• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour

Belgian-GP-Header.png

Yas Island

When was the track built?

In 2006, plans were announced to develop Yas Island, located just to the east of Abu Dhabi, into a new tourist destination, with a major part of the plans centring around a 5.5km race track. The diggers rolled into what would become the Yas Marina Circuit in May 2007, with the project completed by October 2009.

When was its first Grand Prix?

In 2009. The track debuted as that year’s Formula 1 season finale, with Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel winning from team mate Mark Webber and the already-crowned 2009 champion Jenson Button. Vettel would go on to secure his first title in Abu Dhabi a year later, amid much crying.

What’s the circuit like?

The Hermann Tilke-designed track is dominated by its 1.2km straight between Turns 5 and 6 – which, with slow-speed corners marking its beginning and end, makes it a honeypot for overtaking moves. Other highlights include the tricky run through Turns 10 and 11 into 12, which forces the drivers to brake hard with bags of lateral load still on the car. Track modifications ahead of the 2021 race, shortening the lap slightly to 5.28km, have only added to its excitement.

Why go?

Yas Island was a blank canvas for developers to turn into a tourist attraction, and 11 years and $40 billion later, they’ve nearly finished doing just that. Seven hotels, Ferrari’s indoor theme park, a mall, a water park, a golf course, a beach, a concert arena and a nightclub, all framed by perfect Emirati weather. What more could you want?

Where is the best place to watch?

Assuming you can’t get a room with a trackside view in the spectacular whale-shaped Yas Hotel – or a berth in a boat’s cabin in the marina – opt for a spot in the West Grandstand, a great place to watch all the overtaking action into Turn 6. Or if you’re more there for the atmos, stick yourself in the Main Grandstand overlooking the start-finish straight and enjoy Abu Dhabi’s famed pyrotechnics. It might be worth trying to get a seat high up in whatever grandstand you choose, though, if you’re looking to keep out of the sun.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2023 - Schedule Information & TV Broadcast Times

Screenshot-20230724-173932-Power-Point.jpg

Abu-Dhabi-F2-Schedule.png

Channel 4 Highlights - Broadcast Times

Saturday 25th November - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Qualifying - 19:00
Sunday 26th November - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Race Highlights - 17:30

Weekend Weather Forecast

Screenshot-20230724-173547-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Track Diagram & Information (Yas Marina Circuit)

Screenshot-20230723-182624-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Previous Race Highlights

Drivers Championship

Screenshot-20230723-185650-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Constructors Championship

Screenshot-20230723-185816-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Just a reminder, but consider it a warning - can we not have any further derogatory name calling of drivers, team bosses and the like. We don't expect you to like every driver/team, but at least keep comments respectful.

If you don't follow this warning, you will lose access to the race thread and the thread for the following race as well.

This includes but is not limited to such terms including Lulu, Crashstappen, Karen Horner, Whingey Spice etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Jesus...

2022/2023 more onesided/dominated by the winner than any of Merc's wins in their dominant era.

This year is just ridiculous.
Only because the 2nd driver wasn't up to par. Bottas and Rosberg made up the difference, plus those years where Ferrari put rocket fuel in their cars.

Not to take anything away from Max, it's an incredible accomplishment. Dude puts in the hours and it shows.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Only because the 2nd driver wasn't up to par. Bottas and Rosberg made up the difference, plus those years where Ferrari put rocket fuel in their cars.

Not to take anything away from Max, it's an incredible accomplishment. Dude puts in the hours and it shows.

Yeh. Red Bull really need someone good in that second car. Seems like Perez will be there for 2024 so i reckon it will just be more of the same...:(

Associate
Yeh. Red Bull really need someone good in that second car. Seems like Perez will be there for 2024 so i reckon it will just be more of the same...:(
Unfortunately, yes. Hopefully AM, Ferrari or McLaren come out strong at the start and put pressure on the fact that RB need a stronger 2nd driver.

I could see them subbing in RIC after a couple races if things are looking hairy.

img

img

Associate
When you can be that useless and still be no2 the car is excellent. Put car and driver together hes going to be miles ahead.

Hoping for some excitement but its not a great track unless there are some unknowns really for me.

They only way Max doesn't win is if his car finally breaks.
Will see if McLaren remember to bring their fast or slow car this weekend.

Caporegime
When you can be that useless and still be no2 the car is excellent. Put car and driver together hes going to be miles ahead.

Hoping for some excitement but its not a great track unless there are some unknowns really for me.

They only way Max doesn't win is if his car finally breaks.
Will see if McLaren remember to bring their fast or slow car this weekend.

This really.

Any driver above average would have won. Not to discredit max there. His win margin is exceptional.

Caporegime
This really.

Any driver above average would have won. Not to discredit max there. His win margin is exceptional.

Yeh, there is little doubt that virtually anyone on the grid would likely have won the championship in that car, considering Perez has had an absolute nightmare of a season and still come 2nd. His qualifying has been awful, but as the car is so ridiculously good in the race, it has made it very easy to get back up to a high points paying position.

Max has been an absolute machine though. I doubt many (if any) others would have come close to his dominance/consistancy in winning almost every race, and almost never making a mistake. I think only Lewis or Alonso would likely have had a similar season in that car.

I do want to see Max pushed more though. He's had zero competition this year, so hasnt really been pushed into making any mistakes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeh, there is little doubt that virtually anyone on the grid would likely have won the championship in that car, considering Perez has had an absolute nightmare of a season and still come 2nd. His qualifying has been awful, but as the car is so ridiculously good in the race, it has made it very easy to get back up to a high points paying position.

Max has been an absolute machine though. I doubt many (if any) others would have come close to his dominance/consistancy in winning almost every race, and almost never making a mistake. I think only Lewis or Alonso would likely have had a similar season in that car.

I do want to see Max pushed more though. He's had zero competition this year, so hasnt really been pushed into making any mistakes.

Even alonso has had a few mistakes this season.

As much as we'd all Love to see Lewis and max in same car it'll never happen.

I'd probably put my money on max. But would love to see the mental aspect play out.

Not sure who's strongest there.

Caporegime
Even alonso has had a few mistakes this season.

As much as we'd all Love to see Lewis and max in same car it'll never happen.

I'd probably put my money on max. But would love to see the mental aspect play out.

Not sure who's strongest there.

Yeh, i think Max would likely take it too. I do wonder if Lewis and Alonso are perhaps fading a bit in outright speed from their peak due to their age. However, i'm not 100% sure as 2021 showed that Max's temperement and mistakes under pressure could be his undoing. Lewis was mighty (mentally and performance wise) through the end of the 2021 season, and we all know Max should have lost the title and Lewis should have won the final race to take it. Lewis simply out classed Max at the end of the season, but he does seem to have a flaw in terms of starting seasons slowly so he ends up playing catch up. I'd bet on Max to beat Lewis in qualifying regularly in the same car too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom