On a train at 502kph.....wow!

Soldato
Zip said:
Just out of interest, would it be possible to stand up and walk in it while its going? or would u get sucked to the back of the train from the force?
Think about it... you've been on a plane right? That will have been going at 500mph +

Zip

Zip

Soldato
clv101 said:
Think about it... you've been on a plane right? That will have been going at 500mph +

Nah i actully havnt been on a plane :)
I just rememberd science back at school and a lesson we had on this. The person inside the train would be moving at the same speed as the train so they will move with the train and wont get forced back.
The only time you would get sucked back would be on take off and then sucked forward when it slows down fast.

I forgot all about that until then :p

Associate
If it came to a sudden stop, you might get sucked to the front of it face first though. Then you will have technically been killed in the face.[/QUOTE]

lol :D

was anyone wearing seat belts on the train, didnt look like it :p

Q. how long/far does it take to stop from 500kph?

Soldato
pyro said:
Isn't that a maglev train? As in magnetic levitation? So they don't really have tracks pre say, but anyway. Japanese guys use a lot of public transport I remember reading on BBC one day how 3/4 of the country use public transport every day :eek:

Imagine the infrastructure...

Whether they are tracks or not, the point still stands :)

stokefan said:
yea but why are Japan's tracks so much better than ours?

It annoys me how we pioneered rail (didnt we?) and havn't kept on top of it, and now look at the state of the rail services!

Japans tracks are so much better for a variety of reasons.

I'd say because their society is "based" on public transport.
Also because they have had the will and ability to foot the bill.

Yes, you did pioneer rail, but as with many things in science/technology/etc, the first person to come up with something is always surpassed later.

Von Smallhausen said:
It's true that whilst Japan makes extensive use of nuclear technology for power, they do not possess nuclear weapons and seem to have no plans to do so.

Hell no, they'd much rather stay there and make a load of money :D

Soldato
eljaes said:
Q. how long/far does it take to stop from 500kph?

Say it slowed down at 1G deceleration in a emergency - about what a normal road car does. That's 10m/s/s. The train at 500km/h is going at 140m/s so it would take 14 sec at an average speed of 70m/s so it would take 980m...

So 1KM of what would feel like pretty aggressive breaking and need a seatbelt to stay in place. In normal train terms, I expect it would take a few KM to stop from vmax.

Back
Top Bottom