Opinions on HP ProLiant ML115 G5

Associate
OP
The server arrived this morning.

Its actually very quiet after you get past the POST screen. Imagine the sound of 2 92mm Delta's spinning up... :eek:

Just installed Windows 2003 Server R2 and patched it. To say I am surprised by the amount of hardware for the money is an understatement.

There are even overclocking options in the BIOS should you feel the need for more power though I wont be touching them, stability is the first priority.

VeNT, I did eye up the Xeon spec but I felt it wasn't really worth the extra £120sh? more. The Opteron seems more than capable of handling whatever I throw at it. Plus the motherboard has support for both SATA and SAS drives.

It came shipped with a SATA LightScribe DVD-RW, Keyboard and Mouse and the latest BIOS on a CD.

Last edited:
Soldato
can't be arsed got no use for the insight board anyway. More concerned that I get mem errors with 8GB of non-ecc installed, no matter what I switch the slots or stick into. Might send the memory back and get proper ecc stuff. Or do I just run with 6GB...

Associate
OP
There is no BIOS option to change memory voltage so J1nxy might just have got unlucky.

I called HP UK and asked about the Remote Management Card offer. Even though I bought the system a day before the offer was introduced, they are shipping me the card anyway. Result!

Soldato
You've miss understood what I mean, regardless of which of the 4 sticks I use and which slot it will not post with 4 slots populated. Eg slot 1-3 populated, posts, slots 1,2,4 posts, slot 1-4 populated won't. Stick 1,2,3 use posts, 1,2,4 posts, 2,3,4 posts etc etc

It looks like to use 8GB of none ECC is a none starter. So returning the memory and getting ECC stuff as it cost me about 15 more.

Soldato
There is no BIOS option to change memory voltage so J1nxy might just have got unlucky.

I called HP UK and asked about the Remote Management Card offer. Even though I bought the system a day before the offer was introduced, they are shipping me the card anyway. Result!

Can you chuck me a mail with the number you called and I'll ring them.

Associate
OP
You've miss understood what I mean, regardless of which of the 4 sticks I use and which slot it will not post with 4 slots populated. Eg slot 1-3 populated, posts, slots 1,2,4 posts, slot 1-4 populated won't. Stick 1,2,3 use posts, 1,2,4 posts, 2,3,4 posts etc etc

It looks like to use 8GB of none ECC is a none starter. So returning the memory and getting ECC stuff as it cost me about 15 more.

Ah right. Had a quick google but cant see anything about the system not posting with all 4 slots.

How much did the 8GB cost you?

EDIT Email sent

Soldato
8Gb cost me £67 per kit thats for DDR2 6400 ECC

I looked last night couldn't find anybody running 4x2GB of normal PC6400 non-ECC DDR2. I should get the new memory tomorrow or the start of next week so will see what happens, non-ecc is not listed as compliant.

Associate
OP
Aye thats what I thought hence why I bought the ECC RAM from the start.

Thats incredibly cheap considering I paid £166 for 4GB from Crucial :\

Soldato
If you can send it back let me know and I'll point you at the place I got mine coming from.

Not surprised to be honest that all 8GB don't work but thought I might as well give it a bash...beep memory errors tend to point to something not being happy...

Back
Top Bottom