***Official Squad Thread***

Soldato
Can't say I'm enjoying the vehicles on the smaller maps. With the fob cool downs on spawning I was often finding myself at base getting caught out because my SL had just pilled into the first vehicle he could find. Probably something that can be sorted out through comms but frustrating none the less.

Soldato
OP
vXBQ4CzwefWhJ-U_jv0ICQ6PMtvYZF4u--nuY1_s23aw0-KyjcYsxyVwb76AbXfl2M7OmznhCPzhvEF2H90nzPtoLdltIrJ2egJyYpLnoB33Avc7JMn-dVXahg9neWtVZu1nRZiv

July Edition

Introduction
>Things are shaping up!

Welcome back to another update from the Modding Hub community! With so many new community members getting into modding and industry veterans stepping in to create high quality content for Squad one can say that modding for Squad is shaping up nicely. Over the last couple of months we have seen many great projects and a lot of new talents showcasing their work on our Discord server and the official forums. Now it’s time again to recap the last month and see what the community has been up to.

Before we celebrate the awesome content some of you guys have created we’d like to thank each and every community member for their continuous support, whether it be helping out new guys to get started or share experiences with like-minded modders.
Also a huge thanks to the Developers for stepping in and explaining details and giving guidance when it was needed. It is great to see that the community and the Devs are working hand-in-hand to make Squad an even better game than it is now.

Community Projects
>Tutorials

Official Weapon Exporting & Animation
by Chuc

“Hi modders, Chuc here.
In this series of tutorials we'll be exporting weapons and animations from specifically 3DSMAX, and learning how to set up a typical weapon using the current system available in the Squad SDK.

Going into the future as Weapons themselves are given a rewrite, as well as changes to the animation system get launched, the methods and specifically authoring will need to change. But just for now if you are really keen on seeing your weapons perform in-game and using the current system, please follow this guide.”

Chuc, the lead animator at OWI, has been kind enough to create a weapon exporting and animation tutorial which will help you export and set up your weapons correctly within the Squad SDK. It’s highly detailed and full of examples / screenshots! A big thank you to Chuc!

Forum Link:
http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/22572-tutorial-weapon-exporting-animation/

Community Projects
>Total Conversions

Post Scriptum
by Periscope Games

“Post Scriptum is a WW2 modification for the acclaimed tactical shooter SQUAD. Players will relive the events of ‘Operation Market Garden’ across the fields and towns of Holland. This massive Allied assault consisted of a coordination of the British and American Airborne to capture key bridges while the British XXX Corps moved to reinforce them through Highway 69.”
http://postscriptumgame.com/what-is-post-scriptum

I think it’s safe to say that Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh looks amazing. The visual fidelity of the WW2 assets is absolutely astonishing. It’s safe to say that we can expect great things coming from Periscope Games who are known for working on quality games and mods such as Project Reality, Traction Wars, Day of Infamy and Invasion 1944.

There are so many screenshots these guys provide on the website that The Wrench would explode. So please check out their website to keep track of their progress. In the meantime, enjoy this wonderful trailer.

Trailer:

Community Projects
>Blueprints

Arsenal
by Dealman

“This is a little something I've been working on while needing a break from studying. With the release of V7 I was kind of bummed out that we couldn't really try any of the new weapons in the firing range unless we kept changing maps.

So I decided to download the Squad SDK and try and implement a kind of arsenal allowing you to equip any weapon you'd like with ease. The interface is but a placeholder, this is a very early WIP and I'm not very good when it comes to interface design to begin with.

I'll be looking into changing the way it works so instead of having multiple M4 entries, you'd have one for the M4 with its various configurations. Same for example the RPG-7, you'd select RPG-7 and then you can choose either ammo.”

What a great addition by Dealman, I certainly hope the devs look into integrating this feature in someway!

Preview:

Community Projects
>Factions

KLMK Uniforms
by Marv

Marv is bringing back one of the most classic Russian camos known to men. With more content like custom headgear coming, the KLMK camo will be a great alternative to the Digital Flora we have in-game right now.

rgV8N4el.jpg

gzFeFYEl.jpg

wXQDBU8l.jpg

zo2suYml.jpg

Community Projects
>Maps

Al Basrah Remake
by ChanceBrahh

As teased by Chance himself, he has been working to get the beloved Al Basrah map from Project Reality to Squad. It is safe to say that his progress is amazing. The variety of the map allows a multitude of gameplay options. Whether it be firefights in open fields or clearing the main town from bad guys, in Al Basrah there’s something for everyone.

Forum Link:
http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/22225-al-basrah-squad-remake/?page=2#comment-245368

7hwQJvpl.jpg

QXiuLe5l.jpg

LOv1RZNl.jpg

JfKjSirl.jpg

gKT5KLcl.jpg

Normandy Map
by Oakleyhidef

We’ve already seen the great progress Oakley has made over the past couple of months. This time he’s showcasing his new Landscape Materials as well as his new Fog Settings to even create a more immersive environment.

bDQd5Fil.jpg

Island Environment
by Marv

Marv has been working on a Pacific Island map that includes abandoned buildings and planes from World War II.

nwwYH1Hl.jpg

AhZC4KYl.jpg

FNwYmNsl.jpg

BPVHhvMl.jpg

atvE8kIl.jpg

98DIzZ0l.jpg

3-Kings
by EliteLurker

EliteLurker is back to show some more progress on his 3-Kings map. It’s safe to say that his map is shaping up nicely!

yykClZDl.jpg

PCvRHA0l.jpg

Ax6xk9xl.jpg

eQyySt0l.jpg

NuqDYqLl.jpg

1Sr7SBGl.jpg

28k1OArl.jpg

Kunar
by Axton

With Kunar, Axton is really pushing the limits of Mapping. Ranging over 64km2,
or 8km x 8km, Kunar takes scale to a whole new level.

qD9T78fl.jpg

3CGzVZtl.jpg

vlFfse6l.jpg

wZIHbPgl.jpg

Squad Modding
>Getting Started Guide

If you are new and want to get started with modding Squad, you can read the guide below!

To get the official Squad SDK release please view the step-by-step guide down below. Beware that you now don’t need to download any Unreal Engine version before hand because the SDK already includes the current engine version the game is running on.

How do I get involved in the modding community for Squad?

These are the very first steps you will take to join the modding community of Squad!

1. Head over to https://www.unrealengine.com/ and then click the big blue button titled “Get Unreal”.
  2. Register and create your Epic Account.
  3. Download the Epic Games Launcher / Unreal Engine 4.
  4. Download the Squad SDK located in the “Modding” tab on the Epic Games Launcher.

Recommended:

Join us all at the Squad Modding Hub over on Discord: www.discord.me/SquadModdingHub
You will be able to communicate with fellow modders, ask for help, discuss mods, share ideas as well as interact with the developers of Squad itself! However, please don’t view the latter as an opportunity to swamp the developers with game ideas and what they should do with their game etc, this is a relaxed environment and such ideas should be submitted through the proper channels such as the Suggestions section on the official Squad forums!

Notes:

When you first launch the Squad SDK it will take a fair amount of time to initialise / compile all the information in order to run the editor. This typically takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes and has taken even longer in some cases, it varies depending on your system specifications. Please ensure that you are patient and wait it out!

What do I want to do?

As you may have noticed, Squad is a huge game in terms of variation in content ranging from weapons, characters and vehicles to larger scale elements such as environments. All of this content requires knowledge that can span several disciplines as well as proficiency in external software such as 3D modelling packages (Autodesk 3DS Max, Blender, ZBrush etc) and common game art / design guidelines.

There is a lot to do in the Squad SDK and making the decision of where to start can be the most difficult one, especially for a person with lots of ideas in mind. Personally, if you are someone who has no prior experience in modding or has no game development related knowledge at all, I recommend jumping into the editor and messing around with it for an evening or two to settle down and gain an understanding of the UI and navigation. Explore the existing content for a while and once you’re comfortable enough, you can start deciding on what you would like to sink your teeth into!

Ask yourself what you want to create. Chances are, if you’re being realistic, you can bring whatever idea you have to Squad! Do you want to see different weapons, more attachments, whole factions, various maps that can be fictional or fully based on real world locations, a more in depth medical system or even create your own style of emplacements to build?

What do I need to learn?

In this section I will talk about some of the knowledge you should seek to acquire in order to create the quality content you want to see in-game. First off, to keep it really simple, I will split us all into three major disciplines and note down what they should be looking to learn and what additional software they may need. Please keep in mind that you do NOT need to learn everything, especially if you’re working with a team that has members with knowledge of different areas. It would certainly help, but don’t be pressured to learn it all. Not to mention there’s a lot of helpful people ready to guide you in the Squad Modding Hub on Discord!

Artist

Autodesk 3DS Max & Maya, Blender, Pixologic ZBrush, World Machine, Substance Painter & Designer, Quixel SUITE, Photoshop
  • 3D Modeling
  • Texturing (PBR)
  • Animation
  • Lighting
  • Material Editor in Squad SDK (Unreal Engine 4)

Designer / Mapper
Unreal Engine 4, World Machine
  • Level Design Theory / Principles
  • Creating basic landscape materials (Unreal Engine 4)
  • Landscape Tools in Squad SDK (Unreal Engine 4)
  • Foliage Tools in Squad SDK (Unreal Engine 4)

Programmer / Blueprints
Unreal Engine 4, Visual Studio
  • C++
  • Blueprints in Squad SDK (Unreal Engine 4)
  • Experience with other Scripting Languages helps

All of the software, techniques and knowledge listed is available out there on the internet. Unreal Engine has a vast level of official documentation, artists can find lots of creative tutorials on YouTube for free, designers and mappers have a lot of official Squad content to learn from and explore and programmers and people looking to get into anything technical have the same.

That's it for this recap. We hope that you enjoyed the content and will visit the Squad Modding Hub to join in on the fun!
Squad Modding Hub: DISCORD LINK

Best regards,
Zeno - Mitsu - R0tzbua
With the help of Igno, P1nga and Assifuah.

Squad Modding Hub,
Management Team

Soldato
OP
We are now pushing a version 7.2 hotfix release, which contains:

• Fix for physx crashing [The most common crash currently]. Added a workaround in vehicle physics assets for a deeper bug in physx.
  • Fixed a common crash caused by a landscape material issue.
  • Fixed a crash related to vehicle seat code.
  • Allowed sounds shorter than 10 seconds to be loaded async on map load as a fix for some of the stuttering issues players have been seeing.
  • Fixed a number of issues with collision meshes on environment objects.
  • Removed unneeded landscape hole material from Operation First Light.
  • Disabled ribbons in effects for time being to negate a memory leak.
  • Optimized tick rate on effects. (ie not realtime).
  • Removed a few trace messages in the source to reduce some log spam.
  • Made an adjustment to the trace channels and presets used in vehicle collisions to accomodate another vehicle fix.
  • Pushed a simple collision setup for the radiotower, moving it from complex to simple collision, which should stop it from crashing people.
  • Foliage Cvar exploit fixes.
  • Added some ambeint sounds to Yehorivka and Sumari.
  • Updated default unbound binding text to "None" from "QWE".
  • Checked all collision assets for physmat assignment.
  • Added wheel effects on ural.
  • Reduced wheel effects to 4 on all vehicle types.
  • Assigned wreck meshes to "block all".
  • Increase m2 yaw to 30 degrees from 25.

Soldato
Definitely much better now here, still odd stutter here and there but now it's playable. Only tried Fools Road 70 man server so far.

@Xcept1
Am I correct under Statunit if your GPU - matches Frame time then I hold back by my GPU power? and if Frame time and Game Time matches each other then I hold back by the game?

Last edited:
Associate
This game has come along way already since i last played, Had a good few games last night.

Still struggle to spot the enemy mind :D, Yet they see me instantly.

Soldato
OP
Monthly Recap - August 2016

bCL5LGQ.png

Hi Squaddies,

Vroom vroom! We hope you all have been enjoying V7 and the introduction of Vehicles thus far. Like with any new feature we will be going through heaps of iteration, so expect more expanded functionality and features to the system in order to bring vehicles even closer to our vision for them in Squad.

Aside from the release and the subsequent support patches, August has been a month more dedicated to the well-being of the team than development. We had a huge week where more than 20 members of the Offworld family met up in Cologne, Germany, to enjoy some R&R, attend GDC Europe and Gamescom 2016. Now that we're rested from our trip, we're raring to get back into our development chairs!

GDC & Gamescom 2016 After Action Report

The Offworld Industries team travelled to Cologne, Germany, for GDC and Gamescom 2016. The team was met with beautifully warm summer weather, and what it seemed like the entire European gaming community, as the largest gaming event in Europe unfolded.

ZeRCADtl.jpg

Offworld Industries is a team that is completely decentralised with employees spread across over 10 countries, and so weve taken the opportunity to gather (almost!) everybody in one place for a good old friendly face-to-face and unwind over drinks, video games, minigolf and zombie lasertag. It was also the perfect time to have a number of critical team-wide meetings where we can work out issues internally, with the game and our plan going forward not only with Squad but also future projects.

UhQ26zXl.jpg

Our team also attended GDC Europe where we got to sit in on a number of eye-opening talks, in particular by a number of studios that went through the crowdfunding to Early Access route, and in general to get a feel for the state of the industry. Gamescom soon followed where the team got to experience in full force the marketing juggernaut a trade show can be. A number of fans also got to meet some of us in person! (not that hard to spot since we were the only ones with Squad T-Shirts!)

02k4DDd.png

Community Manager Litoralis and Programmer Trancer also got some time to sit in an interview with the German community website BF-Games, of which you can read below.

kzXmbuBl.jpg

WRgNwbal.jpg

C0nbfUgl.jpg

v1BjxYbl.jpg

V0Jv2cvl.jpg

O1nvx8kl.jpg

472SEr1l.jpg

JImPzOVl.jpg

vxXqZUJl.jpg

bCL5LGQ.png

New Apartment Blocks and Urban Environment Development

At the risk of sounding like a property developer.. You're looking at the beginnings of a new set of urban apartment blocks as well as more set dressing material for our mappers to really start carving out a proper Eastern European urban map. Coming soon to a map near you!

wVw538el.jpg

PZOt1wyl.jpg

G8XJjNRl.jpg

6XOJ36Gl.jpg

GQ4yfEZl.jpg

ALMmmV3l.jpg

V813mjSl.jpg

bCL5LGQ.png

Kord Heavy Machine Gun

The Russian counterpart to the M2A1 Browning is ready for implementation into the game in the form of the Kord Heavy Machine Gun. Firing the massive 12.7x108mm round it is capable of destroying unarmored and lightly armored vehicles with ease. Below is the weapon in its tripod configuration.

tuPC1r2l.jpg

hbRkVrjl.jpg

bCL5LGQ.png

M252 81mm Mortar

A few months ago we showed off the M1937 82mm Mortar, and now we are presenting the US Army answer to that in the form of the M252 81mm Mortar. Hot off the modelling pipeline it is ready for implementation along with the M1937 in a future system featuring Mortars. That should keep Terry's head down!

i2FJcLql.jpg

bCL5LGQ.png

US Army Soldier Expansion

Our art team is preparing a few more variants to the US Army soldier models in the form of unique load bearing equipment for the Automatic Rifleman, Marksman (helmet) and Medic, adding more variation to an already detailed faction lineup.

uEjhXKBl.jpg

aR7ksV5l.jpg

bCL5LGQ.png

Modding Update

Our talented modders have been real busy behind the scenes working away at their own total conversions and projects. They have their own version of Monthly Recaps in the form of The Wrench, so please check out the write up and support the work of the next generation!

GLkaKKXl.jpg
KLMK Uniforms by Marv

OLjXyGVl.jpg
Al Basrah Remake by ChanceBrahh

KWq0GGwl.jpg
Al Basrah Remake by ChanceBrahh

hfzOWwtl.jpg
3-Kings by EliteLurker

xAM65yql.jpg
Kunar by Axton

8yy7PI7l.jpg
Kunar by Axton

bCL5LGQ.png

Before we close out, the development team would like to thank all the contributors for their continued work on the Squad Wiki. If you are new to Squad, this is a fast evolving resource to get yourself up to speed on all of Squad's content and gameplay concepts. For those who have been with us through development, we ask that you join in contributing, knowledge is power, power is strength, stronger Squaddies make a stronger Squad. The wiki itself will also be undergoing some design upgrades too, so look forward to that!

As our team members bounce back after a well deserved rest, expect many exciting developments in coming months as we double down on game optimisations and other quality of life improvements for next patch!

Offworld Out.

UUFNDyg.jpg

Soldato
OP
We are now pushing a version 7.3 hotfix release, which contains:
  • Disabled async loading as an attempted fix for loading related crashes, and possibly a number of other crashes & bugs.
  • Added an attempted fix for a crash caused by a specific effect emmiter.
  • Added fixes for materials and material settings on a number of maps to prevent a specific type of crash. [This means a very large download for this patch]
  • Removed an unused analytics plugin as a fix for round start stuttering.
  • Updated the Easy Anticheat SDK.
  • Updated turret bounds to avoid them popping out.
  • Fixed some ambient sounds on Sumari and Kohat.
  • Removed a number of unused materials.
  • Fixed errors with two fence materials.
  • Fixed an improper texture size which was causing a small loading delay.
  • Increased the max data cache size as an improvement for both Squad and Mod developers.
  • Cleaned up unusued references to trace channels without actual properties which were causing log spam.
  • Cleaned up some orphaned break points in Blueprints as a reduction of log spam.

Associate
There's still a few crashes but we're getting closer to being able to reproduce them and get them fixed.

Good work guys. Still hasn't kept me away lol...

Trick is to leave 5 seconds b4 a map change and re-connect to that server. No more fatal errors during a whole game. Just rinse and repeat until all fixed.

Associate
Booted this up yesterday for the first time in a while. Forgot how graphically demanding this game is. Just manage to hold 50 fps on 980Ti and i7 4790K. Love the gameplay tho, just wish I didnt get stuck on servers with 100+ ping all the time :(

Associate
Booted this up yesterday for the first time in a while. Forgot how graphically demanding this game is. Just manage to hold 50 fps on 980Ti and i7 4790K. Love the gameplay tho, just wish I didnt get stuck on servers with 100+ ping all the time :(

Try Mumberlines 72 man (Great server for teamwork) or
Skunkdogs (when it's up) Decent pings on both and smooth

Back
Top Bottom