Poll: Official 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix Thread - Hungaroring, Budapest - Round 12

Rate the Hungarian race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour

Hungarian-GP-Header.png

Budapest

When was the track built?

Work began on the Hungaroring in 1985, and the track was race-ready just nine months later. The Hungarian government had originally considered reviving the old Nepliget park circuit in Budapest in a bid to host Formula 1 in the country, but in the end decided to create a purpose-built facility instead.

When was its first Grand Prix?

The year was 1986. Nelson Piquet won the first F1 race around the Hungaroring, famously slithering his Williams around the outside of Ayrton Senna’s Lotus to take the lead.

What’s the circuit like?

The lack of straights at the Hungaroring often sees it compared to a karting circuit – and it’s true, the resemblance is uncanny. With several series of corners to string together, teams opt for Monaco levels of downforce, with a well-sorted chassis tending to be rewarded over horsepower given the short straights on offer. It’s a challenge many of the drivers relish, however, with finding a good rhythm key to setting fast lap times.

Why go?

Hungary in July is usually hot hot hot. The good news if you’re at the track, though, is that there’s a water park close by – the Mogyorodi Aquarena vizi szorakoztatopark – which should be a good place to cool off. Away from aqueous activities, the circuit is only 20km from Budapest, putting you close to one of Europe’s most fascinating, storied and lively city centres.

Where is the best place to watch?

The track is built in a natural bowl, a bit like the UK's Brands Hatch. That means that any of the grandstands located on or around the main straight should provide a view of other parts of the track too, giving you more F1 bang for your, er, forint.

Hungarian Grand Prix 2023 - Schedule Information & TV Broadcast Times

Screenshot-20230722-161652-Power-Point.jpg

Screenshot-20230722-162134-Power-Point.jpg

image.png
[/U]

Channel 4 Highlights - Broadcast Times

Saturday 22nd July - Hungarian GP Qualifying Highlights - 18:45
Sunday 23rd July - Hungarian GP Race Highlights - 18:30

Weekend Weather Forecast (as at 15:00 on 17/07/2023)

image.png

Track Diagram & Information

image.png

Previous Race Highlights

Championship Standings

Drivers Championship

image.png

Constructors Championship

image.png

Just a reminder, but consider it a warning - can we not have any further derogatory name calling of drivers, team bosses and the like. We don't expect you to like every driver/team, but at least keep comments respectful.

If you don't follow this warning, you will lose access to the race thread and the thread for the following race as well.

This includes but is not limited to such terms including Lulu, Crashstappen, Karen Horner, Whingey Spice etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Will be an interesting race to see if McLaren continue their form and if Danny Ric is ahead of Tsunoda at all.

Bit of a gulf in points between Alpine and the bottom 4 teams at the moment, McLaren and Alpine in no-mans-land then Red Bull storming ahead of the other two. They aren't the numbers of a close racing formula yet. McLaren need to keep their socks up and keep moving forward. Albon carrying Williams in the points department too, hope they can find some race pace to be more consistent.

Based on Lando's comments I'm not expecting a McLaren repeat, he seemed to think they would still be poor in slow speed corners

Man of Honour
OP
I wonder how much longer he's realistically got. I'm not expecting a mid-season change but, at some point, Red Bull are going to have to start thinking about his replacement and agreeing contracts with drivers. Especially if, as rumoured, they're planning on going after Norris.

Lets be honest, if Perez has a crap race here and another at Spa next weekend and Ricciardo looks decent - Perez is probably for either the chop or the swap before we come back to Zandvoort in late August.
If not then for 2024.

I don't expect Red Bull to sign a "proper" replacement until 2025 - isn't Lando's contract to the end of 2025?

Man of Honour
OP
Would imagine Checo has the next 2 weekends to save his bacon, needs to get up the front row at least!

Think Danny Ric would need to impress at Alpha before they'd take a chance on him though as no guarantee he'd do any better. Who would you then bring in at Alpha? Lawson I guess...

You would hope Lawson would get it but they seem keen to avoid interfering with his Super Formula season in Japan.
That said there's only two weekends left now, 1 at the end of August and then October, with only the October one clashing with F1 (Mexico)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I'm sure he won't like it but I'd imagine he'd rather be on the grid than not. Honestly I can't see them doing the swap this season, if they were going to do it then they would have done it this weekend. Though unless Checo miraculously turns his season round I think he's out and Danny will be in that seat next season. RB and to extent F1 will need characters like Ricciardo to be driving to keep the audience interested if RB continues to dominate.

I don't think RBR give two stuffs about being popular if they keep winning, and if they think someone blander and more boring (than Ricciardo) is available that would be better than Perez they would hire them.

Man of Honour
OP
Apparent driver contract lengths are listed here, updated with the inclusion of Danny Ricc

Max Verstappen – end 2028

Sergio Perez – end 2024

Lewis Hamilton – end 2023

George Russell – end 2023

Charles Leclerc – end 2024

Carlos Sainz – end 2024

Lando Norris – end 2025

Oscar Piastri – end 2024

Fernando Alonso – end 2024

Lance Stroll – unknown

Pierre Gasly – end 2024

Esteban Ocon – end 2024

Valtteri Bottas – end 2025

Zhou Guanyu – end 2023

Daniel Ricciardo – end 2023

Yuki Tsunoda – end 2023

Alex Albon – end 2023

Logan Sargeant – end 2023

Kevin Magnussen – end 2023

Nico Hulkenberg – end 2024

I remember Norris signing a 'long term contract' with no major details, but this says end of 2025.

Russell's contract is for longer than just to the end of 2023 as well,

Man of Honour
OP
I lost my straw to the Danny Ric 'Kool-Aid' cup when he left RB and joined Alpine. As soon as he left RB he was unable to do those super late lunges he was famous for in the red bull. I think Nico Hulk said something about "once he's in a car like us that can't stop on the spot" or something to that effect and he was true.

Brilliant character but I just don't think he's top tier material.

As you say, great guy but not top, top tier - he's more of a Webber, Coulthard or Barrichello type in my view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom