Opinion: Started job but can’t afford to travel to office?

Soldato
Not me! Interested in other opinions on this though.

My girlfriend has recruited someone in London who lives on the south coast. Big corporate office, known brand, with massive global footprint type of thing. The place of work dictates three days a week in the office.

The new employee knew this and was considering moving to London anyway. But after the first week, they’ve now turned round and said they can’t afford the train fare until they get paid in 3 weeks. (They’ve been out of work for a while). So they want to just come in one day a week until then.

As the manager, what would you do? My girlfriend obviously isn’t impressed so far.. It’s incredibly hard to train someone new remotely and there’s lots of things that you need to be in the office (getting computer setup etc, software etc) especially at a big corporate. Even tomorrow, first day of working remotely is going to be tricky - let alone all of next week because of the train strikes.

Beyond asking HR for some kind of advance, is the only option to be completely heartless here? My girlfriend *could* allow it under the radar, but it sets a dangerous precedent (other people that live afar have not been allowed to come in less). And we were half joking that if she did - this new employee could disappear after only doing like 5 days in the office before payday lol :confused:

Thoughts?

Man of Honour
Frankly where I work a lot would depend on the impression of the person - though not everyone has good judgement :s. We would normally advance a weeks pay in a situation like this but always the risk that is the last you hear of them.

I'm kind of on the fence on this as 99 times out of 100 it is poor judgement, priorities and planning on the part of the person for example eating out at McDonald's when they should be keeping the money for essentials, but if someone has been out of work awhile they might genuinely be in a situation where they can't use credit, etc. to cover it and not everyone has parents around, etc. to help them out in a squeeze.

EDIT: Is there anyone else coming in from the same kind of area who could give them a lift and/or from some of the way to reduce the cost of the fare (though it doesn't always work out cheaper like that).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can't they use overdraft or credit card or something like that, seeing as it's only a short term problem that seems ok.
Yeah I thought this.
Frankly where I work a lot would depend on the impression of the person - though not everyone has good judgement :s.
Yeah. I’m not sure she’s getting a great vibe from her at the moment - but we’re not sure she ever had a proper job before Covid so it might be young persons mentality about working remotely - rather than a completely bad attitude. But my girlfriend was 100% clear on having to be in the office.

Soldato
We hired a new colleague in our team at the start of COVID. I don't believe it's incredibly hard to train someone new unless they have no experience whatsoever. We managed to onboard them and get them started with work within the next few weeks and only ever saw them when we returned to the office 18 months later I believe. It kinda all depends on how much your GF needs a new hire in her team. She'd most likely have to cover that work if they aren't there wouldn't she? Makes sense to try and keep them, or go back to doing interviews and trying for another person.

Man of Honour
Yeah. I’m not sure she’s getting a great vibe from her at the moment - but we’re not sure she ever had a proper job before Covid so it might be young persons mentality about working remotely - rather than a completely bad attitude. But my girlfriend was 100% clear on having to be in the office.

We get a lot of young people these days who think work is like the movies for a better way to put it, it can be quite a shock for some that they actually have to do some work to keep their job - with varying results - some turn out to be quite good once they've settled in, others are a waste of space and forever taking time off sick, etc. :(

Soldato
Tricky one really as you don't know yet if they'll be any good, although they're setting bad first impressions.

I'd probably put it a bit bluntly like "you understood what the expectation was regarding in-office time when you accepted the role, if that's something you can no longer commit to then you need to consider whether this role is right for you". I'm sure if you dropped the hint about them losing the job you know they'll be back in the following day.

Sgarrista
Commissario
If they really are that short on cash I am pretty sure the jobcenter has a system to help people into the first weeks of work in such a situation (eg they will pay for the rail costs etc).

But did GF have a say in the hiring process? There must have been something that clicked to offer the person the job.

Alternatively cant the business use petty cash to cover the cost of her travel each day until payday and then deduct accordingly. (eg she covers day 1, then submits the ticket and receipt to get the money back).

Last edited:
Soldato
Could easily be a case of real financial hardship, especially when they've been out of work for a while. What percentage of their income are those train tickets going to be costing ? The offer of one day a week for the rest of the first month does seem like an attempt to mitigate the problem. Your other half would likely get a better picture once the new employee has had a salary paid in.

I'd suggest let it slide for the first month and see what happens later on once she's been paid. Finding a replacement is going to take a while anyway.

Being in a position where you can't afford to get to work isn't a nice place to be. Borrowing money via overdrafts / credit cards also makes the problem worse with the interest rates typically being charged.

Soldato
We get a lot of young people these days who think work is like the movies for a better way to put it, it can be quite a shock for some that they actually have to do some work to keep their job
Oh yeah, we get new starters who complain that they didn't think they'd be walking so much and then quit after a day or two. They've applied for, gone through induction and have started a job as a porter in one of the country's largest and busiest hospitals so what did they think they'd be doing, sitting down watching automated beds wheel themselves around the place whilst robots moved everything else?

Soldato
My personal opinion is that the company should “float” them some cash to cover the train fare for the first month.

The south coast commutes into London are hellishly expensive, season tickets are what -£4000-5000 from somewhere like Brighton…

They’re probably experiencing some financial hardship, so I’d be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the first month, especially considering I’d just spent resource cycles hiring them.

Associate
What's the issue here? Just pay their ticket? Hardly going to break the bank and it smooths things over..

If they are a chancer who gives a ****, you'll have spent 20x more in hiring process anyway. If they're legit you get to build up loyalty for almost nothing.

This is a non question, you're dealing with a human being here show a bit of trust and compassion. This is why people fall into poverty and homelessness because they don't get that chance to fix things.

Soldato
If they are a chancer who gives a ****, you'll have spent 20x more in hiring process anyway. If they're legit you get to build up loyalty for almost nothing.

100%.

When you count up the cycles that likely went into hiring this person, and they've legit said they can't afford to pay the (mega expensive train fare) until next month, and you just fire them at the drop of a hat.... It's not only harsh - but you're going to have to go through the hiring process all over again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
100%.

When you count up the cycles that likely went into hiring this person, and they've legit said they can't afford to pay the (mega expensive train fare) until next month, and you just fire them at the drop of a hat.... It's not only harsh - but you're going to have to go through the hiring process all over again.
This normally signals future behaviours. Better to bite the bullet and get rid.

Soldato

If someone (a new starter) has said they can't physically afford the commute for the first month until they get paid, it might be more a reality for them, than a behaviour.

I get what you're saying - but I personally would try to help them out for that first month, dumping them right off the bat is a bit cutthroat in my opinion.

Especially when you consider they've told the employer about the problem, and the fact they'd been out of work for a while - I think it's only fair to allow a bit of leeway here.

I know that commute and that neck of the woods, lots of people do struggle with commute costs - it's insanely expensive.

Associate
So why take a job if you know you cannot afford the travel costs to said job without putting it on a credit card? May I add, like a normal human being to get things done, make an impression and get yourself in a better position.

Unfortunately this employee has now showed the company that she will not take the initiative to get things done and instead will wish to pass the buck to management when it has nothing to do with the company.

Associate

Hard to say without more information. With the limited information that we do have its a person who made it through selection process and who has been honest enough to be upfront about a very personal issue. On that basis I would give benefit of doubt. They're on probation so if any patterns emerge then fine.

But really, someone doesn't have enough money to go to work? That person must be close to falling through the cracks entirely. For pin money I would take a chance on most people.

Back
Top Bottom