• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Official Ivybridge Overclock Thread***

Associate
Obviously there are many apparent issues surrounding the ivybridge CPU's and their 'heat issues'. Here you should post your experiences with your chip and your overclocking results.
You should include:
  • Model of CPU
  • Motherboards
  • Cooler
  • Max temperatures (from a reliable program- such as coretemp)
  • Voltage
  • Other settings
  • Stable?
  • Screen shots if you wish

By request- It would also be of interest to include batch numbers and country of manufacture. This may help us determine if we have a difference in manufacture :)

For me right now:
  • 3770K @ 4.0GHz
  • Malaysia, Batch L212B228
  • MSI Z77A-GD65
  • Arctic cooling Freezer 7
  • 1.15V

Only touched at it for 10 minutes. Obviously my cooler is pretty poor so I can't do a lot :(
Will be watercooling later this year so maybe some more then :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Honestly, it really amazes me why people are so upset with the chip and the fact that it doesn't clock quite as well as previous versions. For a first, clock for clock, ivybridge is a fair amount faster. So maybe 200-400Mhz lower on the same cooling. How much does this really affect day to day usage? My guess is very little? People seem to have been expecting miracles. In my mind it is far from a step backwards as people have been suggesting.
I think overclocking is more of a status thing that anything else. Who has the highest clock. Even though it is only a tiny amount faster than the next persons. Baffling :confused:

May spark a debate here......

Associate
OP
Assuming that Asus AI Suite is the windows based application similar to my MSI control center. I would use the BIOS, only because almost all changes you make in windows still require a reboot so BIOS is quicker.

Only clock using the multiplier. You will also need to change the voltage slightly.
The RAM frequency will only change if you change the BCLK. Best to leave this really, and you won't get very far with it.

Back
Top Bottom