• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official THIEF-Incorporating AMD™ Mantle™/True Audio™/Bench mark Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I sure hope this isn't gimped on DX and has a in-game bench that we can then compare Mantle to DX properly.

I think the difference will be significant in Mantles favour as it will be a CPU limited game, probably a scenario where we see 100fps vs 120fps :)

Lots of tight closed spaces, I would not be surprised if it bounces off a 200fps frame rate limiter on a high-end 2 card rig.

Good news for people playing through the TV with a lower-end HTPC box though.

Suspended
OP
You can Pre-load now. :)

Best news of the day, VPN job then.:D

I think the difference will be significant in Mantles favour as it will be a CPU limited game, probably a scenario where we see 100fps vs 120fps :)

Lots of tight closed spaces, I would not be surprised if it bounces off a 200fps frame rate limiter on a high-end 2 card rig.

Good news for people playing through the TV with a lower-end HTPC box though.

Interesting to see what Mantle can bring to THIEF(if anything) as a 290X should smash UE3 unless it has had heavy modification a la SD.

Caporegime
Never tried 3D, but always wondered about it. You can't use AA though can you? That's a cause for concern. Hawaii cards are excellent AA performers.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why is not using AA a cause for concern? You haven't used 3D, thus you can't qualify that statement really :p

That said, I've used AA with 3D (Some games via Tridef the AA gets force turned off)
But AA isn't needed with 3D really.

Caporegime
Why is not using AA a cause for concern? You haven't used 3D, thus you can't qualify that statement really :p

That said, I've used AA with 3D (Some games via Tridef the AA gets force turned off)
But AA isn't needed with 3D really.

Well unless running 3d removes all jaggies then its cause for concern for me as i hate jaggies. If indeed there are no jaggies in 3d then ignore me.

Soldato
I think 3D can be ok, but for me it really depends on the type of game. I'm not sure Thief is a game I'd want to play. But if I did I don't think it's one I'd want to play in 3D. Last time I tried anything FPS like in 3D I found aiming very hard. I realise Thief isn't an FPS game, but my understanding is that there will be some aiming required at times.

What's annoying is that you have to go down to 60Hz when playing in 3D. Jaggies can be annoying, but 60Hz and 60fps (if you can achieve that) is something I prefer not going back to.

Associate
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/thief-will-not-launch-with-mantle-support-coming-on-march-via-a-patch/

THIEF will be the second game that will support AMD’s new API, Mantle. And while Nixxes Software and Square Enix claimed that the game would support Mantle from the get-go, EIDOS Montreal’s ‘Valerie Bourdeau’ revealed that this won’t be the case after all.

As Bourdeau said, the development team is busy working on a patch to support AMD’s Mantle and TrueAudio technologies that is scheduled for March.

“We’re confident this patch will ensure the best and fastest THIEF experience for AMD Radeon customers. We’re sorry we couldn’t bring this to you sooner – although we will use this time to bring you the very best experience possible and will let you know when the patch is ready.”

THIEF is currently planned for release this week!

tumblr_meb8evcU021roqzu6o1_400.gif

Soldato
Thanks for the link Evil :)

THIEF is a showcase for the awesome gaming performance offered by the PC and we’ve worked hard with AMD to accomplish that, by collaborating on the implementation of several PC-specific features. This includes AMD TrueAudio technology, AMD CrossFire™ technology, AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology and more. As you know, THIEF will also be one of the first games to ship that takes advantage of AMD’s Mantle graphics API.
We’re extremely proud of the work we’ve done with AMD to make the PC version of THIEF a stand-out, definitive experience although we have a little more work to do to accommodate all of these new PC-specific features - we are busy working on a patch to support AMD’s Mantle and TrueAudio technologies that is scheduled for March. We’re confident this patch will ensure the best and fastest THIEF experience for AMD Radeon™ customers. We’re sorry we couldn’t bring this to you sooner – although we will use this time to bring you the very best experience possible and will let you know when the patch is ready.
We’re happy to say that the AMD CrossFire™ technology and AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology will be fully functional when THIEF launches on the 25th February in North America and 28th February in Europe and other associated territories.

From http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Thief-PC-Requirements?theme=thief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom