Poll: Official 2023 Singapore Grand Prix Thread - Marina Bay Street Circuit - Round 16

Rate Singapore out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Perez certainly did, not sure that can be levelled at Verstappen. They couldn't have pitted with the early safety car or they would have been running around on wheel rims at the end of the race.

Yeh, the safety car timing completely blew their strategy.

Just thinking more about Merc strategy, I wonder if they should have only pitted Lewis? Russell was in 2nd and likely would not have been overtaken, so they would have been almost guaranteed 2nd and 3rd. In fact with how fast Lewis was, they could have got 1st and 3rd maybe as George could have helped him DRS wise. Lewis lost time double stacking too so would have been even closer.

I suppose they genuinely thought pitting both gave them a good chance at a 1, 2 though so that's probably why they did it. Tricky call I guess.

img

img

Associate
Super race. Was excellent race. Lawson other than couple bits brilliant driving. Perez usual terrible driving. Russell bottles it again.

Shame about ocon

Caporegime
Can you imagine if Lewis was the leading Merc today? He was 0.3/0.4 a lap quicker than Russell on that last stint (he'd made up basically all the 5 sec gap between them by the time they got to Leclerc), and his tyres seemed to still be in better shape.

He'd have likely won the race easily. Such a shame he bodged qualy.

Last edited:
Don
Yeh, the safety car timing completely blew their strategy.

Just thinking more about Merc strategy, I wonder if they should have only pitted Lewis? Russell was in 2nd and likely would not have been overtaken, so they would have been almost guaranteed 2nd and 3rd. In fact with how fast Lewis was, they could have got 1st and 3rd maybe as George could have helped him DRS wise. Lewis lost time double stacking too so would have been even closer.

I suppose they genuinely thought pitting both gave them a good chance at a 1, 2 though so that's probably why they did it. Tricky call I guess.
On the radio, Russell was heard saying "we do the opposite of whatever Ferrari are doing".

I guess he wanted the win and saw going counter-strategy as the only way to do it.

Caporegime
Great race.
I agree Hamilton could have got the win.
But sainz well deserved, especially how smart he drove at the race.

Can redbull leave please? :D

Thanks to Mercedes for making it a great race!

Shame for Ocon. But doesn't matter as alpine are routed where they are for wcc

Lawson should have a seat next year.
Perez poor as usual.

Driver to go? Sargent and stroll. Although alonso/Aston have been getting worse of late.

One more point.. Ferraridida great strategy here today all the way through.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think Aston's mid season factory move is taking a toll on their mid season development - they were no-where this weekend, totally out developed by McLaren and Mercedes as the season has wore on

Yeh, Ferrari, Merc and McLaren were clearly a lot faster/a good step better than the rest of the field here.

It's great to see just how close those three seem to be in car performance though. Should make the battle for 3rd in the driver's championship and 2nd in the constructors interesting at least (although I guess McLaren have a bit too much catching up to do now, points wise).

Last edited:
Soldato
How did Max escape penalty by the way? Stopping at the end of the live pit lane in quali, crawling around the track at walking pace, not meeting minimum time and then impeding massively and ruining someone's lap (can't remember who).

Man of Honour
OP
How did Max escape penalty by the way? Stopping at the end of the live pit lane in quali, crawling around the track at walking pace, not meeting minimum time and then impeding massively and ruining someone's lap (can't remember who).

He didn't escape penalty - he was reprimanded and Red Bull fined.

The first one (Pit lane) he was reprimanded for, the second one (Tsunoda) Red Bull were fined $5000 for not communicating that Tsunoda was approaching, the final one (Sargeant) the stewards accepted the explanation that any movement left or right could have resulted in a collision are there were cars all around - Sargeant also told the stewards that he didn't believe that Max was at fault and that he could have got passed him.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sargeant also was told to say to the stewards that he didn't believe that Max was at fault and that he could have got passed him.
Fixed that last one for you

Think hamilton is showing his class, sitting 3rd in the championship only 43 points behind a red bull when only really having 3rd or 4th fastest car all season

Man of Honour
OP
Fixed that last one for you

Think hamilton is showing his class, sitting 3rd in the championship only 43 points behind a red bull when only really having 3rd or 4th fastest car all season

Honestly - don't ever edit my stuff again to post utter ********

What possible motive does Sergeant driving for the very Mercedes linked Williams Team have to help out Red Bull?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you imagine if Lewis was the leading Merc today? He was 0.3/0.4 a lap quicker than Russell on that last stint (he'd made up basically all the 5 sec gap between them by the time they got to Leclerc), and his tyres seemed to still be in better shape.

He'd have likely won the race easily. Such a shame he bodged qualy.
He was only faster when Russell was in Sainz and Lando's dirty air. Mercedes should have had a 1-2. However Hamilton fighting Russell helped CarLando keep ahead.

Until that last lap mistake, Russell out-drove Lewis all weekend.

Associate
Except for when he closed down a 5 second gap to Russell in about 5 laps before that you mean?
Such a weird argument - Russell is running a different race and in a completely different situation in terms of clean air.

Sainz managed most of the race. Both Sainz and Norris probably had good pace in clear air so assuming HAM playing his usual bumper cars would have won is a reach.

Soldato
Such a weird argument - Russell is running a different race and in a completely different situation in terms of clean air.

Not weird at all, they were both on fresh tyres, both in clear air, both chasing down Leclerc.... during which time Hamilton closed up to Russell comfortably.

It's utter nonsense to try and claim Hamilton was "only faster when Russell was in Sainz and Lando's dirty air"

Soldato
Russell closed on the leaders at almost 2 seconds a lap until he was within their dirty air as well.

I think either Mercedes would have been leading that race if they didn't compromise each other by racing for position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom