OCZ Vector 256GB vs Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO ?

X3T

X3T

Associate
I would get the OCZ. I believe the Vector was designed around reliability, hence it comes with a 5 year warranty. It's also faster.

The RAPID mode on the Samsung makes zero difference in real world applications from the benchmarks I've seen.

Associate
I would get the OCZ. I believe the Vector was designed around reliability, hence it comes with a 5 year warranty. It's also faster.

The RAPID mode on the Samsung makes zero difference in real world applications from the benchmarks I've seen.

Benchmarks I've seen indicate that the OCZ Vector would offer little or no improvement in real world performance over the Samsung Evo (even without RAPID mode).

Last edited:

X3T

X3T

Associate
Benchmarks I've seen indicate that the OCZ Vector would offer little or no improvement in real world performance over the Samsung Evo (even without RAPID mode).
It's hard to find reviews which include real world benchmarks, but Hardware Heaven have a good selection of tests: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1800/pg7/samsung-840-evo-solid-state-drive-review-file-copy-tests.html

If you look at the large file copy results the 256GB Vector finishes a whole minute ahead of the 250GB Evo.

They also run the same test with RAPID enabled, and I stand corrected that it doesn't make a difference (with file copies anyway), but it's still 30 seconds behind the Vector.

Associate
It's hard to find reviews which include real world benchmarks, but Hardware Heaven have a good selection of tests: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...solid-state-drive-review-file-copy-tests.html

If you look at the large file copy results the 256GB Vector finishes a whole minute ahead of the 250GB Evo.

Impressive.

However, I can't honestly remember the last time I moved multiple GBs of data from one location to another on my SSD. I have just tried though, I`ve moved a 28GB disc image from a folder to the root directory. It took quite a while (nearly 4 minutes). That's the first time that I've noticed that my SSD keeps me waiting.

I suppose that if you are regularly moving large numbers of files or very large files around on your SSD, then it seems the Vector is the obvious choice. I'm not so sure that in normal everyday use that you would notice much of a difference between the Vector and a Samsung Evo.

An OCZ Vector 256GB @ £120 does sound appealing, but I'd have to consider the warranty on offer and the reputation of OCZ.

X3T

X3T

Associate
Impressive.

However, I can't honestly remember the last time I moved multiple GBs of data from one location to another on my SSD. I have just tried though, I`ve moved a 28GB disc image from a folder to the root directory. It took quite a while (nearly 4 minutes). That's the first time that I've noticed that my SSD keeps me waiting.

I suppose that if you are regularly moving large numbers of files or very large files around on your SSD, then it seems the Vector is the obvious choice. I'm not so sure that in normal everyday use that you would notice much of a difference between the Vector and a Samsung Evo.

An OCZ Vector 256GB @ £120 does sound appealing, but I'd have to consider the warranty on offer and the reputation of OCZ.
I agree, for most stuff you wouldn't notice the difference, but if you can get the Vector for £120 that's definitely the one I would go for.

I have had 3 OCZ drives, and never had any problems, which is probably why I can recommend them :D

It's funny that my next SSD is actually going to be an Evo or M500, only because I need a 1TB drive! If only they made a 1TB Vector...

Associate
I agree, for most stuff you wouldn't notice the difference, but if you can get the Vector for £120 that's definitely the one I would go for.

I have had 3 OCZ drives, and never had any problems, which is probably why I can recommend them :D

It's funny that my next SSD is actually going to be an Evo or M500, only because I need a 1TB drive! If only they made a 1TB Vector...

At the full retail price (>£200), I don't think I'd consider the Vector (far too prudent !). At £120, it's got to be worth considering (depending on how much warranty it comes with). I admit that I do tend to go with Samsung, simply because I`ve installed a fair few over the last couple of years, and I`ve not had a problem with any of them. They also offer a nice amount of value for money.

I'm now using a 250GB Evo myself, and it's been fine. I can't say that it's much faster than my 840 non pro, but I am happy with it.

I have only ever experienced OCZ SSDs twice before now. I installed one in a customers PC about 3 years ago (Vertex 2E ?). I then started to read about problems with them, and waited for the call. About twelve months ago the phone did ring, and the fault was that the drive had got corrupted (can't remember the exact problem, but it needed to be erased and Windows reinstalling). We donated the OCZ to another PC and replaced it with a Samsung (might have been a Crucial M4), "just in case". To be fair, the old OCZ is still working happily in the other machine. The other OCZ drive I`ve dealt with is another Vertex 2E. I bought one for my old laptop. It doesn't get a lot of use, but has been OK so far.

Back
Top Bottom