*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
It isn't clear in the controller though - they could do with explaining it.

I like the idea that a single controller can controll LAN, WAN and WiFi but I've only got their WiFi kit so it'd be handy if I could disable the other stuff.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

It isn't clear in the controller though - they could do with explaining it.

I like the idea that a single controller can controll LAN, WAN and WiFi but I've only got their WiFi kit so it'd be handy if I could disable the other stuff.
Yeah, that's a fairly frequent request on their forum (about disabling un-needed parts of the UI).

Associate
mine (AC-LR) covers my entire 4 bedroom house with 5ghz, out into the garden. 2.4ghz covers about 4 houses down the street - max's out my fibre on my phone anywhere in the house on 5ghz!:D

Hi, where have you mounted it?

I'm looking to get one but the only place I can really put it is in the downstairs hall ceiling, and I don't know how good the signal will then be upstairs.

Soldato

I'm looking to get one but the only place I can really put it is in the downstairs hall ceiling, and I don't know how good the signal will then be upstairs.

As an expansion to that question - how does the signal "emit" from the device these days?
If you can imagine the Ubiquity device floating in mid air, is there a wireless signal "sent" in all directions. Or, is the device designed to attach to a wall, attach to a ceiling and the signal is "sent" away from the device in one direction?

So, with regards the question above - placing the device on a lower floor will give plenty of signal upstairs. Would placing on an upper floor give good signal downstairs?

*Note - incorrect terms used above I know :)*

Soldato

inside the downstairs cupboard in the hall way. Wife won't allow it "on show" so to speak. Doesn't seem to have any issues being inside the cupboard!:D

Soldato
Ok have switched to 1 & 11. Two other quick questions...

Firstly what about the 5G channels? Currently using 36 and 48.

Secondly, regards the frequency bands, it's defaulting to 20 for 2G and 40 for 5G. Should I leave these alone or change them?

Associate
For the people with 4 or 5 bed large houses where did you put the device? Ground / 1st floor or loft etc? Received an ac pro, range is good but it doesn't quite reach one room in my house. It's currently in ground floor but under a granite work surface which I guess isn't ideal for reception... Need to try it upstairs or get one LR for upstairs (wanted 450mbit 2.4 ghz to save getting an ac wifi card).

I also took the cloud controller, makes sense as its free and they pre stage the setup for you, job done!

Soldato
For the people with 4 or 5 bed large houses where did you put the device? Ground / 1st floor or loft etc? Received an ac pro, range is good but it doesn't quite reach one room in my house. It's currently in ground floor but under a granite work surface which I guess isn't ideal for reception... Need to try it upstairs or get one LR for upstairs (wanted 450mbit 2.4 ghz to save getting an ac wifi card).

I also took the cloud controller, makes sense as its free and they pre stage the setup for you, job done!

mine is inside a cupboard downstairs - seems fine for my whole house

Soldato
I have mine sat on top of a wooden display cabinet in the lounge, pretty central to the house. Gives good coverage throughout and covers a large area of the garden too.
Did have it located on 1st floor, but coverage downstairs wasn't as good - I expect that could have been solved by having it roof mounted so it was "facing downwards".
Because mine is on ground floor it connects into my network via powerline adapters which I appreciate isn't ideal, however so far hasn't caused any issue.

Man of Honour
Certainly tempted to install one of these, wired from the loft down into the upstairs hall - do they all come with the power over ethernet adaptors, or support for them?

Also do you need/want special ethernet cable for poe and is there a limit on the cable run (its <20m at a guess...)

Finally - can you disable the LED ring on it through software or would it have to be electrical tape?

Last edited:
Soldato
They come with PoE injectors but they're passive PoE so you can't use a PoE switch without an additional adapter. If you haven't got a PoE switch then it's not a problem.

No special cables are needed, I'm using whatever cat 5e cables I had knocking about. There's no special requirement for cable length so keep it below 100m and you'll be fine.

Yes, the LEDs can be disabled. When you're in the controller software go to settings (bottom left corner) then site and untick the option to enable status LED.

Don
Certainly tempted to install one of these, wired from the loft down into the upstairs hall - do they all come with the power over ethernet adaptors, or support for them?

Also do you need/want special ethernet cable for poe and is there a limit on the cable run (its <20m at a guess...)

Finally - can you disable the LED ring on it through software or would it have to be electrical tape?

They all come with PoE injectors.

The basic model uses 24V PoE (aka passive PoE). In case you already have a PoE switch, most PoE switches only have full PoE : 48V.

So you need to either use the supplied injector, buy their poe in-line converter (limited to 100Mbps on current model) or buy a Ubiquiti switch that does both 24V and 48V. Most people just use the supplied injector.

The Pro model uses 48V PoE, so you can use it with any PoE switch.

No need for a special cable, just make sure it's got the full 8 wires, not one of those stupid 4 wire ethernet cables that you sometimes get with cheap networking equipment.

Light can be turned off easily in the software. It's more of a glow as it's the reflection of the LED that you actually see.

Back
Top Bottom