Non traditional board games

Associate
Thanks for all the help so far I really appreciate it.

I've seen netrunner before and loved the whole cyperpunk running style and after watching that video I'm gonna have to say netrunner appeals to me more however I'm a little worried about the whole expansion and building decks side of it as I really don't wish to start pumping a lot of money into it and spending ages building decks! I'm never going to play competatively just with my missus or house mate and a few friends,will this game without buying additional cards last a decent amount of play through without having to spend money?
I would rather stay away from the type of game where I'm buying booster packs and having to mess around building decks and so forth,I will probably buy netrunner but that will I should imagine be the only one in this style of having to buy cards and boosters (seems very MTG to me,and that's in all honesty the part I dislike the most about MTG) and in all honesty seems to play quite like MTG.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Associate
I have zombies which is quite fun,but been wondering what zombicide is like its on the more expensive scale but was wondering peoples opinions on it,take into consideration though I have zombies and four of the better expansions, just not sure if it would be worth it.

Soldato
I haven't played Zombicide (but I really want to!), but Last Night on Earth is a good, straightforward zombie game. One player controls zombies, the others the survivors, and you choose the scenario to be played.

It's a good bit cheaper than Zombicide, too.

Associate
Zombicide is a pretty solid game imo and well worth the money, the quality of all components is excellent and there is a fair bit of content in the box.

It can take around 90mins - 2 hours for a game but its really enjoyable, although it can get stale quick if played a lot in a short time frame.

Associate
I may leave zombiecide until I tire of zombies.
In the end I've changed my order to this:
Epic spell wars
Munchkin:adventure time
Android:netrunner
Castle panic
Space hulk:death angel

Quite excited to receive these now, have checked reviews and gameplay and they all look brilliant, thankyou to the people who took the time to help and suggest some games for me.

If there are any other games people recommend please say as I would like to get more at a later date and can put them on my wish list.
Don't worry pestilence claustrophobia is on my next to buy wish list!!haha

Associate
+100000000 on this. Claustrophobia is a FANTASTIC game for two players. I love it. Love it, love it, LOVE IT! Loads of extra official scenarios available for free to download, also.

Battlelore: Second Edition is also nothing short of excellent. Loads of minis, great opportunities for strategy and a really good "mix up" style for setting up scenarios that tends to keep things feeling fresh each time.

If it's just two of you playing most of the time, you need those games in your collection.

Oh, and the Summoner Wars Master Set!

'Claustrophobia' has two official expansions and some additional scenarios/campaign book on boardgame geek with a link to get them professionally printed.
I've yet to play any of these yet after getting them but the base game along is excellent.

'Battlelore' has two upcoming expansions to increase variety in the base game armies as well as two neutral 'mercenary' type figures that will add even more to an otherwise excellent game.

Epic Spell Wars is great fun, BUT I would say that you need three or four players to get the most out of it. Some of the cards target opponents in different directions etc. and you don't get that extra element with only two players.

If you enjoy Magic, you might want to have a look at Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game. Grab the base set and you'll get a good deal of head-to-head play time out of it before adding any of the expansions. Same thing for Android: Netrunner.

If you enjoy your co-operative play, grab a copy of Castle Panic and the Wizards Tower expansion. Also consider Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror and Ghost Stories -- though all are punishingly difficult to win.

Speaking of punishingly difficult, also think about picking up Space Hulk: Death Angel. It's a co-operative/solo card game that just LOVES to kick your ass, and it's pretty cheap.

I'd also recommend Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer or Storm of Souls for an intro into deckbuilding. It works really well for 2 or 3 players and makes for a very quick in-between game.

Oh, and CLAUSTROPHOBIA! For two players only, but man oh man... I'll recommend that any chance I can get.

If you like Love Letter, pick up a copy of Coup. It's from the folks who made The Resistance, but works with much fewer players, plays very quickly, and is really great fun with three or more people. And it's small (so goes to the pub easily) and cheap.

For head-to-head war gaming (on a more accessible scale), consider Battlelore: Second Edition and Mythic Battles. Both are fantastic.

In terms of Munchkin... well, they're pretty much all the same except for a re-skin, so if she loves Adventure Time then go ahead and grab that. It's a game that needs at least four players to be interesting in my opinion, however -- and you'll very quickly get fed up with it. I refuse to play it anymore because it just drags on FAR too long, and the wife and her friend always decide to go full-on "take that" when it comes to me, refusing any help, battering me down any chance they can get while ignoring anyone else who is obviously sprinting to victory. Just makes it a real chore to play.

Have to agree with pretty much everything here. 'Elder Signs', 'Ghost Stories' and especially the Space Hulk card game are excellent games. The 'Space Hulk' card game is also very enjoyable as a solo experience.

'Coup' is excellent and a far better game than 'Love Letter'.

'Munchkin', I played once and that was once too many. One of the only games I'm disappointed to have bought. It just drags on far too long to stay enjoyable.
While a totally different game but still relying on luck I find 'Talisman' to be a fun game. Although it gets a lot of criticism as luck makes up 90 % of the game.

Anybody play star wars imperial assault?
What's there thoughts on it?

We had our second sitting of the campaign last night. A second VERY close victory to the Rebels and one resounding victory to myself playing as the Imperials.
This game is very near perfect to me. I'd recommend having a look on YouTube and Board Game Geek for actual reviews. The only thing I don't like about the game is adding up the dice (X amount of attacks and Y surges Z range, - A damage and B surges from the defence, wait, how many surges is that again? So I can use this surge to deal 2 damage and, wait, how much damage again?). In fact I might invest in the dice app, just to avoid adding up dice anymore!

Edit:
On an unrelated note everyone should own 'Formula D'.

Associate
thanks for the suggestons so far guys i really appreciate it,off of the suggestions ive got so far (in here,other threads and internet scouring) iordered these yesterday:

betrayl at house on the hill
coup
cards against humanity
castle panic
castle panic the wizards tower
epic spell wars

and looked what turned up today!!
used my rial of prime to get next day delivery!,however catle panic was supposed to take a week to arrive but came next day,happy it did though now just waiting for the base game to turn up!.

tajJwODl.jpg

also picked this up for the missus:
NYQnLKJl.jpg

had a little play of it lastnight we all seemed to enjoy it espically the missus reciting where and what everything was about and who everyone was haha.

Last edited:
Associate
Finally getting round to playing Dreadball, despite backing both it and the xtreme version on kickstarter.

First proper game for me and the missus last night, my Marauders edged her humans by a two point victory by the end of the game.

Good laughs were had on both sides, though she managed to kill one of my goblin jacks and I got an Orx guard red carded...

Soldato
Care to explain?

How much explanation do you need? I'm passing on what I've been told by the person in our group who owned Zombicide (he sold it because it isn't great and doesn't get played a lot but it flips for a decent amount), which is that everything he's seen in GBTBG is identical to Zombicide but they've removed a couple of mechanics that aren't relevant. Cryptozoic have a reputation for copying other people's games, so I'm Ready To Believe Him.

Soldato
Well your comment was rather vague. It came across that it has models and tiles so is ripped off. Here you say you have been told by a person in your group yet in the other thread you have said you took a good hard look at it. I just wanted some clarification on why you believe it to be a re skinned copy of zombicide.

I cannot see any reference to the rules on the kickstarter page or even any info on how the game is played besides a very small blurb. But looking at the stuff you get and having played zombicide a fair bit the similarities seem to stop at the art style, the modular board and the models which as things stand could say that several other games are complete rip off of other ones.

I may very well be wrong and it is a massive rip off (The main reason I have not backed it yet is I want more info before doing so) I just expected a bit more info from you than the vague statements you have given

Last edited:
Soldato
I cannot see any reference to the rules on the kickstarter page or even any info on how the game is played besides a very small blurb.

And that's the reason I wouldn't back the Kickstarter. It might turn out to be an awesome game but, at the moment, it sounds like the game part is an afterthought to the models.

Soldato
And that's the reason I wouldn't back the Kickstarter. It might turn out to be an awesome game but, at the moment, it sounds like the game part is an afterthought to the models.

Well yeah, It is the primary reason I have not backed this yet, As much as I would love a Ghostbusters board game no info means no backing :(

Associate

That's how a lot of kickstarter games are that have a lot of models. More directed towards the painters which I soon hope to join (I'm looking at your Imperial Assault models).

Soldato
I may very well be wrong and it is a massive rip off (The main reason I have not backed it yet is I want more info before doing so) I just expected a bit more info from you than the vague statements you have given

Getting further clarification: the character sheets are apparently set up exactly the same way, among other things. The guy says that the more he looked at it, the more he could pick out. I can't be more specific because I haven't actually played Zombicide myself.

Soldato
The character sheets are set out completely differently, The only similarity between them is they have experience, levels and a character portrait which tbh sounds like a generic character sheet to me.

Zombicide
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...zgY26IWjWbv5Bqgbkh9iZvl7mZzhPVzoVEDeykCoTYtVq

Experience tracker runs across the entire top of the sheet with abilities set out underneath this and a choice of abilities per tier
Room for 5 items
Character portrait
Rectangle in shape

Ghost Busters
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets...9ed64ffb211f50f717510f16_large.jpg?1423254256
Levels are tiered down right side side of card with a single ability and experience tracker per tier
Character portrait
Rectangle in shape

I cannot link anything properly as it would be a hotlink and I do not have access to personal storage etc at work to upload and link anything so have provided direct links to things. I would stop taking your friends word for it and go take a look yourself.

Of course I am not denying the similarities between the games as there are likely to be more than a few but with the limited information you can hardly say it is a clear cut copy of Zombicide just yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom