******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Associate
I have downloaded the full client but I still seem to only have access to the Hangar? No way of choosing any particular 'game mode' or free fly?

Associate
Also glad to hear this isn't a game for joysticks as I have no intention of buying one there a dying breed since the mouse came IMO. Joystick doesn't equal sim its a choice if u want to use one but sims shouldn't need one especially when mice are great for space games.

There shouldnt be any negative aspects to playing with a controller which replicated what would be used in real life, though.
Its like saying a racing sim should be nerfed for people with a wheel, just cos you dont want to go out and buy one. No, thats not the solution, the solution is creating a balance where the wheel isnt nerfed, the KB+M isnt nerfed, and the joypad isnt nerfed.

Thats just an extremely selfish and self-centered view. I own a joystick, but i dont want it to be superior in terms of being at an advantage, i want it to play exactly the same and simply enjoy the immersion of it, of it feeling like its right control method, just like i do with a racing wheel.

Im sure if theres any disadvantage/disparity between the various control methods, they'll dial it all in over time. But being glad that the appropriate controller is nerfed, simply because you dont have one, is pretty pathetic IMO.

Soldato
The cool thing about this is that the whole game is released in modules as extensions of the hanger. So, while the Arena Commander has removed by 350r and Cutlass (replaced by Hornet and 300i) I can get in to the ships and play with them like the hanger as normal until I pick up the helmet on my way past and then if I sit in a ship with the helmet on it becomes the arena commander mode.. I haven't tried sitting in my freelancer with the helmet on though as that ship is still visible in side the hanger...

Soldato
The cool thing about this is that the whole game is released in modules as extensions of the hanger. So, while the Arena Commander has removed by 350r and Cutlass (replaced by Hornet and 300i) I can get in to the ships and play with them like the hanger as normal until I pick up the helmet on my way past and then if I sit in a ship with the helmet on it becomes the arena commander mode.. I haven't tried sitting in my freelancer with the helmet on though as that ship is still visible in side the hanger...

All my ships are still in the hangar (Deluxe) Just further on with the two AC ships (300i and hornet) closest to the entrance. Nothing happens when you sit in your original ships. In addition my 315p and Tracker Hornet have the old interiors and exteriors rather than the reworked AC versions with PBR.

Associate
Had a fly round with this earlier, I think I'm going to wait for v1.2 maybe before I go back to having a go again. Its quite fun for a bit but it is very un-polished as expect for the first release of an alpha module of the game.

Looks pretty though.

Soldato
All my ships are still in the hangar (Deluxe) Just further on with the two AC ships (300i and hornet) closest to the entrance. Nothing happens when you sit in your original ships. In addition my 315p and Tracker Hornet have the old interiors and exteriors rather than the reworked AC versions with PBR.

Ah ok I must not have wandered that far down the deluxe hanger, without the buggy it takes a while. The ships must be in the little alcoves. At least I get to try the hornet and 300i to see the difference.

Soldato
Tried Vanduul Swarm for the first time, reached the end of wave 5 before I was eliminated, scored about 21,000 points.. controls felt a little sluggish at times, could just be me, maybe my hotas, I dunno, time will tell, and hopefully when I can change controls around, things will improve.

Soldato
What ship where you flying? I haven't tried the hornet yet but I'd imagine the sluggishness is from the thruster configuration and power... As weight/power/mass is supposed to be realistically modelled, thruster power will really make a difference.

Associate
After 11hrs of downloading, patching, 'repairing' which did nothing in 20min (twice), and then redownloading something that originally took 2h in a little over 8hrs(!!) I finally got in and as soon as i went into free roam, my ship would spin on 2 axis.

After about 20min i realised the stick & throttle were taking each others roles, which is screwed up to say the least! (throttle = up/down, radial 2 = left/right). I tried x55 xml maps, made no difference.
In the end i unplugged the throttle, i'd been told the throttle didnt work and i needed to use W/S, but not to the extent that if its plugged in, its completely unplayable, so dont. Just that the throttle didnt work and to use those keys. I dont know if this is an issue common to everyone, or just me, but i never saw any posts asking about it (but then theres about 5 pages in the AC area which had posts <1h old - and it wasnt in those).

What bothers me, is the AC thread is useless as it is. There needs to be a 'known issues' sticky with an explanation or link to more info. As it is, its 90% people moaning about stuff, and 2/3s are repeats of the same thread over and over.
Anyway...

I wasted another 10min flying around in swarm being utterly hopeless, getting shot to shii...space and and got bored and flew into an asteroid. On the left monitor i had a screenshot the hotas buttons, and noticed the 'cycle hostiles' so i tried that, bloomin ek, why the hell isnt that the first thing the system does, just lock onto ANY hostile, and then let you *cycle* through them with a button. It made a huge difference, and i was taking them out within no time, compared to before i dont think i'd hit a single ship. When you blow a ship up, it jumps to the next hostile, so why cant it take the same initiative and lock when it first starts up.

Only got half way through wave 5, but considering one of those was me flying into a big rock cos it was horrific, my 2nd death was a head on with a Scythe, and the final death was to another rock, while chasing the tail of 1 of 2 scythes left.
Ran out of secondary fire way too soon, and seemed like the primary fire would never recharge quick enough for me to get any decent hits in.

Didnt like mouse aim though, its nowhere near as nice (read: excessively user friendly) as War Thunder is, but then i didnt think it was particularly easy with a stick either, but then ive never played any game with it before (WT i'd never played before, and the tutorial demands you use the kb+m and after giving in, i never bothered going back to stick) so i dont know if its poor for now, or if its as it should be, but i think it doesnt help that im terrible and never really been good with flight sims etc.

Associate

Yeah, as SS-89 says somewhat, the way CIG have done it, if you own an Aurora LN then because you cant fly that, they've basically put an Aurora MR in the hangar too, so you can get into that and access AC in it.

So that means if you own a variant of one of the AC ships which isnt the base version, then you'll still see your ships, but they'll be pushed down the hangar and you'll see loaner base variants.

What im surprised at is they've given you a 300i, which makes perfect sense, but you've also got a Hornet as well, even though you dont own one and you DO have a ship which gives you access.
It'd been expected that you'd just get *a* loaner if you didnt have one of the available ships, roughly of similar value to what you'd bought.

I just bought a 315, Avenger, and each Hornet on Friday, to go with an LN and a Starfarer (NYA) and my Business hangar was stupidly stretched as it is, now ive got an MR and 300i before them, its crazy.
I really wish they were wider, like the Deluxe hangar, so they were 2 deep, not just 1 row, and also that you spawned into the room in the middle, so you dont have to do a 5km run to get to a ship.
Fortunately those 5 ships will be melted into a Retaliator and something else in the $250 region, so it'll be reduced soon enough hopefully.

Associate
Dear God,

I just happened across this thread and I'm concerned.
The thing is oh big 'G' that the last time I played a space mmo was Eve online, and we both know how that went (8years ).

The thing is big 'G' this time around I promise not to get quite so invested and end up with multiple accounts, spies in most of the big hitters and on top of that FC'ing way too much. Oh and yeah, the piracy..my bad.( you know she was deleted right ?)

Just look at it, it's sublime looking, this Chris guy might just get enough of it right. It's looking promising. So I gave him some cash, not much, just enough.

Anyway, God just wanted to say, give this Chris guy all the help and inspiration he can handle he's clearly doing good works.

Amen

Soldato
Don't take this as hate towards SC. I've invested FAR too much money to bring any hate. But I have to say, compared with Elite:Dangerous I find the AC module to be quite a let down.

Now the thing looks beautiful! and I have to say despite CF not working, the game runs very well too even on a single 290 @ 1440p and very high settings but I've got a few big gripes.

E:D has TrackIR support, extensive and excellent keybinding support for joysticks too. It works with multi GPU and has great graphical and audio customisation options. I know the two games are different but with SC having a larger fund pool, larger development time thus far (as far as i'm aware) and has suffered several extensive delays I think the initial release compared which E:D (Which i believe to be their closest competitor) is quite a large let down.

Both games feel good, but the serious lack of basic options (Controls, visuals, audio, peripheral support) in AC has really set it back when compared side by side.

To add to that, I find the HUD and basic tutorial information to be far superior in E:D.

I know that long term both games will deliver in spades, and both games are only going to get better with time. But i think in this particular instance, as someone who knows nothing about E:D prior to an impulse purchase yesterday, E:D delivers on all the points AC doesnt, and really has done a great job of setting itself ahead in these early stages.

Can't wait to see development and improvement from both though!

Soldato
Don't take this as hate towards SC. I've invested FAR too much money to bring any hate. But I have to say, compared with Elite:Dangerous I find the AC module to be quite a let down.

Now the thing looks beautiful! and I have to say despite CF not working, the game runs very well too even on a single 290 @ 1440p and very high settings but I've got a few big gripes.

E:D has TrackIR support, extensive and excellent keybinding support for joysticks too. It works with multi GPU and has great graphical and audio customisation options. I know the two games are different but with SC having a larger fund pool, larger development time thus far (as far as i'm aware) and has suffered several extensive delays I think the initial release compared which E:D (Which i believe to be their closest competitor) is quite a large let down.

Both games feel good, but the serious lack of basic options (Controls, visuals, audio, peripheral support) in AC has really set it back when compared side by side.

To add to that, I find the HUD and basic tutorial information to be far superior in E:D.

I know that long term both games will deliver in spades, and both games are only going to get better with time. But i think in this particular instance, as someone who knows nothing about E:D prior to an impulse purchase yesterday, E:D delivers on all the points AC doesnt, and really has done a great job of setting itself ahead in these early stages.

Can't wait to see development and improvement from both though!

Although both kickstarters launched around the same time, I believe ED was a lot further on with development (engine had already been fully operational inc procedural gen), so that might explain it. It's a good base and I'm looking forward to the improvement to come over the next few months.

Associate
After 11hrs of downloading, patching, 'repairing' which did nothing in 20min (twice), and then redownloading something that originally took 2h in a little over 8hrs(!!) I finally got in and as soon as i went into free roam, my ship would spin on 2 axis.

After about 20min i realised the stick & throttle were taking each others roles, which is screwed up to say the least! (throttle = up/down, radial 2 = left/right). I tried x55 xml maps, made no difference.
In the end i unplugged the throttle, i'd been told the throttle didnt work and i needed to use W/S, but not to the extent that if its plugged in, its completely unplayable, so dont. Just that the throttle didnt work and to use those keys. I dont know if this is an issue common to everyone, or just me, but i never saw any posts asking about it (but then theres about 5 pages in the AC area which had posts <1h old - and it wasnt in those).

What bothers me, is the AC thread is useless as it is. There needs to be a 'known issues' sticky with an explanation or link to more info. As it is, its 90% people moaning about stuff, and 2/3s are repeats of the same thread over and over.
Anyway...

Fellow X55 owner here your spinning could be Joystick order try removing drivers then swapping USB ports as you want Joystick first in list, dumb I know but that worked for me.

If that dont work Google search removing Axis profiles will be Vid.cfg or something. then recalibrate in windows.

Finally have put a link on Pagan to get X55 working once you followed the setup you got fully working X55

;)

Associate
Star Citizen killed my PC. Maybe. Left AC downloading overnight due to poor d/l speed. Woke up to a BSOD (didn't note the failure message as in a rush for work). Restarted, 'bootmgr missing' mesage and quick look in BIOS reveals no disk drives listed. Oh well, a night of troubleshooting ahead rather than having a spin on AC.

Back
Top Bottom