• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Coming This Summer Featuring 3072 CUDA Cores and 6GB of GDDR5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Here we go, has 12GB at 1440 now 6GB is not enough. It's well enough.

I've been saying 8GB min for ages.. Don't be lame :p

And obviously if I thought 6GB was enough I would just go with a 6GB card :rolleyes:

6GB is ample for 1440P.

No it's really not. 8GB should be standard for new cards.. It's 2015, 1440P / 4K need more vram. Jeezus some games at 1440P can use 6Gb already..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Here we go, has 12GB at 1440 now 6GB is not enough. It's well enough.

Examples please. :)

My point was Raven was trying to make out now Nvidia has a 12GB card people will say nothing else is enough. Which isn't true.

I've been saying for ages that 8GB should be min for new 'High end' cards. Loads of oher people have said the same thing about AMD's upcoming GPU's. For their truly not to be limitation and have any future proofyness.

Here's a post I made in Nov 2014, http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27245083&postcount=4 Shadow of Mordor using over 6GB. That's a 2014 game running at 1440P, what are future games going to be like? I guess it's ok if you don't want to be able to enable highest textures etc. I would expect new high end cards to have a bit of wiggle room. 8GB+ is perfect.

Here's another post from before the Titan X launched !! http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27771876&postcount=24

So peeps have been saying this before Titan X even came along !!

A heart felt apologie will be sufficient :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah it'll be gimped in some way, 7000M Transistors with most likely '4GB + 2GB super cache' 6GB Total along with 80 ROPS VS Titan X's 96 ROPS :p

We won't find out until a while after launch though :p

Soldato
OP
Personally I'm hoping for a 780 Ti/Titan Black situation with the Titan X just having the SP/DP and more memory, If this will be the situation then it's an instant buy for me.

I was really considering the Titan X but I don't plan on going 4K anytime soon as I'm only just now looking at the Swift as I prefer single card solutions and Titans were made to be in pairs :p

Titans were made to be in pairs? You crazy bro :p If you want best single card you get the best single card which is the Titan X, it still will be after the 980 Ti launches. The 390X might usurp it though, if AMD ever get around to releasing it..

Single Titan X + 1440P = Sweet spot ;)

4K 2 or more Titan X..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So am guessing it looks like NVidia is going be falling behind AMD again when it come to The Vram amount they going put on there high end GPU :(

IE
Nvidia 980TI 6GB
AMD 390X 8GB

The 390X would be the better choice imho, 8GB of lighting fast HBM over 6GB GDRR5 anyday.

I'm sure the 980 will be gimped beyond just less memory VS Titan X. Will likely have something disabled so less ROPS, Less Cache, and less Memory. Although whether Nvidia tell people about it is another thing :p

Soldato
OP
If they bring out an 8GB 980Ti itd make the Tx largely useless. They'll do something to restrict its performance.

Agreed, after the backlash for the 970, I imagine Nvidia wouldn't want to outright annoy Titan X owners (The largest spenders).

It will be gimped in some way, Nvidia will be upfront (Hopefully) about what has been disabled / downgraded over Titan X to avoid any more problems like 970.

Tbh I think you're better buying the highest end chip as then you know (Hopefully) it's a non gimped part..

Good point regarding vram, though if the rumours are true about the 390 being fitted with an AIO, this will make it an instant no for me personally. Wouldnt have the room in the case for it.

Yeah would be the same here, don't have room for another RAD, my 4770K is under Antec Kuhler 920. I'm sure vendors will put their own cooling in 390X as well.

Will be waiting to see what the likes of MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire and ASUS can come up with. Custom PCB with third party cooled 390X 8GB ftw !

A little birdy told me these may be on 14nm. (Keep it to yourself) (;

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti confirmed to feature 6GB memory

Today are going to talk about GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

While everyone is waiting for Radeon 300 series, NVIDIA is busy developing yet another flagship card that will target yet unreleased Fiji-based Radeon graphics cards.

Some of you might have noticed that we didn’t cover recent GTX 980 Ti rumors. It was for two reasons: nothing was confirmed (not even the name of the card) and secondly almost everything that was posted was based on speculation. This post however, is based solely on our new information provided by credible source (thanks Jen-Hsun!).

GeForce GTX 980 Ti with GM200-310 GPU

First of all, we can confirm that the next installment in GeForce 900 series is codenamed GTX 980 Ti. NVIDIA took the same path as with TITAN BLACK and GTX 780 Ti. GTX TITAN X will continue to offer maximum memory capacity (12GB), while GeForce GTX 980 Ti just a half of this enormous frame buffer (6GB).

http://videocardz.com/55419/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-confirmed-to-feature-6gb-memory

Soldato
OP
Might have ben answered all ready but not read the entire thread.

Why not 8gb? Is it bus multiplication thing? :confused:

Unless this is to avoid another 3.5gb-esque gate by redistributing memory across the crossbars in a new architecture?

Yep, that's right. To achieve 8GB would have required manipulation. Whereas 6GB would allow true 6GB utilization.

Wander how much these will cost..

It's got me questioning whether nVidia know the 3 series will beat their lineup in terms of performance so they're releasing all their cards now to try and grab even more market share before the 3 series lands.

I don't think it matters tbh, the AMD cards need to be better to regain some market share. Nvidia are so far ahead (In terms of market share). Even if AMD cards are better performance / cost. Nvidia can afford to lose a fair chunk of market share to avoid being a monopoly and follow up with a big launch in Q1/Q2 2016. They have made a fortune on Maxwell already. Allow AMD to catchup a bit then make a big play with Pascal next year on a more mature HBM type memory architecture and die shrink. Nvdia will bring the big guns with Pascal.

It's down to AMD to deliver with the 3XX series and play catchup. I expect them to lead in performance this year and Nvidia to overtake again next year. It's always been this way though, one slightly ahead of the other and vise / versa. Only difference is this time Nvidia almost own the market (76%) and can afford to let AMD play catchup while they reap record profits.

AMD need to come out fighting for sure. I'll prob buy 390X on day one, I like to do my bit :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't think any of these last ditch 28nm cards will have a particularly long lifespan, we need a die shrink and it will come next year with big performance improvements.

Yup, next year will be a resurgence on interest on the PC space. Die shrinks, finally some nice performance per watt gains after stagnation on 28nm, better architecture from AMD. Windows 10 established and games starting to utilise DirectX 12.

Windows 8.1 failing to grab market and stagnation of CPU / GPU haven't helped the PC market, W10 actually looks like it will be good and finally some die shrunk hardware, if an £850 28nm GPU can grab some market share, imagine what a powerful 14nm/16nm £400 card, along with an AMD CPU that's actually good could do to the marekt. Most people are just waiting for something worthy of an upgrade. Think 2016 will buck the downward trend and see growth.

Soldato
OP
Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti with GM200-310 Maxwell Core Could Launch by Computex

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-980-ti-gm200-310-maxwell-launch/#ixzz3ag6FZ500

A report by KitGuru (via PCGamesHardware) states that the rumored GM200 powered GPU, the GTX 980 Ti, could launch at the Computex trade show next month. The report also states that sales will start immediately after the announcement which means we are not looking at a paper launch rather than the actual event. The Geforce GTX 980 Ti will feature the Maxwell GM200-310 core, which will most probably be the cut down form and should be priced to compete with the upcoming Red launches.

Soldato
OP
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti performance benchmarks

I’ve just got off the phone with Jensen. GeForce GTX 980 Ti may actually arrive before Computex.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti to arrive before AMD’s “Fiji”

The GTX 980 Ti reviews should be up before computer expo in Taipei. First review samples were already sent out, and we should be seeing more leaks in the coming days. We have been told that reviews might be posted next week. NVIDIA is allegedly planning a launch of SHIELD TV console on May 28th, so perhaps we will see 980 Ti at the same day?

http://videocardz.com/55566/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-performance-benchmarks

EHi99DI.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am going to go for £559 cheapest and with top end hitting £619

Yeah this is where I would expect the 980 Ti to come in and the 980's to get a price drop.

I still think we will see a 960 Ti (3GB /192 bit/bus) and as a wildcard a 970 Ti before this gen is done with..

Then next year... Pascal !!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom