Oculus Rift

Soldato
$300 + $30 delivery

At current rates that's £189.53 + £18.95. On historical rates it would look to be about the same (no more than a £1 or so difference)

Please feedback on what you think of it, when you get it.

Just noticed they have announced a TF2 VR mode to play with. I'm very tempted to get a preview model, but the resolution and technology doesn't seem quite there yet.

Fingers crossed they can utilise 120Hz retina-like displays to crack 1920x1080 as a minimum, on their 2nd iteration.

Associate
Well not sure how much I can really say, but we have one. It's pretty impressive despite the low resolution! Though every one that's tried it in the Unity demo they provide has felt sick afterwards (myself included, though it wasn't as bad on subsequent tries).

There are no actual games that work with it yet, we're putting it into our game at the moment though. :)

If you're worried about the resolution, I wouldn't be...while it is low, it is still very impressive to try! Well worth the price of admission in my opinion as the immersion is fantastic. The only downside might be the slight lack of games available at first (Team Fortress 2 is perhaps not the ideal candidate, I can't imagine playing it online with the Oculus personally...too fast paced). It's such a shame that it's no longer shipping with Doom 3, as that would have been a better demonstration of the tech in an actual game.

Soldato
Surprised no one has mentioned Lawnmower man yet, I'm disappoint.

Does seem a step in the right direction for gaming, but even with the final product all that front heavy weight surely can't be good for your neck.

Associate
Technology looks really good, but not sure If I would like a developers version or wait for the retail product. I remember that a big projector screen that filled my vision giving me motion sickness. TF2 have pushed it. I am after code for TF2 if any of you kickstarters wish to part with yours.

Associate
Really excited about this, wish i'd got one through the kick-starter, Stanith, any pics? :D

Haha, well given that even Notch got a slap on the wrist for posting Oculus dev kit photos we decided against it! Rest assured we'll shouting about the VR patch for our game when the time comes ;)

Associate
This thing is going to be huge in the racing and flight sim market. No more need for bulky triple screen setups or TrackIR. NaturalPoint must be worried.

Associate
This thing is going to be huge in the racing and flight sim market. No more need for bulky triple screen setups or TrackIR. NaturalPoint must be worried.

Agreed :) We're putting it into Strike Suit Zero (space sim/action game), which similarly is popular with triple screen setups.

Soldato
Well that's only true to an extent. If you're reliant on button boxes etc. then being able to actually see them is helpful. With a VR system you have to have muscle memory for all of your control systems and if they involve moving your hands off of pieces of equipment that could be bad

Soldato
Having used TrackIR for years, it's great to see developers at large see the possibilities with ingame head movement independant of body.
But some have introduced it to games which never really needed it to begin with, which is more of a gimmick. But that's inevitable once it becomes mainstream.

For me it would be used a lot in DCS/Flightsims & ARMA, some times when I play BF3 I often try turn my head sometimes as it's almost second nature wanting to look around, it would be nice to see in that title too, or future titles.

Soldato
There is going to have to be some innovation around controllers and providing the motion sickness thing isn't universal or insurmountable, this is going to be huge for gaming.

I am looking forward to my first flight with a Rift and a Buttkicker, it's literally a dream I've had since Elite came out on the BBC B. just hoping the controls don't need to be simplified to the point of stupidity to cater for the mass market - i.e. only game pads. My X52 HOTAS can be used blind for most sims although waiting for 1c/777 to patch in support to il2 stalingrad might be like pulling teeth.

Soldato
If there would be some way of putting say IR tags on pieces of equipment/special gloves on that would be awesome so that a button box can be rendered to be visible in game as it were and seeing your hands reach out to it etc. One immersion breaker in racing games when hands are modelled has always been that your hand always moves away from the wheel before the player model's does because obviously the game doesn't know you're shifting until you actually move the H-gate.

Associate
I like the idea a lot & have used TrackIR for a few years now so know the benifits of head tracking in games (I can't play a flight sim now without it) but I don't really think this is going to take off unless they get some serious developer support, I can see lots of games that are nothing more than tech demos coming out but to truely take off this is going to need a huge must play game to sell it otherwise the novalty will were off pretty quick.
I do see this type of interface being the future of gaming but I'm just not sure that its going to be this one that ushers in that future, I can only hope it is.

Soldato
Iracing, Rfactor 2, Project Cars, Doom, Hawken and TF2 are the big ones at the moment. I think other developers are waiting to see how much it actually takes off before they invest in it but I reckon the global response to it and the response to it at various electronics shows has been so good that they'd be shooting themselves in the foot to not support it. Particularly with racing sims and adventure games like Skyrim when the whole point is immersion, I'll be surprised if it doesn't become industry standard to support it properly.

Soldato
Agreed on suitable games for this - I would think it's more suited to sandbox 3d stuff like Garry's Mod.

I fancy dabbling with the dev kit - for those of you using this with Unity, can you use it with the free version? From what I've read you need the pro license to use plugins - and $1500 seems a lot, just for me to play around.

Soldato
Actually I'm going to amend what I said. I'll be very surprised if Nvidia doesn't buy this just as everybody gets properly hyped about it and then make it run only on Nvidia cards.

Back
Top Bottom