One of my photos used by national newspaper without permission.

Soldato
Soldato
What exactly do you have to do to fully prove it's your image?
Anyone have any experience of that?

For example the picture of the boys covered in paint there... someone owns the copyright to that yet I've seen that pop up all over the internet. I'm sure If I wrote into a newspaper or website, they are going to want to know how I can say that I own it.

Associate
Say if the photo it an edited version, and you have the digital negative (Original unedited version) that would prove you own it. Or if you took more than one shot that day of the same people then you could show you know the people in the photo and get them to confirm that you took the photo. Or prove you know the location the photo was taken.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Do you have any experience or knowledge to back up your shock at my assertion? Where did you get £250... your ass? Sounds like it.

Bit of a know it all ass aren't you? I based the figure on the amount that i people i know have got from having their pictures stolen and printed in national newspapers. But this wasn't printed, it was just used on the site.

Soldato
So actually my point about the T&C's is extremely relevant as anyone could have submitted this to the paper ;)

Whilst true, I suspect it is far more likely they just found the series of pictures online somewhere.

I can't say i'm au fait enough with copyright law to know whether it makes a difference that the picture has become so widespread, whether there is any implied shift to public domain due to it being reproduced so much without challenge from the original owner.

Associate
It may or may not directly affect the copyright position, but what it definitely does do is make it virtually impossible to prove where the paper obtained the image. They could very easily claim that it was submitted by Joe Bloggs in good faith and unless the OP was to pursue via the courts then there is little that can be done to extract the truth from them as they won't be obliged to reveal that information except in a court of law.

Best thing for the OP would be to try sending a simple letter and see what their reaction is. Chances are they'd ignore it, but it has to be worth a go for the sake or writing a letter. Best to mention that you have the original image (digital negative) in the letter to demonstrate ownership of the copyright.

Associate
Don't worry....the only photo's The Daily Mail readers would be interested in is of Princess Diana.

Your photo will have gone totally unnoticed....

Soldato
Seriously, if you think you could get 5 figures compensation for the use of that image out of copyright, when it's available all over the net and has been used in chain e-mails, then dream on. I suggest you become a claims lawyer if you're that good.

I'll say again. With that many copies of the image around, it's very unlikely that they have taken it directly from pbase and have not intentionally broken the copyright. In likelihood, it's gone around as a funny link or chain e-mail and has been printed - and if you go back to the first page and look at the t&cs link given, you're unlikely to have a leg to stand on. It will fall under the 'submission of images and printed in trust' bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seriously, if you think you could get 5 figures compensation for the use of that image out of copyright, when it's available all over the net and has been used in chain e-mails, then dream on. I suggest you become a claims lawyer if you're that good.

When I posted, I didn't realise it was available all over the net, nor that he would have such difficulty claiming ownership.

If it was the opposite, I stand by my words.

Man of Honour
What exactly do you have to do to fully prove it's your image?
Anyone have any experience of that?

For example the picture of the boys covered in paint there... someone owns the copyright to that yet I've seen that pop up all over the internet. I'm sure If I wrote into a newspaper or website, they are going to want to know how I can say that I own it.

If you have the original image out of the camera this is a good start.

With my camera for example I shoot in RAW and the camera embeds my website address into the IPTC tags in the raw file itself incase the camera/memcard gets stolen. Since this area cannot be modified easily it proves you’re the owner.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Looks to me like it's a Polish gumtree. People post up ads. Google chrome kindly offered to translate it for me and I accepted.

Professional CD copying analog (vinyl), VHS video cassettes, VHS-C, Mini-DV, Video8, Hi8, audio cassettes - the digital media CD-DVD. We guarantee a lifetime warranty for the service, and quick processing of orders. Each has a certificate of the finished material - have the quality certificate ISO 90200th We work on Panasonic professional equipment. We work with TVP, execute orders for the IPN, as well as cooperate with public institutions such as theaters, opera houses, concert halls, libraries, etc). We cordially invite individuals, companies and institutions to take advantage of our services .. Our advantages are: competitive price, professional, fast implementation. Tel. 0 514 314 680 at 10 am-18. Digital Dream Studio. Welcome ... Tel. 0 514 314 680.

I'm guessing they came across your photo and just uploaded it to their post. Every image on the site has that watermark if you look around at other posts. If you want to give them a call their number is in the post ;)

Back
Top Bottom