Oblivion / Fallout 3 - Microstutter / frameskip ongoing issue for a minority!

Associate
30 Frame clamp just makes the game run at twice the speed, which is not ideal at all. This bug is defienetly a game breaker, and is not fixed by any codec or driver changes,

This is 100% engine related/Sync problem

Associate
I get this too, but it's very very small, not at all off putting.
Had it with Oblivion too, on 3 different systems and atleast FIVE different cards (ATI and Nvidia - all high-end), with Win XP and Vista. Using the lowest or highest game settings has no effect. I'm sure it will do it on any PC, just some people do not notice as it's nothing big. I can only really notice it when side stepping anyway.

Other games have done this that i've played in the past, it's nothing new. Anyway it's so small i cant see how it could put someone off playing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also using the iFPSclamp=60

When going under 60fps its like your moonwalking and very slow.

So I changed my settings (could be different for everyone)

But im running a Q6600, 4gb RAM and a ATI 4870 512MB

Running at:

1680 x 1050
AA=4
AF=4
HDR Enabled

I had everything set to Ultra initially and found it ok but out in the open if it went below 60fps with the iFPSclamp=60 enabled. Its slowmotion time :(

Have changed the settings for Ultra everything set to max bar:

(Detail)Radial Blur Quality = Medium
(Water)Reflection Quality = Medium
(Shadow)Shadow Quality= Medium

Only those 3 settings now it rarely goes under 60 I havnt had one touch of slowmotion yet!!! (both outside and inside)

I know its not the ideal solution to the problem but it works for me :D

Associate
I remember IL2 had this exact problem. Can't remember if a graphics upgrade cured it or it if was one of the numerous patches.

Associate
Also using the iFPSclamp=60

When going under 60fps its like your moonwalking and very slow.

So I changed my settings (could be different for everyone)

But im running a Q6600, 4gb RAM and a ATI 4870 512MB

Running at:

1680 x 1050
AA=4
AF=4
HDR Enabled

I had everything set to Ultra initially and found it ok but out in the open if it went below 60fps with the iFPSclamp=60 enabled. Its slowmotion time :(

Have changed the settings for Ultra everything set to max bar:

(Detail)Radial Blur Quality = Medium
(Water)Reflection Quality = Medium
(Shadow)Shadow Quality= Medium

Only those 3 settings now it rarely goes under 60 I havnt had one touch of slowmotion yet!!! (both outside and inside)

I know its not the ideal solution to the problem but it works for me :D

It seems that the framerate naturally and briefly falls below 60 when it loads up a new area with textures etc. This is causing the moonwalking effect for me too as I have used the ifpsclamp=60.

Soldato
Not sure what this fpsclamp thing is, but my fps was already limited to 60 fps without me changing anything after installation (this is with vsync off).

As for the microstuttering, I get it too, but it's very random. At 60fps, I never get it, but once it drops below that, I frequently get this stuttering/frameskipping.

It's weird, because even though the fps might be, say 40, the frameskipping makes it feel more like 20. Other times though, the fps might as low as 30, but there is no stuttering and in this case it's still very playable.

My specs:

Athlon X2 4400+ @ 2.5ghz
Asus A8N-E
2GB DDR-400
HD4870 512mb (Cat 8.10)
X-Fi Soundcard
XP32-SP2

Soldato
Now I thought it had something to do with my spec but even at 800x600 on low no AA or HDR I get it all over the place.

I can't use the temporary fix because even on those settings there are some places frames drop below 50

4200+ x2 @2.75GHz
ASUS A8N SLi
2GB Patriot PC3200
emu 0404
xp32 sp3
7800GTX

Soldato
No problems here. Looking at the range of specs that suffer from it though it appears to be an engine issue. Crazy that they have not fixed it yet, especially as this is not the second game it appears in!

X2 @ 2.5GHz
2GB DDR
8800GTS 512MB
Vista x64

Soldato
This is really getting under me now! Does it happen in the main menu for anyone else? Sometimes I can get into the game fine then it will start up but now it just happened in the main menu and I couldn't even get into the game!

Caporegime
OP
Note: There is another type of stuttering which can occur, often referred to as micro-stuttering, juddering or skipping. It usually appears as tiny skips, like missing frames in a movie. This is not the same as the normal type of stuttering mentioned above, it is not caused by loading new data, it appears to be an actual bug related to graphics synchronization in the Gamebryo engine, possibly made more noticeable by certain graphics drivers. A video demonstration of the problem is shown here. To confirm the problem, use the iFPSClamp=60 setting as covered in the Advanced Tweaking section - if that removes the skipping then you are experiencing this issue. However changing iFPSClamp does not properly resolve this problem as it will then ruin your overall game speed at certain times. At the moment the only known solutions you can try are to firstly force enable VSync both in the game as well as in your graphics card's control panel - see the VSync option in the In-Game Settings section for instructions. If changing VSync doesn't work, try using a different version of your graphics driver. If that still doesn't work, there is a fix which some users claim will work as posted here. If none of these things work then you will have to wait for either a patch and/or a new graphics driver version to resolve the issue. It's an issue that's been present in the Gamebryo engine at least since Oblivion so it is not new, and so far there is no real solution.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_3.html

Last edited:
Associate
I had some stuttering on Fallout 3 (not oblivion) and I solved it by disabling SLi, I found the FPS actually increased to a solid 60fps. looks like I might be selling one or both for a GTX260

Back
Top Bottom