Non stick pans.. that last!

Soldato
I've got the tefal ingenuity range with the clip kn handles they've held up well

giphy.gif

Associate
We've got Scoville neverstick. A couple are years old and still work perfectly.
Although if you're the sort that likes to leave stuff laying around for visitors to see then maybe they're not trendy enough.

Soldato
I gave up on non-stick a long time ago. For most things now I use uncoated stainless steel. I do have one non-stick frying pan for those awkward things that stick like glue, but only really to save the food. Stainless steel is really easy to clean even if the food is stuck.

Associate
Stainless steel I clean it with metal scourers. The way to make it non-stick when in use is simply do the following.

1 - Heat it hot with nothing on it, it will open up the pores in the metal
2 - Add oil then lower the heat

As the pores closes due to the temperature dropping, it makes the non-stick layer. Now you are reading to cook. Even an egg won't stick.
Somehow I've never looked up how to use a stainless steel pan until your comment, every time I've used one I've done it wrong :o. Did it how you said and it was significantly less sticky while cooking meat

Soldato
I gave up on non-stick a long time ago. For most things now I use uncoated stainless steel. I do have one non-stick frying pan for those awkward things that stick like glue, but only really to save the food. Stainless steel is really easy to clean even if the food is stuck.
Binned my last non-stick pan over a decade ago now, convinced they only exist to keep selling disposable crap to people over and over again.

Stainless steel pans. A cast iron crepe pan, and a cast iron griddle.

The griddle is super useful, doing a whole pack of bacon in one go, 4 steaks, two whole sliced aubergines or whatever.

I use the crepe pan all the time for omelette etc. A well seasoned iron pan is miles better than non-stick.

They're not all that different to look after either. To look after nonstick properly you need to handwash it. To look after iron you do the same, but just avoid detergent.

Soldato
We bought Circulon 14 yrs ago when we moved here and had a Induction hob - All are still OK except frying pan which wife burnt to a crisp. The rest of them are OK - I use a £14 none stick fry pan from dunelm and it does my steaks just right.
Best SS pan is a Wilko one -great little pan - The stock pots are SS and came free with the hob -They are good also.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's about 3 different kinds of coating they use check with the shopstaff /google the normal one is crao but there is one that's rated for metal utensils that's what I use

Yeah I have a Tefal Wok with the better non-stick coating that’s safe for metal utensils.

I have to say it’s as tough as old boots! Really good non-stick coating that has lasted extremely well.

This one

Caporegime
Yeah I have a Tefal Wok with the better non-stick coating that’s safe for metal utensils.

I have to say it’s as tough as old boots! Really good non-stick coating that has lasted extremely well.

This one
How do you find the non stick wok does it brown nicely?

I have a carbon steel one and unlike the carbon steel skillet I find it a nightmare just dirty and awkward to clean due to how things don't quite smoothly layer on it because a cooker gas hob is not a commercial wok burner theybseem made for

Soldato
can't have a non-stick wok - at least with the heat you can put in on a gas hob/smoking it will overheat the surface - cast iron lecreuset personally

circulon fry pan can't take the heat either - one I prepared earlier V
(probably doesn't help often do high temperature apple fritters (acidic) or corned beef hash, both of which the crispy/dark bits add to quality of dish)

(BAD PURECHASE) these are hard anodized .. but the concentric ridges, are crummy and just allow fat to catch in the dips and are hard to clean

Circulon TOTAL Non Stick System
Circulon features the technologically advanced TOTAL Nonstick System which combines a relaxed Hi-Low wave technology with one of the most nonstick coatings available.

Food cooks and releases on the entire surface of the pan. But raised circles on the 'Hi' area allow a fraction of the cooking surface to take all of the abuse of utensils, protecting the majority of the cooking surface on the 'Low' area from abrasion. The result of this has been enhanced cooking performance and nonstick durability.

41503031821_2d4b9565ba_o_d.jpg

Soldato
How the hell did you do that to that pan?
I've used Circulon for many years and have abused them (including falling asleep whilst a pan was on a gas hob) but never had one looking like that!

Soldato
Agree with the stainless steel. I’m currently getting copper ones but it’s taking a while.

I’ve got a little mini cast iron one for single eggs and i have a small non-stick from pro cooks for making scrambled eggs but I never ever make them so it’s just a dust collector.

Soldato
as said - wok temperature incompatible with non-stick on a decent gas hob

eg
Woks must be heated to very high temperatures—usually between 200 and 315 degrees. You'll need a burner with a high BTU rating to get the job done right. Most home stoves have BTU ratings between 10,000 and 20,000 BTUs.
Wok burners start at around 30,000 BTUs and go up from there. The higher the BTU rating, the more expensive the burner will be. However, it's worth investing in a quality burner that will last years.

Soldato
We bought a set of stainless steel saucepans when we go married. 27 years and still fine. Never had a non stick anything that last more than about 4 years. Stainless easy to clean unless its the Mrs making scrambled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom