Olympics Football *Spoilers*

Caporegime
I couldn't find them on iPlayer :(. Still can't find them even now later on (yes, I was trying when Visionary first mentioned it.

Didn't know about the BBCi service though.

Caporegime
Why are they playing today if the olympic games don't start until tomorrow

Because, shunting 10,000's of people into different area's for the games is a very different prospect than one stadium being full for each day of olympics to watch a majority of the events on site. Football games = police called in for security, public transport heavily loaded and everything needing to be preplanned, you can't just cram them in all on the same day. Plus football is a pretty physical sport, while you could pretty much run say the 100metres in different rounds daily, football needs a couple days between games. IE they need to get started early.

But I really don't see the point, olympic football is rarely high quality, even down to the refereeing. The Brazil game was a complete farce. Kompany sent off because Diego is a pathetic diving idiot and Brazil really not being very good, one incredibly lazy Ronaldinho + a team thats not played together and no real care. Brazil sliding in 2 footed from behind, not even a yellow, Belgium trying to block a clearance, zero contact on the Brazillian player and he gets sent off with a second yellow card. Maybe the worst case of refereeing I've seen in football to date, and the claiming of contact even more pathetic than Rivaldo's clutching his face when the ball was passed over to him to take a corner years back. Just flat out embarassing.

As for Barca, doesn't La Liga start right at the end of the month, way after the Olympics is done, shouldn't a team of Barca's quality/depth not really have trouble with ridiculously poor quality opposition in the Champs league qualifiers, who did they even get? Having to have Messi, for the sake of (checks the internet) playing him against Wisla Krakow, who even Blackburn have beaten, seems a bit over the top.

Caporegime
Potential injuries.

Meh, at this point in the season they'll be playing pre-season games, and mostly for fitness as opposed to tactics/skills training, they're just playing pre-season games with a different squad essentially. As Schneider and countless others(whole west ham squad basically) show you can get injured in preseason friendlies anyway, or was it Rio that hurt his knee stretching for the remote a few years back.

I can understand normal internationals spread throughout the season, even more so when you travel half way around the globe for a single pointless game with a league game 2 days later, but in this case 99% of people involved need pre-season games for match fitness anyway, and unless Barcelona have a late change from Wisla to Arsenal then he's not exactly needed. Even more so for players from spanish/italian league as they both start end of August, they would have a case if their league kicked off in the next couple weeks, but it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom