Poll: Official 2023 Australian Grand Prix Race Thread - Albert Park, Melbourne - Race 3/23

Rate the Australian race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Those restarts are more dangerous than just following a safety car!

More exciting though! I've no doubt though the teams will be very vocal about changing it back to predictable safety car restarts due to the cost cap. The cost the alpine team just racked up must be eye watering.

Caporegime
More exciting though! I've no doubt though the teams will be very vocal about changing it back to predictable safety car restarts due to the cost cap. The cost the alpine team just racked up must be eye watering.

I'd blame that on their drivers, tbh. Still no word on whether Gasly is missing next race... who's up to replace him? Doohan? Or would they consider putting a better driver in, could DR get a run out?

Soldato
Sky showing Verstappen's onboard during the last red flag standing start restart.

Then read the regulation out, and got the regulation wrong. They were saying that he was touching the line so it was fine, that's not what the regulation states. If any part of the contact patch is outside of the line then Stewards get to kick you in the nads...
Isn't there a sensor tho so should be obvious to stewards?

Soldato
Now I like Sainz, and had said he was on one this race. Feel like he's maybe on something else now...
Blasting it as the most unfair penalty ever... He caused some amount of carnage. Even if they did use the time machine and partially undo the mess, he still did it. Just accept it and move on. The sooner we put the end of this race behind us, the better.

Caporegime
Now I like Sainz, and had said he was on one this race. Feel like he's maybe on something else now...
Blasting it as the most unfair penalty ever... He caused some amount of carnage. Even if they did use the time machine and partially undo the mess, he still did it. Just accept it and move on. The sooner we put the end of this race behind us, the better.

He does need to accept and move on but I also think he was pretty hard done by. I don't think he did anything worse than Alonso (or was it Stroll?) hitting Leclerc on lap 1; it's rare for an incident like that to get punished and, with the way the penalties work, he lost an extraordinary number of positions. Normally a 5s costs you between 0 and 2 places; Sainz sucked up a 7 place loss.

Soldato
Found this a dull GP overall just made a little more interesting by the chaos at the restarts. I always love a red flag or two.

Not sure why people are moaning about a standing restart given it was implemented because it was something fans including people on these boards wanted versus the safety car restarts we used to have.

Love the fact that stewards needed to investigate the FIA's own restart procedure.

Caporegime
Not sure why people are moaning about a standing restart given it was implemented because it was something fans including people on these boards wanted versus the safety car restarts we used to have.

I'm all for more standing starts. But haven't standing starts been standard for red flags since forever, haven't they? Personally, I'd like the idea for standing starts after Safety Cars to be implemented.

Soldato
We could also have a spinning wheel to decide which drivers can have a power boost, and some sections of road that are lightly oiled at random. That'll spice it up...
Maybe even a standing restart at the end of every lap? That'll give the sport the shot of fun that it needs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I'm all for more standing starts. But haven't standing starts been standard for red flags since forever, haven't they? Personally, I'd like the idea for standing starts after Safety Cars to be implemented.

Yeah they certainly have been unless its deemed "unsafe" which is only really generally when we've seen tipping down with rain

Associate
I didn't see a lot this weekend down to the times but each time I did all I saw was drivers going straight on at the first corner, need to put some rumble strips down for them next year and a big flashing sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom