Poll: Official 2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Thread - Corniche Circuit, Jeddah - Round 2

Rate the Jeddah race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Saudi-Header-Custom.jpg

Jeddah

When was the track built?

The Jeddah Corniche Circuit is, you won’t be surprised to hear, a temporary street circuit (albeit adorned with some permanent sections), located on the Corniche – a 30km coastal resort area of the ancient Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah. Designed by the Tilke company, in conjunction with Formula 1’s own Motorsports team – who used Google Earth for their initial investigations into potential layouts – F1’s Ross Brawn said of the track: “What we want to see is a race circuit. We don’t want Mickey Mouse circuits. We don’t want those old classic street circuits with 90 degree turns. We want fast sweeping circuits, circuits which are going to challenge the drivers – and they are going to love it.”

When was its first Grand Prix?

The inaugural Saudi Arabian Grand Prix took place in 2021, the race joining its Middle Eastern counterparts in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi – while like those races, the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix also takes place under floodlights.

What's the circuit like?

Fast. Very fast. Average speeds around the Jeddah Corniche Circuit are around 250km/h – quicker than those at Silverstone, and second on the 2021 calendar only to Monza – aka ‘The Temple of Speed’. It is, quite simply, the fastest street circuit ever seen in Formula 1 – while the track also features the most corners on the calendar with 27, many of them quick, sinuous bends as the drivers wend their way along the Jeddah waterfront.

Schedule Information & TV Broadcast Times (F1 & F2)

Saudi-2023-Full-Schedule.png

Saudi-2023-Full-Schedule.png

Channel 4 Highlights - Broadcast Times

Friday 8th March 2024 - Saudi Arabian GP Qualifying Highlights - 20:30
Saturday 9th March 2024 -Saudi Arabian GP Race Highlights - 21:30

Track Diagram & Information

Saudi-Circuit-Map.png

Weather Forecast

Jeddah-weather.png

Previous Race Highlights

Championship Standings

Saudi-Standings.png

Just a reminder, but consider it a warning - can we not have any further derogatory name calling of drivers, team bosses and the like. We don't expect you to like every driver/team, but at least keep comments respectful.

If you don't follow this warning, you will lose access to the race thread and the thread for the following race as well.

This includes but is not limited to such terms including Lulu, Crashstappen, Karen Horner, Whingey Spice etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't say I enjoy the Saturday race days always have something else to do. Also getting parts to the track is more challenging when you lose a day.

Associate
Well Merc did say, post Bahrain race, that they where about 0.5s down compared to their best due to engine cooling... and well what can go wrong in another hot race in the desert?!?
All Merc engines seemed to be struggling with energy recovery so they could probably fit air conditioning for the engine and it won’t help.

Soldato
Whilst I don't like things changing, with the time difference here, it's pretty great for me that it's on a Saturday. I wasn't able to watch this one last year, as it would have wrecked me for work on Monday.

What is the reason for these races being on a Saturday?

Last edited:
Soldato
Would it not have been better to schedule the calendar better to avoid this? Or are there just so many races, that it's impossible to do?
Sure, I'm benefitting but it just seems weird to mess race times/days up like this.

Soldato
Would it not have been better to schedule the calendar better to avoid this? Or are there just so many races, that it's impossible to do?
Sure, I'm benefitting but it just seems weird to mess race times/days up like this.

It was probably easier to just shuffle a couple of races forward a day than to restructure the calendar - if you move stuff like Bahrain back too far, I expect the potential temperatures start to get ridiculous, then you need to go right to the other end of the calendar etc. and before you know it you've completely reorganised the entire calendar to something that's absolutely nothing like it usually is, team transport logistics etc. all need totally replanning compared to normal etc.

Caporegime
No, we've never done that because it can sway the vote. I did say that I might add an option for the next race that is "I don't want to vote, I just want to see the results".

That would be good.

I certainly don't want to waste 3 hours of my time watching a full race of its like Bahrain or most of last year.

Especially with alpine dead in the water

Soldato
They haven't lost a day - as they moved Bahrain to a Saturday to allow 7 days between races, as it was technically only this race (Saudi) that needed moving due to Ramadan
Well in a way we do due to shift patterns in manufacturing. So with Quali on Friday we lose a day to get bits to the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom