*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Another advantage from having a UniFi switch is if you are away from a site it's really easy to reboot devices connected via PoE if they crash from the UniFi app on your mobile. You get the notification that an AP is not responding and can just click the port and reboot in seconds.
Does that happen often? Obviously the more complex the set up, the more likely crashes are likely to happen but I'd personally be very concerned if a network switch or related device was prone to crashing...

Soldato
Another advantage from having a UniFi switch is if you are away from a site it's really easy to reboot devices connected via PoE if they crash from the UniFi app on your mobile. You get the notification that an AP is not responding and can just click the port and reboot in seconds.
Honestly, not a feature I would imagine you using much unless something is horribly wrong, I ran Unifi AP's for something like a decade, if they went down properly and the normal controller reboot option wasn't working, it usually ended in a reset button job rather than a forced reboot. As you don't rush to update firmware, that's not going to be that often. Also in this example of someone calling from home, just asking them to remove the cable from the port marked LOUNGE AP and put it back in would have the same effect. I suppose I could enable Aruba's cloud management, but it's literally never been an issue up till now and I much prefer on-prem now.
Just on these two aswell. I still might go the much cheaper camera route like Eufy etc. However being hard wired makes far more sense. I think as long as i can add in facial recognition and some of the features like that. The main shortfall sounds like it's around integration with Google Home etc without workarounds with Home Assistant etc. Either way it's nice to have as an option at least.

The Ultra seems like a decent switch but too small really, and i'd prefer to avoid having multiple switches, when i could just have a single 24port one.
Understood, depending on the number of cameras etc. you might get away with the 16, but it's only 8 PoE ports and you already are looking at 2-3 AP's, the Standard 24 PoE at least gives you 16 PoE+ ports (90w) and 8 standard ports, if you feel like you'll get the added value from that then far better to spend the extra and have no regrets. I just couldn't reconcile paying that much of a premium for half the PoE capacity on 2/3 of the ports and no 10Gb links, but those aren't your priorities and I get that, and in the end picked up a used version for £90 vs £360ish - the savings paid for a U6 Pro and G4 Doorbell.

Camera wise you have a number of other options from conventional NVR's to software NVR's such as Blue Iris or Frigate + Coral TPU or Unif Protect. Protect is simple and the SE has it built in, but the camera's are the weak link. Hikvision and Dahua make solid built quality cameras that stand up to UK weather and decent sensors that produce very usable low light/dark images in full colour for reasonable money, it doesn't always follow that more megapixels are better, but the bigger sensors do tend to allow for identification/recognition from further away. Unifi produce OK build quality camera's that have a habit of turning yellow and produce reasonable B&W night time visuals as far as the IR will stretch. With other cheaper camera's the spec sheets often don't tell the full story, if it did, we'd all be fitting Reolink camera's because they're cheap and on paper look decent. You can trick Protect into working with third party camera's, but i'd be wary of bodging my security system if it was actually important. Anyway, probably better dealt with in the CCTV thread.

Soldato
Cheers, to be honest my requirements on cameras are pretty minimal aswell. It's mainly pre-cautionary as with living in the middle of nowhere there's a risk of squatters if we're not at home and so need something to ping my phone if it senses movement so i can get the police around as any delays start making things difficult!

I am tempted to avoid the Unifi cameras, but aslong as the NVR works with Dahua/Hikvision i'd be happy, will need to consider the bodge though as like you say it's fairly critical! Trying to make sure i get everything right from the start, so currently at phase 1 of a heck of a lock of research!

Last edited:
Soldato
Got it setup today. Really surprised at how easy it was.

When I had the old Cloud Key and USG it was a hassle setting it up with unadopted devices. Whereas this was an absolute breeze.

Still using the old router for the WAN but will switch to Starlink when we move.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at getting a Dream Machine SE, do ubiquiti ever do any discount codes or am i inevitably going to have to pay full whack?

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at getting a Dream Machine SE, do ubiquiti ever do any discount codes or am i inevitably going to have to pay full whack?
Got mine here £468.

Associate
Does that happen often? Obviously the more complex the set up, the more likely crashes are likely to happen but I'd personally be very concerned if a network switch or related device was prone to crashing...

I've got hundreds of UniFi AP's over numerous sites, generally 1 or 2 AP's a week crash and it's pretty random. The UniFi switches are rock solid never had any issues with them.

Soldato
I've got hundreds of UniFi AP's over numerous sites, generally 1 or 2 AP's a week crash and it's pretty random. The UniFi switches are rock solid never had any issues with them.
Any reasons why they go down?
I wonder if it's possible to have them restart once a week or something at off-peak times.

Soldato

This is not my experience and I’m certain if others were experiencing 0.1%+ of their access points ‘crashing’ there would be huge feedback from the user community. These are currently the best-selling access points in the world and they are used almost everywhere. One big Ubiquiti reference client in Canary Wharf has something like 300 access points in one building and they report 100% uptime in the last 12 months. Literally perfect performance and that’s a mix of AP-AC-LR, AP-AC-HD and newer U6-LR access points.

Soldato
This is not my experience and I’m certain if others were experiencing 0.1%+ of their access points ‘crashing’ there would be huge feedback from the user community. These are currently the best-selling access points in the world and they are used almost everywhere. One big Ubiquiti reference client in Canary Wharf has something like 300 access points in one building and they report 100% uptime in the last 12 months. Literally perfect performance and that’s a mix of AP-AC-LR, AP-AC-HD and newer U6-LR access points.
All but one of ours went down a while back at work come to thing of it, but it turned out it was the edge switch, think we had a power outage and it put all the APs into a strange loop.
One was powered by another brand of switch and that was fine.
Point being it might not be the APs as we first thought.

Associate

Was just responding and noticed one of our Cloud Key G2's had crashed over the weekend, that happens too but is quite rare.

With the AP's you get the ping on your phone AP not responding and when you go into the controller it says failed adoption. Over the past few months it's been mostly the U6-LR, but occasionally different models. Most of the AP's are showing around 4 months+ uptime. We do have loads of different UniFi switches of varying ages and some are the early ones from 2016. I should probably keep a log of the crashes and see if I can figure out a pattern.

Soldato
And in the store (coming soon).

I'll keep my SE!
SE is still better for me with the POE.
Swapping POE for an extra drive bay, 8GB and 300mhz extra on the CPU.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Still winds me up that "Pro Max" isn't the top of the range, and "Ultra" means flexibility rather than balls-to-the-wall specs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom