*** Official Elder Scrolls MMO Thread ***

Permabanned
Is this a point and click macro based MMORPG or is it console hack and slash on a server for thousands to play? If it is the former, no thanks, if it is the latter yes please!

Soldato
OP
Is this a point and click macro based MMORPG or is it console hack and slash on a server for thousands to play? If it is the former, no thanks, if it is the latter yes please!

Its neither, its more like Skyrim with a couple of special move buttons. Or Skyrim + GW2 hybrid.

Health
Stamina
Magika

5 buttons and a 6th for a ultimate.

R is for potions.

95% of the screen is the game, not GUI.

Main attacks and defence are using the left and right mouse buttons. Blocking uses stamina, stamina runs out, you can't block, same with weapon attacks, you can't just swing wildly.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Its neither, its more like Skyrim with a couple of special move buttons. Or Skyrim + GW2 hybrid.

Health
Stamina
Magika

5 buttons and a 6th for a ultimate.

R is for potions.

95% of the screen is the game, not GUI.

Main attacks and defence are using the left and right mouse buttons. Blocking uses stamina, stamina runs out, you can't block, same with weapon attacks, you can't just swing wildly.
OK, OK i'm sold. :D

Soldato
Looking pretty good, just hope its a mmo with solid PVE content and a decent reward system. If its anything like GW2 though, i will probably stay clear of it. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
If its anything like GW2 though, i will probably stay clear of it. :p

Personally I would hope any game follows the GW2 model, throw a more PvE centric element and possibly the "holy trinity" to appeal to the more traditional MMO gamer and you are onto a pile of win (in my opinion).

As I said in the Skyrim thread, the latest dev vid makes the game look far more interesting than info from 3 odd months ago.

Animations still look off though to me however.

Soldato
Sorry but can someone keep this stupid quote handy and flag this up when this game nose dives into the muck along with all the other "wow killers" if I have a sick day I might find all the muppet quotes like this from all the other mmo threads so we can point and laugh at how silly some people really are.

Especially the "it trumps wow for gameplay" quote, it isn't even released!!!!! :rolleyes:

Wow fanboy alert! Looks like the jokes on you.

Associate
Very skeptical about this game, but the video that was released this week made me very excited.

It essentially sounded like GW2 mixed with WoW and when GW2 came out that's exactly what I wanted a new game to be.

I'm still concerned about the combat, Elder Scrolls games have never hooked me, and the combat looks a bit rubbish but I will need to see more / test it myself to make a decision but on first looks I'm quite happy with the game direction.

Associate
This has the potential to be magnificent, or suck badly. Bethesda have always been superb at handcrafting beautiful, content filled worlds. Sometimes, however, their choice of game mechanics fails miserably. My gut feeling is that they should concentrate on perfecting what they did with Skyrim, and keep the Elder Scrolls game single player.

Soldato
I'm presuming they'll still keep working on TES:VI once Fallout 4 is out. That said, I am remarkably excited about this. Unfortunately.

I suspect it might flop, but who knows at the moment, and I'll probably still get overly excited judging by the videos so far.

kd

Soldato
Oh and Newts is a GW2 fanboy if anything ;)

I'm actually an avid lover of Eve over anything else I just cannot approach anywhere near the time commitment required to get the most out of it so I unfortunately dont bother.

But I do love GW2 and PS2 could be a grand ole time too :D

Wow fanboy alert! Looks like the jokes on you.

Firstly I'm not a wow "fanboy" (hate that phrase, stinks of a lack of brains to think up some credible way of dealing with a conflicting viewpoint.

Secondly even if I was a wow fanboy it's still a ridiculous comment to make when the game hasn't even been released yet!

This has the potential to be magnificent, or suck badly. Bethesda have always been superb at handcrafting beautiful, content filled worlds. Sometimes, however, their choice of game mechanics fails miserably. My gut feeling is that they should concentrate on perfecting what they did with Skyrim, and keep the Elder Scrolls game single player.

Only thing is its not Bethesda :(

They have made some interesting updates, it certainly miles farther on than the generic wow clone it looked like on initial announcement. I'm just a great big cynic on any new mmo pre-release (just look at my past posting pre release :p) because they promise the world and tend to fail to deliver.

If this is f2p I would probably give it a try, if it's sub based I'll give it a wide berth until I see pretty much universal praise then I may give it w go :p

I just think between wow and gw2 they offer whatever a player can want (depending on your own preference, mine being toward the gw2 offering) and what I'm looking for from another mmo is to take the next step in the genre not clones.

As I say though the updates look impressive and it's worth keeping an eye on now as opposed to completely ignoring :p

Soldato
Um, how so?. The game isn't even in a beta stage yet (let alone back in July when you made the orignal comment) but it trumps WoW for gameplay? Moronic comment.

Firstly I'm not a wow "fanboy" (hate that phrase, stinks of a lack of brains to think up some credible way of dealing with a conflicting viewpoint).

Secondly even if I was a wow fanboy it's still a ridiculous comment to make when the game hasn't even been released yet!

Wow is an uninvolved game which involves staring at a skillbar, pressing numbers and waiting for cooldowns to end. The only reason GW (which has better gameplay) didn't beat it is because of the amount of overly loyal WOW players, and lack of content on GW part. TESO has been in development for a hell of a long time, it won't have quite as much content but it'll have better lore and gameplay, the only mmos WOW beats are direct clones (Allods, 4Story etc). Anything that brings an involved, direct combat system into an mmo will beat WOW for gameplay. Period. Even Raiderz is considerably better for gameplay, and there are tons of other, much less popular mmos that trump it. Just because WOW has the biggest fanbase does not in any way shape or form make it better than anything. The size of a fanbase quite usually equates to the complete opposite, COD being a fantastic example.

Simply put, if TESO takes any mechanic from the actual TES games, regardless of how obscure or indirect, along with the confirmed combat system, it'll trump WOW. Tons of mmos already have.

Is the person in your sig a man? Genuine question.

Nope.

Soldato
Wow is an uninvolved game which involves staring at a skillbar, pressing numbers and waiting for cooldowns to end. The only reason GW (which has better gameplay) didn't beat it is because of the amount of overly loyal WOW players, and lack of content on GW part. TESO has been in development for a hell of a long time, it won't have quite as much content but it'll have better lore and gameplay, the only mmos WOW beats are direct clones (Allods, 4Story etc). Anything that brings an involved, direct combat system into an mmo will beat WOW for gameplay. Period. Even Raiderz is considerably better for gameplay, and there are tons of other, much less popular mmos that trump it. Just because WOW has the biggest fanbase does not in any way shape or form make it better than anything. The size of a fanbase quite usually equates to the complete opposite, COD being a fantastic example.

Simply put, if TESO takes any mechanic from the actual TES games, regardless of how obscure or indirect, along with the confirmed combat system, it'll trump WOW. Tons of mmos already have.

Nope.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so it's pointless going on about it, but all I'll say is you are basing this all on dev promises. Devs always promise the world and regularly fail to deliver.

As I say looks more interesting than it did so I'll keep an eye open.

Soldato
but all I'll say is you are basing this all on dev promises. Devs always promise the world and regularly fail to deliver.

Exactly. You'd think people would have learned by now, but with every new MMO people get suckered in the same way. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Massive cynicism is the only reasonable approach at this stage ;)

Soldato
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so it's pointless going on about it, but all I'll say is you are basing this all on dev promises. Devs always promise the world and regularly fail to deliver.

As I say looks more interesting than it did so I'll keep an eye open.

I agree, but a game doesn't have to live up to all the promises of a dev to be great. So far it look superb, and to my original statement; it doesn't take a lot to kill WOW at all. Each MP focused genre has one or two behemoths and that'll never change, the only genre that has one which is deserved is fighting. Doesn't have to have more subs and a larger userbase to kill WOW to me.

In my opinion, yeah WOW has amazing lore, but it's so uninvolved that if you love a story that much, and enjoy doing nothing, go play Heavy Rain, or watch a movie. :p

Back
Top Bottom