• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official Sapphire Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 5850 Extreme Owners Thread**

Caporegime
yeah i dont and will not except the same card back. refund or card of my choice of same value. not taking chance as the messing about isnt worth my time and effort.

rmas should be looked at.

Associate
OP
seems I can only get 800 stable on the core. Can the voltage be modified with RBE with these cards?

Well at least your 800mhz OC is better than my measly 765mhz overclock:confused:

I'm was quite dissapointed with the OC on these new 5850 cards especially when my older Sapphire 5750 managed to OC from 700mhz to 860mhz stable but I guess thats just luck of the draw...

At least the card is short in length, whisper quiet and runs cool.:)

Associate
Bought two of these for a new build, still waiting delivery on the other bits (ordered separately from OcUK), so not had a chance to play with mine, but posts here don't fill me with much confidence :(.

Associate
I wish I could offer some crumb of comfort. I am kicking myself for not reading this thread first before ordering, as it is not as if my old 4850 is showing signs of kicking the bucket. I wanted a DX11 card for the latest games, especially Elder Scrolls V. (Ironically my gaming laptop has an ATI Mobility 5850 in and that is fine.) Even the guy at RMA support said there was nothing about the rest of my set up that should be incompatible with the ATI 5850.

Might be a good idea to take these off sale as there seems to be a high failure rate judging by the posts here, which makes me wonder how many others have failed and the hapless would be owners have just not posted here.

Better go and have a look at what other card I want just in case they offer me a replacement, if they insist on replacement I think I should have equivalent OR BETTER.

Soldato
Bought two of these for a new build, still waiting delivery on the other bits (ordered separately from OcUK), so not had a chance to play with mine, but posts here don't fill me with much confidence :(.

Wouldn't worry too much, they have sold a lot people are bound to have some issues, especially with crossfire. Mine works flawlessly :)

Just had a go at clocking it, hits 820/1250 and is quite happy! :D

Associate
A success story dbmzk1, thanks, ... I agree that the amount of bad posts regarding this card in comparison to how many must have sold to now happy campers wouldn't make it fair to pronounce it as a bad card, just, wouldn't it be tops if more of those happy campers level-ed out this thread :), probably all too busy playing games ;). Thinking I might have been better off spending on a 6950 instead of two 5850, ... going to open a thread asking for views on which would be better.

Associate
A success story dbmzk1, thanks, ... I agree that the amount of bad posts regarding this card in comparison to how many must have sold to now happy campers wouldn't make it fair to pronounce it as a bad card, just, wouldn't it be tops if more of those happy campers level-ed out this thread :), probably all too busy playing games ;). Thinking I might have been better off spending on a 6950 instead of two 5850, ... going to open a thread asking for views on which would be better.

Hmm, you won't be saying that if you are one of the unlucky ones who gets a lemon and is going to have to skive off work to wait for DPD to come and collect it. AND possibly pay for the privilege.

It is just as possible that the postings in this thread are a true reflection of the rate of success stories to the failure rate. I am no tech, but I have installed several graphics cards before and this is the only one to have failed from the off.

Associate
Guys - forgive the possible dumb-ass question...

How do we dintinguish between a driver problem and a hardware problem?

I struggled on first hand with this card, and assumed it was a driver problem, thread here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18260935

I'm still having real inconsistencies with the card when gaming.

Over the last few days its played Crisis and BFBC2 ok, then the day after struggled.

Over the last hour I have tried the above 2, FO3 and ME2 - and all games don't last more than a few seconds without freezing, a few jerky movements, a freeze and then the program crashes back to windows.

Sometimes there's an error message about AMD drivers, sometimes not.

I've re-installed drivers about 8 times now - and used driver-sweeper in between also to cover as many angles as poss.

I've only just checked this thread, (assumed it was full of happy campers!) but it seems far from it.

I don't really want to return if I don't have to, but am really not happy with the seeming stability of the card so far.

Associate
So far I have only encountered one problem, my steam version of GTA EFLC won't run any more, it gets to the rockstar social club sign in, then my monitor turns off saying there's no signal received. Everything else works fine, DoW 1+2, Flatout, Mass Effect 1+2 and both Dragon age and the sequal.

I've tried downlaoding the latest CAP profiles and it still doesn't work, I think a re-install is in order, just don't fancy downloading 16 odd gig again.

I should say this card is crossfired with an original Sapphire 5850, and I've tried the game with both crossfire turned on and off.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got to say that I am sorry that some people's cards aren't working, I am very happy with mine!

Only issue I had was with my TV looking fuzzy through HDMI, swapped it on Friday for and old VGA cable and it is crystal clear - odd!

Soldato
Yeah, sorry to hear about some cards not working. Mines running fine at the moment. Only issue I had was Half Life 2 doesn't open anymore? Not sure why, might try reinstalling it! Couldn't believe how quiet and cool this card is compared to my GTX470!

Back
Top Bottom