deleted left right and centre. There was a real SJW mod issue where they were censoring everything. Happened in many threads for many reasons.

Soldato
reddit frequently has issues with censorship. Most subs at some point go through some drama with 2-3 crazy mods who shadow ban anyone who says anything they don't like.

That whole, forget her name thankfully, the indie game making girl who was sleeping with basically the only journalist to review the game, giving her crap game a positive review and all here SJW shenanigans, almost anyone who said anything remotely negative got banned, threads were deleted left right and centre. There was a real SJW mod issue where they were censoring everything. Happened in many threads for many reasons.

"Oh I've forgotten her name", lol. Just lol.

Soldato
Surely you know if something is bad after a couple of hours let alone 10+ hours? I find it ridiculous somebody had the patience to play something for 50 hours which was apparently broken or not good enough then asked for a refund.

Soldato

Probably the NMS defense squad in action. Happier to pretend they didn't get conned by Sean Murray et al than live in the real world.

'Thank you Sir, may I have another?' consumers.

Soldato
Oh we appreciate them bud.

Keep posting, at the very least, most of us would rather see cool screen shots over reading another "original" post about disgusting business practices going unpunished, how much the game is really worth, the gaming community in decline, games in decline, preorder foolishness, buckling market trends, lies, major content hidden behind warp tech, lack of multiplayer, missing content appearing later in game, paid DLC, blatant extreme assumptions, non conventional game development, inflated expectations, hype, wa waa waaaa.

Hey! Has anyone got a video comparing what we were promised and what we got against a Jurassic Park theme tune?

Most of us would probably enjoy gameplay videos, stories about in game shenanigans, tips, tricks etc. You know, like all other pc games threads.

Instead we have a lot of valid moaning and a few people trying to fool themselves throwing money out the window was a good idea due to some pretty scenaries. Screenshot simulator. .:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Instead we have a lot of valid moaning and a few people trying to fool themselves throwing money out the window was a good idea due to some pretty scenaries.

You know, you've all made your point regarding your complaints about the game.

The continued ad hom attacks on people that are happy just playing the game are getting more than a little tiresome.

Associate
Most of us would probably enjoy gameplay videos, stories about in game shenanigans, tips, tricks etc. You know, like all other pc games threads.

Instead we have a lot of valid moaning and a few people trying to fool themselves throwing money out the window was a good idea due to some pretty scenaries. Screenshot simulator. .:D

You seem to imply that the game is completely devoid of merit, and that any enjoyment derived from it is simply a manifestation of buyer's remorse?

I don't condone the abundance of misinformation from the developers, however I do find it amusing that people are quick to criticize something that may be a trifle ambitious, but are among the first to pre-order this year's rehash of a generic shooter, which will be little more than a glorified reskin!

Soldato
Not entirely certain why I post these. People seldom notice! :p

B9EBF47C53C6FB864FC75F8920451E5744A3E407
2D97E063A866BBBAE49B4E3A4A9749852923D30B

A152557F412175BD1AF6CDB609C277D77EB4FB20

Post away mate. I wasn't happy with game & have stated why, but I will say that some of the screenies I've seen look amazing.:)

Associate
You seem to imply that the game is completely devoid of merit, and that any enjoyment derived from it is simply a manifestation of buyer's remorse?

I don't condone the abundance of misinformation from the developers, however I do find it amusing that people are quick to criticize something that may be a trifle ambitious, but are among the first to pre-order this year's rehash of a generic shooter, which will be little more than a glorified reskin!

Yeah but people know what they are getting with COD, which is the go to bash game.....they don't bare face lie about features to drum up pre-orders, regardless if its the same generic stuff each year.

If a car company told you that their new car coming out, did 0-60 in 5 seconds, came with aircon, alloy wheels, top sound system, carbon fibre body etc and you then when and pre-ordered it based on all the information and when you went to pick it up, it was missing all of those features, you wouldn't accept it...you would return it under false advertisement and would be entitled to do so.

Software companies know that once the end user has downloaded the software, their rights effectively go out the window and its only because companies like Steam offer a refund before 2 hours played that the notion of a refund even exists when it comes to PC games.....2 hours being no where near enough to actually see that a HUGE amount of what Sean Murray said would be in this game does not exist.....he is the definition of a Snake Oil salesman, selling something with features he KNOWS did not exist in the game and taking multiple millions of profit in the process.

I myself have never requested a refund on any game ever.....even if I don't like it, I generally take it the same as going to see a film and not liking it....but I feel NMS is different.....this isn't something I don't like...this is something I've been miss-sold through false advertisement and false promises regardless of how ambitious their procedural algorithm is.....so I did request a refund after about 5 or so hours played, which got declined...so lesson learned....never buy from Hello games again.

Soldato
Tell you what is annoying me more now is the complete lack of digital goods consumer rights.

I requested a refund purely out of annoyance at the fact it isn't as advertised. Standard answer back is 'nope, you've played more than 2 hours'.

So do I now have to refund every game I buy before the two hour point if it doesn't deliver exactly what is shown on the steam store page?

If you spent £40 on some physical electronic goods and realised after a few hours it doesnt do half the stuff thats shown on the box, and the product just isn't the same you can pretty much be guaranteed a refund.

This market is in serious need of regulation in some form.

Soldato
this year's rehash of a generic shooter, which will be little more than a glorified reskin!

I thought the implication is more that with a re-hash of a franchise shooter you generally know what you're getting; more of the same... if anything devoted fans of those series are probably more disappointed when there are big changes to the formula...

But for sure if somebody from EA/Activision came out and said "this latest COD-field 12 will have pin-point accurate bullet simulation; the exact place the bullet hits will be modelled exactly, taking account of armor material, velocity, and with hyper-realistic damage feedback that has a direct effect on the game..." and they talked about it and hyped it up numerous times building up to the release...

Then when the game came out it turned out that there were just 5 regions - head, torso, 2x arm and 2x leg... with slightly different damage modifiers... People would rightly be annoyed that it's a weak imitation of what was promised

Soldato
2 hours is plenty of time to judge whether something, a device, game, television etc is 'as described', 'fit for purpose' and/or 'satisfactory quality'. Anything over that then you're either taking the **** asking for a refund or plain simple.

Ayway, where's the cheapest for NMS at the moment? How does the game run on Crossfire? I'm running 2x 7970s with an i5 and 8gb ram.

Man of Honour
2 hours is plenty of time to judge whether something, a device, game, television etc is 'as described', 'fit for purpose' and/or 'satisfactory quality'. Anything over that then you're either taking the **** asking for a refund or plain simple.

Ayway, where's the cheapest for NMS at the moment? How does the game run on Crossfire? I'm running 2x 7970s with an i5 and 8gb ram.

With a game like NMS I can't agree (sure if it was incredibly broken out the box you could tell earlier) but it takes atleast 2 hours to get up and running in the game before you start to really see if it has the advertised features, etc. or not. The first few hours you barely scratch the surface of the game.

Associate

But its not..it could take you over 2 hours just to get off the 1st planet and then find most of what he said isn't there....so the only people taking the **** is the devs and doesn't make someone simple to see that they have been lied to.

Soldato
With a game like NMS I can't agree (sure if it was incredibly broken) but it takes atleast 2 hours to get up and running in the game before you start to really see if it has the advertised features, etc. or not.

I was trying to think about how to phrase it without coming across as a ****, this pretty much sums up how I wanted it worded lol.

I feel even worse for the people that spent ages on the first planet discovering everything, the disappointment for them is going to be huge.

Soldato

The devs had eight years to develop the game and couldn't get it right, but the consumer only gets two hours to assess it? That seems a crazy imbalance to me.

They had eight years and flat out lied about it, so IMO the consumer should get much more time to unravel what features the game actually does have, and which ones they lied about.

Soldato

What game? Shoot lasers at rocks n take photos of DuckBearPig? There is no game because there is no gameplay, which explains the lack of gameplay vids prior to release - there was nothing to show. This is a glorified game engine demo, nothing more.

Yes there are some who say they enjoy it but I believe only a minority of them actually enjoy it. For the rest, the enjoyment is not much other than self delusion, much like other scams such as homeopathy or accupuncture that 'Work for me so I don't care what anyone says!'.

The reskinned shooters or sports games are fun for some people, they buy them and they know what they are getting(same old with a few minor changes). There is nothing wrong with that n it's completely different than the snake oil you get when you purchase this garbage.

Man of Honour
I feel even worse for the people that spent ages on the first planet discovering everything, the disappointment for them is going to be huge.

I feel pretty glad I picked up on how transient the sites, etc. are early on and didn't get too committed to exploring or attached to the first planet at all.

I hadn't really followed the development of the game and having a bit of game development experience didn't have much expectation of them pulling off some stuff anyhow so I'm not as disappointed as I suspect some will be who bought into the hype.

Back
Top Bottom