• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official Sapphire Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 5850 Extreme Owners Thread**

Associate
Hi,

Just thought I'd start up an official thread for owners of this card but first off, a fantastic service from OC'uk as usual for getting the card shipped and delivered the following day.

My one has arrived and I can gladly report that it runs completely silent and cool.

The other good news is that using the Catalyst Control Centre, it gives you the option of overclocking the core upto 900mhz and the to 1250mhz so may be a sign that this card is a good overclocker but I have tried to OC it yet.

More to come when I get more time to spend with it lol.

MODS, can you please edit the thread title to **Official Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme Owners Thread**

Thanks

Sorry!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Why the weird title? :o

In my haste to post this thread I forgot to double check everything - I only had a bit of time mess around with the card and but just wanted to give the owners the good news that the've just bagged what looks like a really great card. Hopefully once I start to OC it, we'll start seeing what kind of OC'ing potential this card has.

Associate
OP
Well, I've just spent a bit of time overclocking the core and the maximum I can reach is 800mhz which is slightly disappointing because it is only 25mhz short of 100mhz . Tried it at 810mhz and it just crashes.

I have also tried to overvolt the card using MSI Afterburner and Sapphire Trixx but it doesn't look like you can with this card.

Has anyone else fared better with overclocking their card?

Associate
OP
my is perfoming wiredly (5850) cuz i my wei went from 7.3 to 7.2 (from a 4850) i know wei isnt accurate but still and my fps is only slightly better like 4 fps

The 5850 should almost perform twice as fast as your 4850 and the reason why you are not noticing the performance increase may be due to your CPU bottlenecking your new card.

What CPU are you using and is it 4fps+ you are getting with all games in general?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
exact same as mine i really cant be arsed with rmaing the card quite peed off tbh . also i have to pay to return a faulty card great deal that. what makes it worse could have got the card i brought cheaper but stuck with the loyalty of being a ocuk member . in the end its gonna cost more than a brand new one from anywhere else and more hassle

Wouldn't your card be classed a DOA therefore OC'uk would arrange to pick the card up at their expense?

Associate
OP
seems I can only get 800 stable on the core. Can the voltage be modified with RBE with these cards?

Well at least your 800mhz OC is better than my measly 765mhz overclock:confused:

I'm was quite dissapointed with the OC on these new 5850 cards especially when my older Sapphire 5750 managed to OC from 700mhz to 860mhz stable but I guess thats just luck of the draw...

At least the card is short in length, whisper quiet and runs cool.:)

Associate
OP
I ended up returning mine under DSR for a refund because the screen would just go completely green when watching a movie and then the card would disconnect itself leaving the screen completely blank and this was on default core/mem.

The card was running off a Corsair HX 650w PSU so power wasn't the issue and I have never had that happen with my HD 4850 or HD 5750.

Associate
OP
What kind of power supply do you have? If the PSU isn't powerful enough you could run into issues while overclocking GPUs or CPUs; the 5850 needs at least a 500W decent PSU to function properly.

These cards don't overclock well and the most I could overclock my 5850 Extreme when I had it was from 725mhz to a measly 770 stable when gaming.

Also the total power draw of my entire system during full load was just over 200w so you could easily get away with using a decent 350W+ PSU.

Associate
OP
I've got a Corsair 450W, which according to everywhere I've looked at is more than adequate. Corsair state this as suitable for the whole 5800 series. There's no issue there, it's just that going on the reviews these cards aren't great overclockers. Let's hope for a working Trixx... :rolleyes:

Your Corsair 450W is easily powerful enough power a HD 5850 even with the card overclocked!

I was using a Corsair HX650 PSU when the most I could push the 5850 was 770mhz stable during gaming but then starting experiencing problems with the card going green screen on me when watching movies at stock core/mem which never happened on previous cards.

I do think there are quaility control issues with this card based on the amount of problems people have been reporting.

Back
Top Bottom