• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official 4870 reviews thread ***

Caporegime
How come these things run so hot with that stock cooler then? It looks like it should do better. Is there a lack of fan speed control or something?

Yeah that and poor thermal paster. Some reviews show a 15C drop after applying AS5 which is poor on ATI tbh.

Plus fans seem to be stuck on 14% until temps hit 100 degrees.

So reseat cooler with AS5 and manually up fan speed and they seem fine.

Or fit aftermarket cooler or water.

Soldato
512bit on GDDR5 would have been a total waste of bandwidth infact you would have been unlikely to ever use that much anyway even at mental resolutions like 2560x1600 with oodles of AA.

If your after an aftermarket cooler though the HR03 GT and Accelero S1 fit perfectly fine on the 4870 and temps are reduced by upto 50%, current temp issues are down to powerplay not yet functioning, it is scheduled for the cat 8.7 drivers though, should see a drastic decrease in idle temps when that is active.

Last edited:
Soldato
What gets me is... looking at these figures, looks like I won't bother upgrading afterall... until Xmas or something... so unless you're buying a new rig... just don't see the point for people like me with a couple of 8800GT's. Don't get me wrong, these new cards from Ati are the business, I mean they're rubbing shoulders with 8800GT Sli, 9800Gx2 and certainly right up there with GTX280's (which are twice as much moneywise), but unless you're still running 1900/2000/3000 series Ati or 6000/7000 or 8600GS or below cards, there's no point in upgrading, you may as well buy a second card UNLESS you haven't got a CF/Sli board which I know a lot don't. For me personally I think I'll wait a bit now... however, from what I see, out of all the cards CURRENTLY available, I'd go 2x4850's if I was building a rig right now and had Crossifre support OR 1x4850 for £130 notes if I wanted a single card option and overclock them to get that extra 10-15% and close to 4870's. Not until we get to silly 2560 x 1600 res's which lets be honest, who here owns a 30" monitor... does it start to shine with the new GPU's

NO HOTLINKING

Associate
Crysis...:rolleyes: people should no better by now what to expect. runs like crap on single runs like crap on double
Quake wars same again crap on single crap on double.

Assasins C had the performance removed for ATI cards.

And you notice that SLI scales bad in the same games.

IMO the better games on that list are also the ones that scale better.

I remember the early days when some of us were saying that Crysis has a very bad engine and we ended up getting flamed up our rear orifice seven times before we could say wtf? :o

Soldato
The more I look at comparisons between 4850 and 4870 crossfire, for those who are going for the dual card setup may as well just go for 4850's and save.

While the single 4870 is a nice boost over the single 4850, when it comes to crossfire the 2x4870 has only a very slight lead.

Am thinking dual 1GB 4850's might be the thing to get.

Associate
I've got one on order which i'll watercool with my Swiftech block :D
We'll see how this 'clocks !
Any idea on how long this card is??

Back
Top Bottom