• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*****OcUK Benchmark Results from ATI HD 69xx Series*****

Associate
I think i am pretty dissapointed in amd tbh these cards do not seem to be a massive step up from my 6870. Faster off course but these new drivers better be where the rest of the performance comes from as a 6870 is a really good buy when i think of how much faster a 6950/70 is.

I understand amd's strategy but if this performance is all they can come up with against a gtx580 i think its pretty poor.
The previous release saw the 5870 short of the 480, and the 4xxx series slower than nvidia's 2xx, so why be shocked or disappointed if it's the same this time around. The gap may even have been closed a little bit, so that sounds good to me.

Soldato
Yeah probably looking at an extra 10% from the CPU (assuming clock for clock the same) and another 15% on top of that based on the lower resolution. Given that it's not really any quicker.

CPU speed makes little to no difference in heaven, it's all about the GPU, I have benched my 920 at stock and 4Ghz, makes little to no difference to the results.

Soldato
Can anyone confirm whether AMD driver optimistations were turned on or off within the new drivers?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think i am pretty dissapointed in amd tbh these cards do not seem to be a massive step up from my 6870. Faster off course but these new drivers better be where the rest of the performance comes from as a 6870 is a really good buy when i think of how much faster a 6950/70 is.

I understand amd's strategy but if this performance is all they can come up with against a gtx580 i think its pretty poor.

2x 6950 at a little over £400 and you are complaining that it's not good enough? Or you could buy less than one GTX 580 and watch it struggle, oh.. no wait you can't buy a 580 'cause Nvidia only built 7. :p

Associate
Apparently newer driver increase performance.

6970.png

I think we will see even better results come the reviews.

slight different conditions but that's very promising! even if it's a little slower than gtx 580, at £100 less there's not even a case.

I'm more happy with the tessellation performance tbh. Now AMD can start telling developers to make good use of tessellation.

Soldato
:eek: Jesus H C !!! :eek:

who are the cheapest 70's and how are the most expensive ?
These are all ref, no custom coolers ?

OcUK Staff
OP
If you buy in store we shall give you a further £5 discount and a free game, so come on down and visit us at our shop! (Must be instore transaction/purchase)! This offer is not available for web orders/counter collect!

So basically come visit us and say hello! :D :D :D

Soldato
tbh the gtx580 wipes the floor with your 6870, where as the 6970 with latest drivers might well trade blows with the 580

Tbh my resolution at 1920x1200 is pretty high and my 6870 plays every game i have flawless. My mate has a 5970 overclocked to 950 core and basically he can not tell the difference when he plays on my machine. So maybe a gtx580 in your eyes wipes the floor with a 6870 but it does not really provide a much better gaming experience if i am to be honest.

Any how i never said the 6970 was slow with the new drivers as i have not seen a full review using the new drivers. If you look up i said the new drivers better be where the performance is because in gibbo's review i think the card is to slow.

Amd are smart though and price will win or lose this round and price/performace looks pretty good but with a performance driver price/performance will look great and thats where my money would be going.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
the range difference between brands?

So HIS will be 279 and 215? :rolleyes:

OcUK brand will be cheapest which is VTX3D and Powercolor.

HIS, Sapphire and Powercolor are Tier1 Partners, basically the top 3 and AMD's best customers.

For me I'd always buy HIS and Sapphire personally. :)

Caporegime
Quite impressed myself, so far. Will be very interested to watch / read reviews even though I doubt I'll be buying a new card for some months.

Back
Top Bottom