Onedrive alternatives

Associate
Anyone know any good online backup services other than Onedrive? Currently BTCloud which is free with BT Broadband but thinking of changing providers soon so will need something else.

Was considering Onedrive but they are being very difficult to deal with and its a bit expensive for 1TB storage. Up to 500GB is probably all I need.

Soldato
Google Drive = 2TB is the only option really for you and that's £1.99 for 3 months then £7.99 there after which makes OneDrive a bit cheaper (and that includes Office) at £60.

I can't see anything cheaper that I would trust. I've seen Icedrive mentioned on a few sites but never used them - I think that's around £5 for 1TB but I can't recommend it as I've never used it.

M.

Soldato
I'll be honest, I think Onedrive is pretty good value at £7.99 a month, it can also be had cheaper if you pay for a year upfront. As well as the 1TB of storage it gives you access to O365 and the option to share with 5 other friends or family members. Just out of interest what are you finding difficult concerning dealing with Microsoft?

Caporegime
Google Drive = 2TB is the only option really for you and that's £1.99 for 3 months then £7.99 there after which makes OneDrive a bit cheaper (and that includes Office) at £60.

I can't see anything cheaper that I would trust. I've seen Icedrive mentioned on a few sites but never used them - I think that's around £5 for 1TB but I can't recommend it as I've never used it.

M.
Office 365 family subscription is usually under £50 a year on offer and gives you 6x1TB accounts total.

I use multiples 1TB allocations to back up my NAS, it's dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hated Google Drive, it would frequently change the modified dates/times of files and folders (on my machine, not just on the backup) when it did a scan of a folder which destroyed the chronological order I had some of my folders set to.

I switched to OneDrive after that and have had no issues at all, it's worked really well. Only negative is that the Windows client doesn't (or didn't, last time I tried) seem to deal with syncing huge folders well, so I have to have my Music folder synced to OneDrive via my NAS instead.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'll be honest, I think Onedrive is pretty good value at £7.99 a month, it can also be had cheaper if you pay for a year upfront. As well as the 1TB of storage it gives you access to O365 and the option to share with 5 other friends or family members. Just out of interest what are you finding difficult concerning dealing with Microsoft?

I have my main Microsoft email address disabled for logins due to an unusually high amounts of attempts to hack it, I have a second Microsoft email that I use strictly for logging in and nother else to avoid similar situations. A 365 subscription I got for a new PC I was building was not showing my correct storgae limit, just the basic.

Contacted Microsoft and they appear to be simply be refusing to fix the issue or just refund the subsription claiming its on a different account and just pass the 30 day refund period.

Although they have escalled the issue so we will see.

Last edited:
Soldato
Onedrive seems convenient until windows updates and it reconfigures itself and deletes all your stuff.

I've never had OneDrive delete stuff unles I've told it to. It then puts it in a recycle bin as well so it would have to be quite the even where you're using a device that has access to OneDrive then delete it, accept the deletion request then wait the 30 days in recycle box before realising any of this.

As with most people here I think the recommendation would be go with OneDrive.

M.

Associate
If you're mostly storing photos, it's worth noting that amazon give you unlimited photo storage if you have prime. Only 5GB towards video however. It can also be shared with others.

If you're storing lots of other things however - it'd be useless.

Back
Top Bottom