Not sure which monitor to buy.

Associate
Hi there,

I currently own two 27 inch monitors, a Cooler Master Tempest GP27Q and an Asus XG27WQ, which I have been running together for nine months or so.

I want to upgrade to either an ultrawide, or super ultrawide OLED panel. Now I'm not quite sure which monitor to go for. My budget is around £1000. I mainly game on my PC, 90 percent of the time, so that's the main use. I've got a 7800X3D CPU and 4080 GPU, so I guess I can go either way with 1440p or 4K.

Can I please get some recommendations?

Thank you.

Caporegime
Wait til the Alienwar AW3423DWF is next on offer circa-£700 and go for that, by far the best value QD-OLED Ultrawide at that money. Timmeh at Monitors Unboxed even recommends it over the 240Hz Aus WOLED model. Job done.

If you don't really want to wait the MEG 342C is also on offer atm at £799 and v v good, I'm running one atm and am v impressed :)

(It's 175Hz, OcUK have a ****load of errors all over the site atm inc monitors. Lazy really)

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with Jedi, it's the one to go for if you want Ultrawide, which I love, I have both a 4K IPS and an Alienware AW3423DW OLDED Ultrawide and I can't recommend both an OLED and an UW enough for gaming really, provided you're not a Twitch streamer or E-Sports nut at least. 4K does have it's advantages but it is much harder to drive to high frame rates and really the extra resolution makes less of a possitive impact for me than the extra viewing areas afforded by the 21:9 aspect ratio.

Last edited:
Associate
Wait til the Alienwar AW3423DWF is next on offer circa-£700 and go for that, by far the best value QD-OLED Ultrawide at that money. Timmeh at Monitors Unboxed even recommends it over the 240Hz Aus WOLED model. Job done.

If you don't really want to wait the MEG 342C is also on offer atm at £799 and v v good, I'm running one atm and am v impressed :)

(It's 175Hz, OcUK have a ****load of errors all over the site atm inc monitors. Lazy really)
Got the Alienware for £676 this week, happy bunny

Associate
Yup, cracking price for that and should pair brilliantly with your 4080S for quite some time :)

Enjoy!
It does seem a cracking bit of kit, after sorting my pc out this month there was still an itch to be scratched. It definitely feels like I'll be good for a fair while. Very weird to whack the sliders in the settings to the right rather than the left :cry:

Soldato
Hi there,

I currently own two 27 inch monitors, a Cooler Master Tempest GP27Q and an Asus XG27WQ, which I have been running together for nine months or so.

I want to upgrade to either an ultrawide, or super ultrawide OLED panel. Now I'm not quite sure which monitor to go for. My budget is around £1000. I mainly game on my PC, 90 percent of the time, so that's the main use. I've got a 7800X3D CPU and 4080 GPU, so I guess I can go either way with 1440p or 4K.

Thank you.
Similar spec here 7800X3D + 4080 FE.

I have both of the Dell Alienware monitors AW3423DW & AW3225QF so format would be the main decider. Text clarity is better on the 4K monitor but for mostly gaming I was happy with the UW for 18months.

I find the 4K monitor feels bigger overall and the extra refresh is nice to have though not essential. I have noticed some VRR on the 4K monitor on dark grey flat areas but it's not common. I didn't even realise VRR was a thing on the 175Hz UW until it was pointed out. 200Hz+ monitors definitely suffer VRR flicker more.

The dell monitors are good choices I believe the MSI or LG monitors tend to have more features. On balance the QD-OLED screen tech appears the better panel choice currently.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I ended up going for the MSI MEG 342C, and I'm loving it. From what I gather, it's the same panel as the Alienware AW3423DWF, and is basically MSI's version of that monitor. It seems to review a bit better than the AW3423DWF as well, which swung it for me, and I'm not disappointed. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom