Opinions on HP ProLiant ML115 G5

Associate
The only quad Core model I can see is the Top Value model which is part code 480570-035. Which as brendy says, is probably going to work out cheaper than trying to upgrade your original server.

EDIT: just read your q again. I missed the fact that you said G1. No, they were only Dual Core with no option for QC.

Soldato
The only quad Core model I can see is the Top Value model which is part code 480570-035. Which as brendy says, is probably going to work out cheaper than trying to upgrade your original server.

EDIT: just read your q again. I missed the fact that you said G1. No, they were only Dual Core with no option for QC.

Yup and its an opteron which totally makes it time to buy a new g5 new gen model. Im surprised HP have upped the prices of their current g5 models though as the 99 quid plus vat for a mini server was great value especially with a pci-ex for getter graphics, a couple of lads in the office bought them for home pc's.

Associate
They went back up simply because the prices were unsustainable. Think about it, you were getting a fully equipped server pretty much for the price of a single component. When you add in the fact that for a while you could get the ILO add on FOC as a rebate it was a ridiculously good deal.

Soldato
I understand ok fella, it was the increase, all they needed to do was whip out the hdd and not offer any freebies or incentives and they still would walk off the shelves themselves.
We use a fair amount of them in small sites with sbs 2003, they are perfect for it with two 500gb spinpoint f1's and 4 gb ram.

Associate
Just stumbled across this thread and have noticed that the Quad Core Opteron 1352 ML115 machines can now be had for £170... I was thinking of upgrading my current server's innards, but at this price it's still probably cheaper to replace the whole thing. Astonishingly inexpensive.

Associate
OP
Completely forgot about this thread :o Just thought I would update.

I now have a small cluster of 3 ML115 G5's with my original still being the main workhorse.

I have since upgraded the RAM on all 3 servers to 8GB (Damn Windows 2008 Server) with the first box taking care of AD, DHCP, DNS, Virus Scanning etc on the network. The second ML115 now is the file server with a few Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB's thrown in there. Is also does a bit of encoding/ripping my blueray/hd dvd collection and the odd CD. The Third ML115 is the VPN, Intranet, Web + FTP, ISA and MySQL Server.

Not all the tasks are running off a single OS, got VMWare ESXi running on each box :p

I did have the power supply go pop on the 2nd server but HP sorted that out very quickly. So a few months on now and I got to say they were excellent buys. Very reliable, quiet little machines.

EDIT Forgot to mention being able to run Non-ECC RAM is a huge plus, saved a bit of cash until I had the money to get them all ECC RAM.

EDIT 2: Seems you can drop in a quad core with a BIOS update and a certain website has them for £158 delivered with Opteron 1352/250GB HDD/512MB RAM.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Why exactly do you need 3 servers?

Surely one would suffice?

Same as 8gb ram in each?

At £99 each delivered, I couldn't miss the chance to grab a few. Started off as a learning project where I could create virtual networks and have a play. Eventually applied all I learned to the home network consisting of 4 laptops, 4 PC's and 2 media PC's.

Then came the control freak stage :o.

fishfishfish, It seems the 1352 is closest to the 9150e although the 1352 runs at 2.1Ghz compared to the 9150e's 1.8Ghz

Last edited:
Associate
Many thanks, RomeoS. I'll have a read up on the equivalent Phenom. There doesn't seem to be that much info available on the 1352 processor, so I wasn't sure how pokey it was. Just wondering whether it's worth going for this quad core CPU versus the cheaper dual Xeon?

Associate
OP
Many thanks, RomeoS. I'll have a read up on the equivalent Phenom. There doesn't seem to be that much info available on the 1352 processor, so I wasn't sure how pokey it was. Just wondering whether it's worth going for this quad core CPU versus the cheaper dual Xeon?

No Problem :).

I guess it comes down to what the new server will be doing. For example, I could drop a nice quad opteron on my encoding/ripping G5 and see a notable increase in performance.

What does your current server do and what are you looking to get out of a new one?

Associate
The current one was an old Quad Xeon based on two overclocked dual Prestonia chips at 3.15GHz. It performed various roles from NAS, to development webserver and VMWare Server machine. I'm currently using an old Athlon 64 3500 for the same thing, but it's struggling with the VMWare side of things, so I've been dabbling with VirtualBox on my main Q9550 machine instead.

I'd like to do the same kind of thing with one of these, maybe using ESXi, which I've not used before. Don't suppose anyone has got a Super Pi or Geekbench benchmark on any of these to make a direct comparison against have they, please? My old Quad Xeon managed just under 2000 on Geekbench and completed Super Pi in about 50 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom