*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
Which would be better for our kitchen/dinner 4m x 9m. Will be xmas pressie for wife who just wants background music. Have 2 toddlers so will not be loud.

1 x play 5 or 2 x play 1 in stereo?

If its just background music then a Play 5 may be overkill. Probably be better two get 2x Play 1's and have them at both ends of the room.

My kitchen is 6m x 4m and our single play 1 is more than enough. We also use it for background music.

Soldato
OP
Two benefits of the 5 over multiple ones...

1. The 5 has an audio in so you can connect devices directly to it.
2. The 5 has a bass, which gives significantly more low end power than the 1s.

Line in is exactly the sort of thing I was trying to avoid by getting Sonos, so not high on my requirements.

More base doesn't add much for casual listening, especially when 99% of the time it's going to be the radio and background music when friends are over. Don't get me wrong, I'll no doubt appreciate the improvement in sound quality when I finally cave and buy a Play:5 for the living room, but for us I think the "whole house" thing is higher on the priority list.

Which would be better for our kitchen/dinner 4m x 9m. Will be xmas pressie for wife who just wants background music. Have 2 toddlers so will not be loud.

1 x play 5 or 2 x play 1 in stereo?

2xPlay:1 but DON'T use them in "stereo pair" mode - USE them in "group" mode.

Couple of reasons for my suggestion:

1) If you put each Play:1 at opposite ends of the room you'll end up being able to have them quieter while still having the whole room able to hear music. Conversations in the room will be much easier no matter where each person is standing (in my opinion)

2) Having them at opposite ends of the room in stereo pair mode will mean that music that makes use of stereo shifting will result in the possibility of one speaker not even playing some part of the music. If you have them turned down low - from the kitchen you might not even be able to hear the other speaker playing the backup guitar that's only coming out the other speaker.

3) Set them up as separate speakers then "group them". When you go to play music both will play a mono version of the music and in turn will play both left and right channels. When grouped together like this setting one to play music (either or) will result in the other playing the same thing. Additionally using the app to pause, change track or even change volume will effect both (both speakers volume can be controlled individually while grouped as well). You've even still got the added benefit that the "play/pause/stop" button on the top of either speaker will "play/pause/stop" the other speaker while grouped.

Essentially, "grouping" your speakers will function identically to a "stereo pair" but instead of each speaker only playing the left or right channel it will play both channels out of each speaker.

Soldato
OP
Yup you can just install the iOS app on her phone, tune it and forget about it. It's very effective.

+1

If your partner sets up the Sonos app on her phone she'll even be able to see your linked accounts AND link her own.

For example, I've added my Spotify account, and my partners added hers.

We can both see each others Spotify accounts from each of our phones and play form either of our own playlists.

Spotify is maybe a bad example because you can "share" playlists with Spotify, but you get my meaning.

The only thing I can't play that's "hers" specifically is local content from her phone - everything else I can see, if she adds the accounts.

Soldato
I usually buy a sonos each year with my earnings from Topcashback account. Got a "3" last year with a years free Deezer, will do that same this year for the earnings I have in topcashback. So effectively free sonos each year!!

Associate
Line in is exactly the sort of thing I was trying to avoid by getting Sonos, so not high on my requirements.

More base doesn't add much for casual listening, especially when 99% of the time it's going to be the radio and background music when friends are over. Don't get me wrong, I'll no doubt appreciate the improvement in sound quality when I finally cave and buy a Play:5 for the living room, but for us I think the "whole house" thing is higher on the priority list.

2xPlay:1 but DON'T use them in "stereo pair" mode - USE them in "group" mode.

Couple of reasons for my suggestion:

1) If you put each Play:1 at opposite ends of the room you'll end up being able to have them quieter while still having the whole room able to hear music. Conversations in the room will be much easier no matter where each person is standing (in my opinion)

2) Having them at opposite ends of the room in stereo pair mode will mean that music that makes use of stereo shifting will result in the possibility of one speaker not even playing some part of the music. If you have them turned down low - from the kitchen you might not even be able to hear the other speaker playing the backup guitar that's only coming out the other speaker.

3) Set them up as separate speakers then "group them". When you go to play music both will play a mono version of the music and in turn will play both left and right channels. When grouped together like this setting one to play music (either or) will result in the other playing the same thing. Additionally using the app to pause, change track or even change volume will effect both (both speakers volume can be controlled individually while grouped as well). You've even still got the added benefit that the "play/pause/stop" button on the top of either speaker will "play/pause/stop" the other speaker while grouped.

Essentially, "grouping" your speakers will function identically to a "stereo pair" but instead of each speaker only playing the left or right channel it will play both channels out of each speaker.

very useful. I was assuming stereo would sound better but I see what you mean at low volumes.

Soldato
OP
very useful. I was assuming stereo would sound better but I see what you mean at low volumes.

FYI "un-grouping" and turning them into a stero pair will take about 30seconds via the app. Physically picking them up and plugging them in next to one another is probably the longest part of that 30 seconds :)

Soldato
OP
Have they made them work with music store in iTunes Match yet?

It will work with local content on your phone. But no, don't think it will play songs stored online in match (don't use match myself so not 100% up to date on how it works since I tried the free trial at launch.

Soldato
Nice to see so much love for Sonos, I got my two play 1's on Tuesday and I'm so happy with them and my only regret is that I didn't buy them sooner.

I took advantage of a 50% off voucher from work which meant it was a steal!

Does anyone feel that they have to much bass? ive gone into EQ and turned mine down.

Oh and the alarm feature is a nice touch.

Soldato
OP
Anyone notice much difference in performance with the boost vs WiFi alone?

Only bought the PLAY:1 pair and had no problems using just WiFi but if the marketing is anything to go by the Boost does sounds like a nice addition - but only considering I can get one for £20! (would never pay £79 for it)

Advantage of the boost for me would be being able to put it right in the middle of the house (in network cupboard) instead hooking up one of the speakers in the living room to the network (if I even chose to do that!)

Ach, maybe I'm just looking to buy more SONOS for the sake of it... I can't fault it at the moment! :)

Soldato
OP
As a new Sonos owner this isn't something that's obvious, and isn't in the setup documentation, but just won it a ton of girlfriend points... and it is!

You can skip to the next track by double tapping the play/pause button on the device.

(found it by accident but there's a post on their blog about it as well: http://blog.sonos.com/products/the-button-formerly-known-as-mute/)

It's a simple thing, but means when you've got that ONE song that doesn't suit every occasion that rather than whipping out your phone, unlocking it, starting up the Sonos app, sliding up to see the playing track info then clicking "next" - you can just double tap the top button.

Considering we've got the Sonos in easy reach in the dining room we often find ourselves using the hardware buttons to tweak the volume, and this is just the icing on the cake.

+1 to Sonos.

Soldato
What version of the Sonos would you recommend for a ~5mx5m kitchen/diner?

I'm pretty sure a play1 by itself wouldn't be enough, so was thinking of 2xplay1 in stereo, or a play3. I think a play5 will be a bit too much. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Step 1) Buy the play:1 starter pack (2 for £300)

Step 2) Be suitably impressed with its performance to size ratio

Step 3) Put 2nd play:1 in another room

Step 4) enjoy the full benefit that sonos has by having multi room sound

Step 5) get addicted and order a second pair of play:1's like i have

Even if you DONT think a single play:1 (or even a pair) isn't what you're after in your kitchen/dinner you'll have a great pair of speakers for other rooms in the house

Also, just a side note, but a single play:1 is perfect for background music in any single room. I think the only case it would fail is a long, double aspect type room. In which case though, a pair of play:1s at opposite ends of the room works better for background music because they can both be lower volume while still being hear from anywhere in it.

However, if you're looking for a "sit down listen to music" type affair while the play:1 (or a pair in stereo) is still a cracking device (and totally adequate) you might benefit from a play:3/5.

The play:5 reviews so well I might just have to get one. I think the play:3 is due for an upgrade so probably worth holding off on.

So yeah, all in all, grab a pair of play:1s

Last edited:
Soldato
I had my play 3 on for a party on Saturday night - plenty of "omph" in a large open plan kitchen dinner etc.

Couple of Play 1's will be ordered for Christmas for the bedrooms upstairs I think!

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting into the world of Sonos and like the idea of the Sonon 1 bundle.

I would like two speakers, either to have them each end of my living room or to have one in the living room and one in the kitchen.

My questions are:

1. I have no Sonos kit so do I need anything else besides the Sonon 1 Bundle?
2. We stream mostly from Spotify or my own collection on the PC. Do I need any extra kit?
3. Just how good are they? I'm quite picky when it comes to sound..

Associate
I was dragged into the Play:5 beta last month.
They Fedex'd over a Play 1 and a Play 5 from Yankland on some super fast next day shipping.

The kit is good.
Really good.

Zero lag when listening to music on grouped units.
Trueplay is pretty funky, but I did have to buy a mate a curry to come round so I could use his iPhone.

All the media location info is stored on the unit meaning you only have to add the info to one device and it get shared across all units.

Best bit about it all though...?
They let me keep the stuff.
£700 worth of kit in return for completing 2 x 10 mins surveys

Back
Top Bottom