*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
The 16 Pro Max and 16PM PoE don't look awful, it's at least a step in the right direction. The former with a UDMP SE would be OK for camera use, and the 16PMPoE is probably the first switch Ubiquiti have produced with a spec/price point that makes sense to my usage. If it was a few months back, i'd likely have grabbed one. I just wish the camera's weren't IR, i'm not prepared to pay TiOC/ColorVu money for unexceptional IR, but at least turret's are a thing now as domes were horrible.

Soldato
The 16 Pro Max and 16PM PoE don't look awful, it's at least a step in the right direction. The former with a UDMP SE would be OK for camera use, and the 16PMPoE is probably the first switch Ubiquiti have produced with a spec/price point that makes sense to my usage. If it was a few months back, i'd likely have grabbed one. I just wish the camera's weren't IR, i'm not prepared to pay TiOC/ColorVu money for unexceptional IR, but at least turret's are a thing now as domes were horrible.
Agreed, I'd say the only negatives with it are its a bit light on 2.5g ports. Once you have plugged in a few U7 access points and say a NAS, you are out of 2.5g ports for any 2.5g client devices.

If 4 of the POE+ ports were 2.5g, I'd even go as far as saying its the perfect sub-10g prosumer switch. I know you don't need POE on client devices but a line has to be drawn somewhere on how many switches one actually needs (or has the money for!) and non of the UDM's have 2.5g Ethernet on them either.

Associate
That's a familiar sight, although my G3s are worse. Utterly stupid design, made worse by the fact they're bespoke domes you can't source anywhere. Ubiquiti just tell you to junk the camera and get a new one. Terrible e-waste generating policy.

G5 Turret looks decent, and reviews well. They're also cheaper (and in stock) on the EU store with VAT/shipping paid. Might have to nab a couple. Cheers!

I've used a few old dome cameras as a test for new locations (Hikvision rather than Ubiquiti) and although the dome format isn't great for external use I've never had footage like that no matter what the time of year/weather. I wonder if the lens/shielding/IR position on the Ubiquiti cameras is particularly poor as those images are shocking even for domes.

I've used a few old dome cameras as a test for new locations (Hikvision rather than Ubiquiti) and although the dome format isn't great for external use I've never had footage like that no matter what the time of year/weather. I wonder if the lens/shielding/IR position on the Ubiquiti cameras is particularly poor as those images are shocking even for domes.

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head. A cursory Google reveals loads of people with the same problem across G3/G4 era Domes.

So bad they started including a second spare dome in the box. No lifeline for existing owners though.

Associate
Hi,
A really noob question, as I have nae idea with networking:
I have x3 Ubiquiti AP LRs in use (covering house and gardens), always been used as standalone.
Looking to use them for full functionality, so is a cloudkey the best way forward?
Read somewhere that they will be discontinued soon?
Just want the simplest/easiest option really.

Thanks

Soldato
Potentially a stupid question, but does anyone have a suggestion for cheap POE Injectors? I'm sure my old AC Pro AP's came with them, but not my new U6-IW

I'm about to buy another AP as we've now moved into another rental which is much bigger than the last place. I'm going to move the IW into the lounge area and use it as a mesh device as i can't run a cable to it in this rental (in our house it'll be hard wired), but that means i need to get power to it.

The cheapest i can find is ~€25 but i'm then in the mindset that i might aswell just buy a POE switch given i'll need it eventually anyway as opposed to the injector which would be redundant. At ~€10 i'd probably be more willing.

Soldato
Agreed, I'd say the only negatives with it are its a bit light on 2.5g ports. Once you have plugged in a few U7 access points and say a NAS, you are out of 2.5g ports for any 2.5g client devices.

If 4 of the POE+ ports were 2.5g, I'd even go as far as saying its the perfect sub-10g prosumer switch. I know you don't need POE on client devices but a line has to be drawn somewhere on how many switches one actually needs (or has the money for!) and non of the UDM's have 2.5g Ethernet on them either.
NAS could go on the SFP+ port, you also have the option to do something like a 2 x SFP+ and 4 x 2.5Gb unmanaged Chinese switch off one of the SFP+ ports, doesn't help on the PoE front unless you pay a little extra for the PoE version, but you can still manage the AP's via the UDMP or whatever as normal if you do.

Soldato
Even with the two SFP ports, you’ve only got six >1gb ports of which 4 of them are your only POE++ ports.

Even if you have a UDMP SE, that doesn’t do 2.5g which is needed for max throughput on 6Ghz access points and naturally you’ll probably use one of your SFP ports as an uplink to said UDMP SE.

Sure you could add another cheap unmanaged switch but if your going to do that, you might as well ditch Ubiquiti altogether and not bother.

It’s not a bad product but it’s got compromises which you may run into very quickly, particularly on its high speed capabilities. That compromise is if you want/need POE++ and 2.5g, your going to run out of ports very quickly.

Associate
Potentially a stupid question, but does anyone have a suggestion for cheap POE Injectors? I'm sure my old AC Pro AP's came with them, but not my new U6-IW

I'm about to buy another AP as we've now moved into another rental which is much bigger than the last place. I'm going to move the IW into the lounge area and use it as a mesh device as i can't run a cable to it in this rental (in our house it'll be hard wired), but that means i need to get power to it.

The cheapest i can find is ~€25 but i'm then in the mindset that i might aswell just buy a POE switch given i'll need it eventually anyway as opposed to the injector which would be redundant. At ~€10 i'd probably be more willing.
If you go to the U6 In-Wall page on the Unifi store and select Add-ons it suggests the U-POE-af for €8.88.

Associate
Hi,
A really noob question, as I have nae idea with networking:
I have x3 Ubiquiti AP LRs in use (covering house and gardens), always been used as standalone.
Looking to use them for full functionality, so is a cloudkey the best way forward?
Read somewhere that they will be discontinued soon?
Just want the simplest/easiest option really.

Thanks

They've got the standard G2 cloudkey for around £160 at the rain forest or £30 more for the plus if you want the option to do CCTV etc. The G2 cloudkey is still in production so it doesn't seem that they will be discontinuing them anytime soon.

Man of Honour
Pretty big Protect update (Early Access).

Improvements​

• Added Bulk Download / Archive function from the Dashboard and Timeline.
  • Added quick shortcuts to other cameras over video in the Timeline and pop-up live player.
  • Added an option to select detections based on Area of Interest.
  • Added Recording Manager for simplified camera setting management.
  • Added PTZ Patrol mode for the G4-PTZ.
  • Added an option to display custom animations on Doorbell Pro.
  • Added an option to archive to One Drive.
  • Added a separate section for License Plate Recognitions.
  • Added the ability to select Vehicles of Interest.
  • Added the ability to switch to Enhanced encoding.*
  • Added the ability to downscale camera resolution to 2K or HD.
  • Added an option to disable Timeline scrubbing enhancement.
  • Added an option to get Current Illuminance for night vision custom settings.
  • Added localization for emails and push notifications.
  • Improved Timelapse transcoding to boost the console performance.
  • Improved Dashboard user experience with scrollable default list and updated widgets.
  • Improved date filtering if viewed from a different timezone.
  • Improved file download process and user experience.
  • Improved Face recognition user experience.
  • Improved Detection filtering.
  • Improved streaming resiliency.
  • Updated System Log and Alerts user experience.
  • Updated the bundled Camera FW to 4.71.51.
  • Updated the bundled Viewport FW to version 1.3.144.
  • Updated the bundled Floodlight FW to 1.13.2.
  • Updated the bundled Chime FW to 1.6.3.
* Requires Protect iOS/Android v2.1 for video playback, available in EA soon.

Bugfixes​

• Fixed an issue where unexpected Auto Recovery is triggered.
  • Fixed an issue where view only users weren't able to access Face Recognition and lookup names.
  • Fixed the wrong "Last Event" date for sensors.
  • Fixed "Share Livestream" function disappears after backups restored.
  • Fixed random reconnecting issues for sensors in rare cases.
https://community.ui.com/releases/U...on-4-0-7/e436b6ab-c12a-48e2-b69b-63fe86e7453f

Associate
This is not my experience and I’m certain if others were experiencing 0.1%+ of their access points ‘crashing’ there would be huge feedback from the user community. These are currently the best-selling access points in the world and they are used almost everywhere. One big Ubiquiti reference client in Canary Wharf has something like 300 access points in one building and they report 100% uptime in the last 12 months. Literally perfect performance and that’s a mix of AP-AC-LR, AP-AC-HD and newer U6-LR access points.

We figured out this problem, they were faulty U6-LR AP's. All were U6-LR's that were purchased not long after release and had been in place for a few years. We swapped them out and the problem is gone. Tried beta firmware on the faulty U6-LR's but it didn't help, definitely some sort of hardware fault. They work for a bit and then just lock up.

Man of Honour
Ok, seems to be getting random network issues today - my UDM Pro and 6x U6 Pros are running like dogs. The WiFi is really laggy.

Pinging 10.0.0.1 (the UDM) gets a 75% packet loss - any tips on how to diagnose and fix this?!?
Has there been any firmware update?

Are all the auto channel optimisation settings disabled and mesh disabled?

Soldato
We figured out this problem, they were faulty U6-LR AP's. All were U6-LR's that were purchased not long after release and had been in place for a few years. We swapped them out and the problem is gone. Tried beta firmware on the faulty U6-LR's but it didn't help, definitely some sort of hardware fault. They work for a bit and then just lock up.
I've read a good few reports of similar. They become more erratic with drop outs and lock ups then eventually fail. Some are reporting their warranty replacements are showing similiar symptoms currently.

Back
Top Bottom