Openreach ONT install questions

Associate
Hi,

Openreach/one of their contractors is due to install FTTP on the 10th of May.

I’ve seen online that the ONT can only be up to 10m from the entry point on a standard install.

Currently our VM router is in the living room - even the closest point is more than 10 metres away from where it would likely enter.

I’ve also heard that in some cases the ONT is installed directly behind the brick where the CSP is - there are no plug sockets there.

Can anyone help to reassure me please - I’m feeling quite anxious. The cable is underground AFAIK if that changes anything.

Soldato
You may need to run long Ethernet to your router, that's what I do, 20 meters of Ethernet, and distance not a problem, I still get 8GB/s up and down

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi,

I’ve seen online that the ONT can only be up to 10m from the entry point on a standard install.

Currently our VM router is in the living room - even the closest point is more than 10 metres away from where it would likely enter.

I’ve also heard that in some cases the ONT is installed directly behind the brick where the CSP is - there are no plug sockets there.

Can anyone help to reassure me please - I’m feeling quite anxious. The cable is underground AFAIK if that changes anything.
They will install it close to a power socket so don't worry there.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reassurance about the power socket

I’m just a little concerned because there’s a reason I can’t just run Ethernet to a router (and even just to get the one point I have planned looks like it’s going to be very expensive currently)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

It's best to ask them.
My sister recently had it installed and asked them to move from one room to the opposite side of the house and they did that no problem. So ask. You never know...
They will have to install it next to a power socket because the ONT requires power.
Just get a few possibilities worked out in your mind, ready for the day they arrive.

Associate
OP
It's best to ask them.
My sister recently had it installed and asked them to move from one room to the opposite side of the house and they did that no problem. So ask. You never know...
They will have to install it next to a power socket because the ONT requires power.
Just get a few possibilities worked out in your mind, ready for the day they arrive.
Pleased to see there’s at least some flexibility in where it is placed.

Unfortunately if there was ever a phone line here, I cannot manage to locate it (I can’t see an old master socket anywhere to figure out where the ducting might be)

Soldato
Pleased to see there’s at least some flexibility in where it is placed.

Unfortunately if there was ever a phone line here, I cannot manage to locate it (I can’t see an old master socket anywhere to figure out where the ducting might be)

My sister didn't have ducting. Hers was a pole in the street. They just ran a new cable to where she wanted.
You are probably more restricted if you have a modern duct.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Fingers crossed it will be fine.

Just noticed that there’s a white cable through the back - so hopefully that’s where my new connection will go in!

Caporegime
Nobody is going to measure 10m and only install it within that radius, they just won't do a standard install where you want the ONT 50m into your mansion through 8 internal walls

Associate
OP
Ugh.

Install is now flagging up as KCI2 Assure on the BT wholesale tracker, rather than 1 stage - I assume this means delays (checking on other providers websites, I’m getting install dates a month out). Not ideal when my current Virgin connection is awful!

Does anyone have experience with a KCI2 assure install and how long it took?

Soldato
Massively variable, depends on engineer availability in the area, other jobs (some repairs take priority). To be fair, Openreach civils team are quite efficient compared to some providers. I would usually say for this stage about 6-8 weeks if you were one of my customers.

Back
Top Bottom