OcUK Dadsnet thread

Associate
/rant ahead

My youngest (under 2..) has been sick at 3am.
My wife who think that her job is vastly more important than mine wants me to work from home tomorrow to look after him. I can't work with a 1 year old attached to me. I have a full day of teams meetings and 2 physical on site visits to do. The on site ones will be a real pitta to reorganise as there are multiple people traveling to do them.
All of which I'll have to cancel and rearrange now. And my wife... will go to her job as a nursery teacher...

Why are wife's so ridiculous at times? Unable to listen to reason?

Rant over...
(Happy to look after the child, will be a nice chill day with snuggles.. but going to cause headaches at work)

Hmmm yea similar thing here, however I ultimately won out, we agreed the largest salary wins. We could cope (just) on my salary, we'd be homeless on just hers.

That said as I can work from home if I've not got meetings etc booked in then I generally will stay home and look after child.

It is harder for her to get time off and usually have to take a day unpaid if I can't stay home.

Last edited:
Soldato
She won't get paid for a day off. Which I accept.
However, I've had meetings that are now pushed back by nearly 14 days which I've had on the books for a month!
And due to this, my next two weeks of work has now got to change and I need to adjust my priority list. Really is a massive headache, I'd rather give her the days wage instead lmao.
She doesn't care about what I do. It's a desk job so "can't be hard" lol.
Some days I wish I stayed a teacher. Just to get her to accept I work hard too hahaha.

Marriage dynamics are fun.

Soldato
Bit of a palaver last 24 hours. Our son was born with forceps. They said he’s very likely to be jaundiced because of this and that it’ll peak at around day 5. Well yesterday was day 5 we took him to the day 5 midwife appointment. She did the skin test for jaundice and she said based on this reading I advise you to go to A&E. As well he had dropped 15% body weight since birth, apparently 7-10% is ‘normal’.

So we went to A&E and they took bloods. His levels were just below the boundary for phototherapy treatment, however his sodium levels were high, they would have told us to go home if not for the sodium levels. So he’s been admitted, and because of that they might as well do phototherapy as well. Been tough, more expressing and bottle feeding to measure exactly how much he’s taking. He seems to have come on loads though, eating a lot, lots of nappies. And his skin is looking better. They took bloods at 1:30am. Hopefully they’re back by 4, and hopefully they’re good enough that we can go home. If not it’s another 8 hours of phototherapy and bottle feeding until he improves enough to let us home.

Just want my boy and wife to be home and safe. Absolutely shattered but got to crack on. Currently home to pick up some supplies. We only left the house with enough to go to the midwife and back home… that was 9:30am… it’s now 17 hours later….
Finally home… sodium levels good. Put on 225 grams in 48 hours. God I hate being in hospitals. The relief of being in your own home with your family. Priceless.

Soldato
She won't get paid for a day off. Which I accept.
However, I've had meetings that are now pushed back by nearly 14 days which I've had on the books for a month!
And due to this, my next two weeks of work has now got to change and I need to adjust my priority list. Really is a massive headache, I'd rather give her the days wage instead lmao.
She doesn't care about what I do. It's a desk job so "can't be hard" lol.
Some days I wish I stayed a teacher. Just to get her to accept I work hard too hahaha.

Marriage dynamics are fun.
Does she not get holiday time? We've been fortunate as either mine or my wife's parents can cover as they are all retired. Not sure if I could claim to be sick to look after my kids (although I did during COVID, although that was a bit more serious for others).

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally home… sodium levels good. Put on 225 grams in 48 hours. God I hate being in hospitals. The relief of being in your own home with your family. Priceless.
Those first few weeks are so hard if feeding is tough, both of our first two dropped a lot. Totally know the feeling of getting away from the hospital, hope it's all plainer sailing from now on, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom