Oculus Rift Excited Like Kids Thread (My rift arrived)

Soldato
OP
So, here's an honest truth after playing with my Rift all day - I had the day off work as it required a signature.

Obviously a long time supporter of the Rift.

I ran hundreds of demos, and that's not exaggerating.

To family over Christmas's and an extended family reunion I've shown it to every family member I have, which totals about 60 people

To friends I've done about the same - if you include neighbours that got a wee shot when we had a house warming in August.

To the public I've demoed the DK1 twice, and then I demoed the DK2 three times - of which I had access to two DK2's at the time (I actually accidentally bought two so sold the other to a friend, at cost, who lent me it back for demos and such like)

daFF4dj.jpg

In all, I've shown the Oculus Rift in its various incarnations to around 600 people.

HOWEVER...

I don't think I'll be running another demo to people I've already shown until I get the HTC Vive.

The difference between the DK1 and DK2 was huge. The games and applications being developed were hitting their prime and most, if not all, DK2 demo's where several orders of magnitude more impressive than on the DK1

With the CV1 I highly doubt that anyone that's tried it before, that isn't interested in tech, would notice the difference.

Ok, yes, there's less screen door - but they didn't notice it before if I chose the right demo (which I obviously did)

Yes, the built in headphones make things super simple - but I helped them on the with the headset before so it was never an issue in the first place for them.

Yes, the cable is longer and the tracking volume is bigger so you can walk around - but nothing has been made that really exploits this. Combined with the lack of chaperone system you continually walk around with your arms out waiting to walk into something.

To me, the HTC Vive's use of controllers is just what it needs to make it awe inspiring again for someone that's tried it before.

Owning and using the Razer Hyder and Leap Motion (with the new Orion SDK) clearly shows how much better VR gets when you get hand tracking involved and it's SUCH a shame that Oculus missed this at launch.

Once my HTC Vive arrives I'll be arranging a public demo with both systems. For the Rift I'll probably setup Project Cars, the Vive I'm not sure, will need to try some things out when I get it.

If the Rift had launched with Touch I'd be arranging a demo as we speak, but as it stands the HTC Vive is going to be first to market to exploit this and I'll be waiting until then before I do any more demos.

Still love my Rift... Can't wait for Touch... Can't wait for my Vive :)

Soldato
OP
Ok, I take it all back - screw room scale! I got DCS working!

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/ - free on Steam, wait for sales before buying any module, they're at least 50% off every 6 months.

YOU CAN READ THE COCKPIT PEOPLE! AHHHH!

P.S. Sorry, probably won't update this thread for around 107 hours as that's how long I think I can last without food / water while playing this. LATERS!

Soldato
OP
How are you getting on with installing stuff from the oculus store? I found I had to turn off my anti virus to get things to finish installing.

Aye, it's a ****ing pain in the backside.

My slow internet is getting hammered by virtue of the fact that each time an install fails it downloads from scratch.

Seriously hate it with a passion. I understand it's purpose, just hate Beta testing it.

Associate
oculus shoudn't have released the headset without the controllers, rift right now doesnt offer you the immersion that comes with the Vive, if you get the headset for gaming, the Vive is a no brainer, roomscale and controllers are another level of VR.

Don
oculus shoudn't have released the headset without the controllers, rift right now doesnt offer you the immersion that comes with the Vive, if you get the headset for gaming, the Vive is a no brainer, roomscale and controllers are another level of VR.

I have to agree. Rather than arriving to the party late with a killer device, they've released it early without the motion controllers which is going to get it the rep of being the headset without room-scale VR.
I really think they dropped the ball in a massive way.

Soldato

Problem is, I've played all the demos on the vive, and whilst they were interesting for a few minutes, I couldn't see myself playing any of them for more than an hour or so.

The only games ive found worth playing for an extended period are project cars and elite, both games I play anyway, and the immersion is just as good with proper controllers for those, which I also already had.

Even looking at the games coming out its a similar situation for quite a while.

In the meantime the oculus has a bit less SDE, better comfort and built in audio

VR needs proper full games, not tech demos

If your primary aim for getting a headset is 30-60 minute demos to other people then the vive is great

and then I've just seen VorpX has been updated to 1.3 so going to put a load of FPS games through their paces this afternoon.

Last edited:
Associate
true most VR games right now are demo like, or even finished they are kinda short, something to expect when u have a new platform with a completly new ways to interact, or different limitations.
even demos, you still get unique experiences, yes you have games that are not replayable a lot, like job simulator, but you have others that have a long life span like the multi-player hover junker, or kinda full game like budget cuts(not released yet, but shouldn't be far away), and ofc you can play project cars and elite dangerous, with your gamepad, if you are bored with the rest, still better than being bored and have no other choice demo or not.
the vive is also way more family friendly, you can have a blast with your friends or family, playing stuff like audioshield or fantastic contraptions, it's easier to share the experience with ppl who are not into gaming, who are awkward with a gamepad, the controllers feel natural even to non gamers, and the room scale makes it even more fun, the oculus is great, but the Vive just offers way more value so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
andybird123 said:
Problem is, I've played all the demos on the vive, and whilst they were interesting for a few minutes, I couldn't see myself playing any of them for more than an hour or so

What did you think of job simulator? It looks great from the youtube vids ive seen of it.

and then I've just seen VorpX has been updated to 1.3 so going to put a load of FPS games through their paces this afternoon.

Let us know how you get on please :) And i'm assuming sick bag on standby?

Last edited:
Soldato
AlamoX, do you own either yet? Have you spent hours with one? Hover junkers is incredibly grindy, once you get past the initial wow factor it's not something I would spend hours playing, same with Eve:valkyrie on the Rift, they are simply not $50 games

What did you think of job simulator? It looks great from the youtube vids ive seen of it.

Let us know how you get on please :) And i'm assuming sick bag on standby?

It was interesting, and had a wow factor for a few minutes, its a great demo of the type of things that are possible, but it's not really "a game" it's a demo of some game mechanics

I've got vorpx installed so when the kids go to sleep i'll have some time tonight to see what's what

By comparison I have over a hundred hours in games like battlefield3, crysis3, rainbowsix Siege and so on... there's none of the dedicated VR Only games that I could possibly say the same about at this point, so it's only worth getting a HMD imo if you can get access to a proper game that's had VR support added on

I totally get the potential for tracked controllers, I just really can't justify spending an extra nearly £300 on a few 10-30 minute demos... added to that the Rift is more comfortable and easier to use so I'm quite happy to wait for content before spending the extra for tracked controllers

edit; just given vorpx a go on BF3 and Crysis 3 and its doable but having done a load of VR games with proper head tracking its difficult to go back to using mouse and keyboard - its best to keep your head still and use the mouse, less sicky that way

Last edited:
Associate
AlamoX, do you own either yet? Have you spent hours with one? Hover junkers is incredibly grindy, once you get past the initial wow factor it's not something I would spend hours playing, same with Eve:valkyrie on the Rift, they are simply not $50 games

i didnt buy one but i have friends with dk2 and vive we spent some time on, didnt get to try the CV1 yet, but i tried games with gamepad and with controllers, personally i dont see the difference to be as trivial as you do, and the 200$ extra a well worth the added value, which you will end up paying when oculus controllers are released later this year

Soldato
It's not $200 (£140) it's £250 ($375) in the UK. That's a significant price difference for a less comfortable headset with less clear optics to get access to a few demos. As I said, if/when content is available i'll reevaluate, but right now it's a considerable raise in price and drop in quality to get the vive imo.

its not even like you can't walk around with the rift as there are several titles that encourage you to do so and you even have to set it up standing

Last edited:
Associate
It's not $200 (£140) it's £250 ($375) in the UK. That's a significant price difference for a less comfortable headset with less clear optics to get access to a few demos. As I said, if/when content is available i'll reevaluate, but right now it's a considerable raise in price and drop in quality to get the vive imo.

its not even like you can't walk around with the rift as there are several titles that encourage you to do so and you even have to set it up standing

something is wrong with you currency change, because if 200$= 250£, that would make the oculus price at 750£ and the TVA of over 80% :D.
and you are right it's all going to be about software in the end, i just hope all games would work on both headset and no one tries a console like exlusive crap, because it will be so frustrating to have a killer VR app that you cannot use because you bought the wrong HMD

Soldato
Delivery. The Vive delivery costs to the UK are extortionate. The base cost difference is about £180, but when you add on delivery as well it's taking the ****. What the dollar price is in the US is irrelevant to me making a purchasing decision in he UK

In other news, Battlefield 3 via VorpX is a complete mess, but Rainbow Six Siege is awesome. And War Thunder just announced they are hoping to have 1.3 support in he next week or so.

Soldato
OP
Got tracking information for my Vive delivery!

I'll do a similar thread once it arrives! :D

Edit: lawls, it's coming tomorrow! Excite! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
something is wrong with you currency change, because if 200$= 250£, that would make the oculus price at 750£ and the TVA of over 80% :D.
and you are right it's all going to be about software in the end, i just hope all games would work on both headset and no one tries a console like exlusive crap, because it will be so frustrating to have a killer VR app that you cannot use because you bought the wrong HMD

Think you missed his point on that one - he was not doing a dollar conversion of $200 = £250...

Based on the US price, before shipping it is a $200 difference ($599 vs $799)... however here in the UK the price difference is £190 (£499 vs £689) which is a $270 difference.

When you add in the extra shipping price it then adds more - even if you ignore that oculus are giving free shipping for pre-orders now by way of apology for their colossal clusterfudge of a launch, the vive shipping was £57.60 vs the £30 of rift. So assuming you are only ordering now and thus having to pay shipping on the rift, that would bring the total difference to £217.60 or $308 for UK customers. If you are feeling generous towards oculus and include the free shipping that most pre-order customers have got, then thats a £247.60 difference or $351.

Note that I'm not saying that I think the vive is too expensive (although their shipping is insanely over the top), as I think we can expect the touch controllers to be around £100-£150 so with comparable kit the two will be pretty similarly priced if so, oculus perhaps being just slightly cheaper (but hardly a hugely relevant amount).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom